Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 27 November 2011
A great follow-up album to Soul 1 and every track is really well done and produced brilliantly by Seal and his team. A must for any soul music fan.
on 1 February 2012
Seal has had a very accomplished career in music spanning two decades with hardly any flaws. Marking his 20 years in the music business, Seals' eighth album "Soul 2" as its title suggests is his second collection of Soul classics. Where the first collection of songs he released in 2008 called "Soul" had some very powerful and emotional moments, I am sad to say that I cannot say the same for this release. The interpretations tend to be quite bland and the choice of songs is possibly not that inspiring or exciting making "Soul 2" sound more like a ploy for the record company to make some money rather than enable the artist to create an authentic and credible record. Do not get me wrong - the songs are well known, successful and nicely sung. I just have such high expectations from Seal that I would want hear more originality and depth from him.

On one hand, there are great song choices which lack that special something. "Wishing On A Star" is pleasant but has seen better days in its original version sung by Rose Royce. Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" are classic Soul songs but suffer the same fate as they are interpreted in a way that makes them sound less appealing and interesting. On the other hand, there are some poor song choices. The Miracles' "Ohh Baby Baby", The O'Jays' "Back Stabbers" and The Chi-Lites "Oh Girl" are sadly given their original arrangements and fade into the background. I have to admit that I had never heard of "Love Won't Let Me Wait" by Major Harris, but it does not really draw me in nor push me away which is the main problem with this album. One song in particular that sounds out of place on here as it does not have the same sensual vibe as the other tracks is "Lean On Me", which would probably have suited "Soul" more than this release, although I have heard it way to many times before and interpreted much better.

There are some very nice moments, but they are few and far between. "Love TKO", originally recorded by Teddy Pendergrass, is possibly the highlight from this album as it retains its sensuality and flow. The second cover of a Rose Royce song, "Love Don't Live Her Anymore", is very suave and classy. "I'll Be Around" sounds just as fresh and exciting as the original version sung by The Spinners.

I am not a big fan of cover albums and prefer to hear new music from the artists that I have grown to love and respect. I will still love Seal, but I hope that this is the last time he will decide to cover songs in this manner. I really do not want to see the birth of "Soul 3" (although I will probably end up still buying it!).
on 27 November 2011
purchased this album and thought before i would slate seal for covering such great iconic soul tracks.....but i didn't...seal has a wonderful voice and obviously a soul man at heart....loved the album and if you are a true soul fan like myself...take a punt...this album is very classy.if you read this seal i loved it....dj wax..
on 16 January 2012
You could be mean about this - man produces (BBC) Radio Two album of cover versions - but what's the point? He's got a fantastic voice and these are classic tunes originally hits at the hands of Marvin Gaye, Bill Withers, Al Green, Teddy Pendergrass et al.
A couple are a little lacklustre but the ones that work, really work, such as "Wishing on a star", "Let's stay together", "Love doesn't live here anymore" and "Lean on me".
In fact, sometimes he's better than the originals because you can make out the lyrics better; some are clever and touching, others cheesy.
"Soul 2" follows his previous album "Soul" and sees him join forces once again with legendary producer Trevor Horn. "Soul" sold shedloads across the world.
From memory I seem to think Seal put out an album himself (maybe it was "Soul") but now he's back on a major label, so presumably his sales made a point for him, in which case well done.
on 13 August 2012
Soul was good and sounds better after listening to this album; probably my favourite album of 2011. Seal has an incredible feel and love for the music and it comes through on every track. I've been playing it in my car for months. Haven't found anybody who doesn't love it immediately and then it grows on you some more. Well done Seal; No 3 please !
on 23 November 2011
WELL...I THOUGHT THE ALBUM 'SOUL' WAS GREAT, BUT,'SOUL 2' IS EVEN BETTER! THIS ARTIST JUST GETS VOCALLY BETTER EVERY YEAR! A VERY NICE ARRANGEMENT. I'M A DEDICATED FAN!
on 7 October 2013
I loved this CD, it has improved on his first Soul CD. I didn't think any one could cover the soul greats like Marvin Gay or Teddy Prendergrass, but Seal does it perfectly. He covers these old great songs without adding "Twiddly Bits" which so many singers seem to think they have to do to make it their own version. If it aint broke seems to be what Seal has done with these old favourites. In fact he has actually done a better version of some of them. As a 70 year old, I didn't think I would ever be able to say that about my all-time favourites. So, thank you Seal, please give us Soul 3. I can't wait.
on 13 December 2011
Seal seals it again. Now...if only we can get someone to start writing songs that touch the soul and move the spirit like they used to. Meantime Seal, bring on volume three, there are lots of great soul songs out there waiting to get a slightly contemporary makeover or re-interpretation. Until then, get Soul 2, and Soul. Soul...Sealed and impeccably delivered.
on 28 January 2014
Seal has an amazing voice, and while you might wish he'd use it for singing his own material again, you cannot deny the soulfulness he brings to these classic songs. It repeats the formula of 'Soul 1', and (to my ears) has similarly over-egged orchestral backings which can be a distraction from the guy at the microphone and the feeling in the song. That said, Seal has one of the best set of vocal chords on the planet for this kind of material, and it's great to chill out to.
on 18 December 2011
Picking up the thread where the fantastic Soul stopped, this album features another eleven great classic soul songs. As expected the tracks are again beautifully arranged and Seal's warm voice gives them something extra. If his excellent rendition of "Love don't live here anymore" doesn't move you, then your heart must be made of stone.
Highly recommended.