The Short n' sweet

This cooler is quiet. But it's very tall. ( > 158.5 mm above the processor is required )

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

The Good. The Cooler is quiet and narrow. I had a small mother board to work with.

Published on 2 Mar. 2012 by Charles

3.0 out of 5 stars Does its job but a struggle to install and fit.
I bought this to replace the small Heat Sink which comes with AMD processors and I wasn't completely overwhelmed by this one because of a few reasons. First of which it is really tall and only just fits within side my case and if I hadn't had a larger size case it wouldn't have fitted. So take this into account when buying. It was also really hard to fit because as it is...
Published 8 months ago by Michael Winders

5.0 out of 5 stars Swings and Roundabouts - or - basically Excellent, BUT for the wider case!, 2 Mar. 2012
The Short n' sweet

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

for eg these wouldn't fit. Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler with Dual Mount Support And Nexus Low-7000 R2 Low Profile CPU Cooler : LOW-7000 R2 Yet both are quiet and efficient.

This Coolers width = 77mm with the supplied fan fitted, without it's 51mm.

The height of the pipes means it clears ram which on smaller Motherboards can be an issue. Since this was the problem with the install I undertook today, I'll add the proviso that I swapped the fan around so it sucked through the fins rather than blew, as it would have been a tight fit against the 'tall' finned ram fitted.

I could have made it work - although I would have had to ( c/o Heath Robinson ) fixed the fan to the cooler without using the supplied bracket.

Swapping the fan around from the front to back - and in this case from blow to suck made more sense, as the cooler is designed for a double fan set-up anyway, ( and the kit includes mounts for a second fan - not supplied ) This meant air movement was kept front to back as I was fitting a front fan ahead of the hard drives.

Mounting to the Motherboard is more demanding than the bog standard click fit coolers. If you're reasonably competent with a screw driver it's not a problem ( and lets face it if your opening up your computer-ma-bob you really should be shouldn't you? ) I found it easier to attach and better engineered than similar products I've fitted. All have required the Motherboard to take out / or a Case that has a access hole under the Motherboard.

Contact paste is provided.

The Bad. The cooler is really tall. It will suit a full tower case. BUT Not all 'Tower' cases are made equal however...

Measure the width of your case from the processor on the board, to metal of the case side.

You'll need more than 158.5mm

And that .5 is important.

So on the one hand the cooler is narrow meaning it clears other components, but so tall it could well foul the side of an average PC case.

For the record I needed an extra mm or two.

( Following methodology is not guaranteed to work for anyone else or any other case, and may cause personal injury and irreparable damage to you and or your PC case )

...it wasn't hard to achieve with a hammer. I'm not joking, using a tea towel to soften the blows and against the carpet, I gently hammered on the perforated section where a fan can be mounted, this created a slightly dished/raised area which gave me the millimetre or so to clear the copper tips that protrude from the main aluminium body.

In conclusion buyer beware, measure the space you have in your chosen case before committing, if you have the width available then this is a excellent quiet cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooler for a great price., 31 Mar. 2015
Great Cooler, I didn't appreciate how big it was going to be until I put it up against the stock cooler for my i5 4690K processor. Really easy to fit, completely silent even under load. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and quiet - but pretty big!, 10 Jan. 2014
I basically wanted this to replace the stock very annoying on an FX8320(running at normal clock). It was very hard to work out how big it will be once fitted so I scanned the diagram on the back of the box and put it in the customer images.

Should hopefully make it much easier for future buyers to decide whether it will fit in their case.

And... it is incredibly quiet!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit, 15 May 2015
Easy to fit. No back plate needed, just follow screw placement on the instructions, I fitted mine into/onto a standard intel socket. removed my stock cooler using the black plug lock mechanism the same as supplied with this. did a trial run with the protective plastic still attached, I could check the other side of the Mobo because I bought a new case too, to see if the black centre thing on the underside were fully extended. (watch youtubes about them plastic locks) there is a knack to it you have to turn it ready to be pushed in not turn it afterwards, though you still have to turn them after it's fitted so they don't pull out type of thing.
Cheap but absolute quality. Also, it's not heavy. My brothers both bought new CPU coolers recently, higher end but omg, they are massive and very heavy, I'd worry with that weight just hanging using my Mobo for it's support.
I've played games maxed out my Pc under load, my Cpu before was getting into the mid 60s some times, I always monitor CPU temps when gaming, now it never gets higher than mid 50's you may think mid 50's pfft but it's like if the CPU is under load the fan will stop it from dangerously high temps.
My new case may of played a part because it's larger but I still think the cooler is totally sorting the temperature of the CPU out.
I felt a bit wary with my stock cooler, I could hear it struggle when I played graphically intensive or CPU reliant games but this cooler has took my worry away. so much so that I'm only just writing a review after having it installed for a few weeks.
Oh yeah, the fan is quiet as well.
Bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a truly brilliant cooler, 18 Mar. 2013
I got this from the Cooler Master website. I would have bought it from Amazon (because Amazon's great), but I had a voucher.

Anyway, you'll want to buy this. Yes, the instructions aren't great - but I challenge you to find an aftermarket cooler, scratch that, just find any cooler master product with good instructions! If you're installing an aftermarket cooler like this, they obviously assume you know what you're doing, or at least that you can use the net. But, if you don't have access to the net, and you haven't had much experience, then this isn't that bad, provided you follow the instructions.

Anyway, onto the cooler. It's great. With this, I overclocked my fx-4100 to 4.4 Ghz, with AS5 and max temps of around 47. The big test, though, is my i5 3570k, which, using this, I OC'd to a stable 4.5, with a good deal of headroom on a max temp for the CPUTIN of 40, and a max individual core temp of 66 under 100% Prime load for 1hr. Now, given the 3570k has a reasonable 24/7 temp of around 85*C, that gives me roughly 20*C to play with. I can imagine this chip hitting 4.7, *maybe* even 4.8, and on air that's phenomenal. The only reason I haven't is because I'm waiting for my replacement PSU.

Some pointers to get the best temps:
-The fan twists as you screw it in - don't let it do this, you'll need to hold it still.
-Screw the screws in with only 1 turn per screw, and then switch diagonally, then keep this going until you're done. If you do this unevenly (e.g. screw each screw fully individually) then the thermal paste will spread unevenly.
-Think about thermal paste. Use either the line method or the 'pea' method for thermal paste application. NEVER, EVER, EVER, spread it with a card or touch it with anything, even if your super-ultra-knowledgeable computer buddy tells you to. He/she is wrong. This adds air bubbles and heat, and even if it didn't, there's no point. The paste will spread itself properly if you apply a drop to the middle, and the heat is generated at the centre of the CPU, not the corners. Personally I prefer the 'pea' method, and in fact, use less than a pea size. Also, if you put the cooler on and then take it off again, you'll need to reapply the paste, even if it was only on for a second, otherwise you end up with more demon air bubbles. You'll also need to get some decent paste. Yes, this now comes with paste, and it's surprisingly good. I'd go so far as to say it's better than the supposedly 'market-leading' Arctic-Silver 5. But that's because, contrary to popular opinion, AS5 isn't so great any more. My paste of choice is MX-2.
-You *can* mount this horizontally. However, I wouldn't advise it. The fan is not really designed for horizontal mounting, so if you do choose to go that way, replace it.
-Think about airflow before you blame the fan for your rubbish temps. Tidy those cables, and get a case fan on intake at the front and one of exhaust at the back. Generally, more than that won't help, except in some cases - but have a fiddle around and fine the best setup for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good CPU cooler for the asking price, 8 April 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've used this as my main "non standard" CPU cooler for a while now.
It's a good choice for many users, a: Moderate overclockers on a budget, b: Quite pc fans
Another advantage, it can be fitted to the board without taking it out, and it's multi socket compatible

This is one of the best bang per buck cpu coolers out there
Do check the measurements of the cooler though, they are:
Total height: 136mm
Width: 90mm
Depth including fan fitted: 76mm
Clearance from base to first fin (ie for memory clearance): 36.4mm

It's a decent size for a tower cooler (certainly bigger than a normal stock cooler) I've not had problems with memory clearance either (but double check for some of the larger heatsinks on some ram modules)

Pros:
+ Good performance, and excellent thermal cooling (for a tower 92mm unit)
+ Outperforms stock coolers with ease, well made with a good number of fins to remove heat from the CPU
+ Can be fitted to the board without removing it (take note for cases that don't allow mobo access to the back plate)
+ More compact size allows fitting to micro atx cases (some 120mm tower untis might be too big for your case)
+ Takes a standard size 92mm fan, so easy to replace the fan if needed (I avoid custom heatsinks that don't take normal fans)

Cons:
- Supplied fan is decent, but there are better alternatives for quite pc fans (it's not hugely noisy at lower rpms, but not the best solution)
- I would use your own premium thermal paste for the best thermal performance (lots of choices out there)

This is my "go to" cpu cooler for most builds where I am not doing extreme overclocking (but maybe some) For heavy overclockers you might want to look at the 120mm fan units (make sure it will fit your case though) The CM 212 is a good bet, but there are lots of alternatives around from many makers

For quite pc builds this is also a very good choice, though I tend to replace the fan with a Gelid 92mm silent (either the 3 pin normal fan or a pwm unit) The fan supplied is ok though, just not as quiet as I would like for builds of this type. It's a pwm fan which has universal support, but do check if you are replacing a fan on an older board.

I have this installed on a few AMD FX systems no problems either with the 6 or 8 series processors, and you can overclock quite a lot more than v the standard cooler. If you are going to push things hard though I'd suggest a 120mm unit.

For the money this is a very decent cooler though and one of the best I've used, good performance, decent build, and a very attractive price

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is a Truely "Bang for the Buck" product!, 24 Dec. 2013
I have noticed that the price bumped up compared to when I bought one 2 weeks ago. But the bottom line is, if you are on a budget and need a really good..yes you heard it right.. "Really Good" CPU cooler to replace the generic stock coolers that come from CPU's you buy, this CPU cooler is a must! This CPU is big, silent and does what it supposed to do, keep your CPU from getting a very deadly fever! Even at Turbo Technology speed on my i5 @3.8 this cooler keeps it at the ideal operating temperature of my CPU, the same story when I Over clock at 4 or 4.2-4.4, the CPU temps don't go over a certain range which is good. One thing to watch out though is being careful what Computer case you pair it with! I recommend getting a Mid ATX such as , a Z9U3 (im currently using), a Z11 Plus, a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (this cases I mentioned are windowed!) and many more... I personally recommend a Case that has a Case panel window so you will give your eye's something to enjoy!! Also get a case that is at 50 quid or more range, because you just don't wanna cheap out on the housing!. Other than that, I recommend this product specially when you are in a budget, because you don't need all the fancy water cooling *****! no just kidding, but ye if you got money to save get this cooler this is a definition of Bang for Buck :), if you got money to use up, then I guess get a decent dual fan water cooling for CPU. :) Happy Holidays!

4.0 out of 5 stars Granted when the side panel is fitted it just touches the heatpipes but not to the level where it prevents the panel from being, 6 May 2015
This was bought to replace the stock cooler on my i7 processor. Is fitted to a ASUS Z97-A motherboard which is in a CiT Neptune case.
There are mixed remarks online whether the EVO fits the Neptune case.... it does! Granted when the side panel is fitted it just touches the heatpipes but not to the level where it prevents the panel from being fitted easily.

The fan is nice and quiet and installation was straight forward - but do familierise yourself with the instructions before fitting... you don't want to get the supports the wrong way round or fit the wrong support pillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cooler and fitted better than the T4, 10 Aug. 2014
Just installed this in my PC to replace the stock AMD cooler. That worked ok but in the hot weather it was noisy and the temp of my CPU kept exceeding 65C.

It look slightly longer to fit as I had to remove the motherboard to fit the special backplate. Once that was done the rest was straightforward. A long thin screw driver definitely helped.

As will all coolers if you have never fitted one and never used thermal paste then I recommend watching a few YouTube videos to get a feel for it. It's not difficult but always nice to see the device fitted by someone else.

I'm not going to say much about the noise as *everyone* has different opinions on what is acceptable. What I will say is that it performs better than the stock cooler when the room temp is up, it is good value for money and well made. The noise of the fan in my NAS is the most noticeable thing on my desk now.

I fitted it on a Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard with AMD FX8320. I previously got a Cooler Master T4 cooler but that didn't fit due to it clashing with my RAM. The great thing about the 212 is that you can rotate it 90 degrees if required and the fan can be fitted on the other side. This gives you more fitting options. Looking at the 212 and the T4 they are basically the same but the flexibility of the 212 is much nicer. If only I had gone for this one in the first place!

Check the total height of this. It is quite tall and I only had 5mm spare once I put the side panel back on my case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing (+1Ghz on 2500K), 30 April 2013
Just awesome.

Pro: Very quiet, very powerful, very affordable.
Contra: Huge. Sticks out 1/2" of my cheapo case which hasn't had the lid on for ages anyway.

i5-2500K TDP 95W. Throttles down at 95-100 celsius.

The stock cooler (with a few months of dust) can dissipate 105-110W on 18-20 celsius room temperature.
This will take my CPU to 36x103=3.7GHz (1.1V) sustained. Fantastic! (stock was 3.3Ghz+turbo)

I could push to 46x103=4.7Ghz on stock cooler but with Intel Burn Test it went to 95+ celsius in seconds and throttled down to 3.3GHz. I finally settled to 42x103 that held up for most jobs without throttling down.

Change came with the 212 EVO.
With this I can have the 4.7Ghz (1.36V, 130W max) sustained however long I want at 80 celsius.
My CPU won't do a second on 4.8GHz even at 1.4V (above what I'm unvilling to go) so that's about it without burning it. Happy.

That is +1GHz on the 4 cores.

Money very very well spent!

(MB: ASUS P8Z68-V LE, Software for tuning: ASUS AI suite 2 + bios, Intel Burn Test, Open Hardware Mionitor)