4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility, Signal Strength and Firmware Updates.
After some initial confusion about firmware updates I was very impressed with this router. I would have rated 5/5 if it wasn't for the firmware issue as it's not mentioned in the manual.

Vote useful if you need a firmware installation guide, I have included below.

Published 21 months ago by bob

2.0 out of 5 stars Product was too Unstable
Unfortunately this product was somewhat unstable with the connection regularly stalling and having to reset. The stick itself was operating fine and in the same location plugged into a PC it worked flawlessly. I own other TP-Link products that are really superb, so this product was unfortunately a let down.
Published 16 months ago by fwdlink

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility, Signal Strength and Firmware Updates., 11 Mar 2013

Vote useful if you need a firmware installation guide, I have included below.

Compatibility - Purchased a 3 network (using in the UK) Huawei e353 dongle and it worked straight out of the box with no firmware updates. Had an old e1550 dongle by Huawei that I couldn't get to work, even though was stated on the TP-Link website that it was supported.

Signal Strength - I love in a large old 3 bed flat with solid brick walls between every room and I get full signal on my mac, and cheap £100 tablet in every room.

THERE IS NO INSTRUCTIONS on how to do a firmware update. So, for those people who have dongles that should be compatible with this device and cannot figure this out, here's how:

Download the latest firmware from the TP-Link site.

Save it to desktop for ease of access or wherever you please.

Plug in the router and connect to you're PC/Mac via the ethernet cable as described in the user manual.

Type the TP-Link IP address (192.168.0.1 is default) and enter you're user/account name and password (admin, admin is default).

Look down the left hand side menu and select 'System Tools'.

In this drop down menu select 'Firmware Upgrade'.

Copy and paste the location of the firmware upgrade you downloaded or select browse and locate the file that way.

Click upgrade.

VOILA.

Hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought to use with Huawei E3256 dongle, 14 April 2013
Bought this to replace the previous Version 1 MR3420 as the old version does not work with the new DC-HSDPA+ Huawei E3256 dongle from '3'. There seems to be a lot of confusion with listings as to whether the actual product received will be Version 1 or Version 2. TP-Link Support put me on to this exact listing and it is indeed the version 2. I should add that TP_Link support were very quick to answer my email queries.
A small problem I found which may help others is that the newer Huawei E3256 dongle is very reluctant to work when used with a 5m extension (as per my old set-up) and I managed to get this working by adding a ferrite core choke to the extension. There are no such problems when using my old Huawei E323 dongle. My internet speed with the new dongle has now doubled and is consistently around 6MB (yes appalling but I am only on one bar in a very rural location).
Very much recommended. Dual-band would have been nice but this is such a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK - Great little product and great price, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: TP-Link TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N Router (2.4 GHz, 150 Mbps, USB 2.0, Travel Router (AP)) (Personal Computers)
This TP-LINK Router is a great little product, looks and feels a lot more expensive too. I've set up my office in garage at the rear of my house which yet doesn't have a landline. After reading up on 3G Routers I decided to take the plunge and go with the TP-LINK product. Once I received the router I followed the set-up wizzard, installed my T-mobile modem and hey presto up and running within minutes and this little router also allows me to connect to my Ipad and my desktop PC.

All my worries gone - Thanks Amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Product was too Unstable, 13 Aug 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but why no UK plug, 21 Dec 2012
Great. Easy to set up, by simply following the instructions and I would not rate myself as very IT savvy. I use 3 ZTE MF112 dongle and didn't have to download any extra TP Link software for use in UK. It does just what I wanted ie let me connect my wifi devices to the internet, rather than be limited to plugging the dongle just into my PC. Have tried it both in the house and since it's small taken it with me to use on the train and on trips away from home (in the UK) and been pleased with it's performance.

From reading earlier reviews I knew the power cable was short and indeed it is, which can be a bit inconvenient and reduce signal to the dongle. However the main reason I can only give 4* is it arrived with a non-UK plug, fortunately I had an UK/European adaptor at home so could get it working but would have been really disappointed otherwise as it would have been pretty useless. Why Amazon don't check this or state it in the write up I don't know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh you beauty!, 15 Feb 2012
I was expecting the usual frustrations and irritations in setting up this sort of thing - I was wrong! The web interface is great - no surprises, everything where you would expect it, and everything is responsive and intuitive and does what you expect. And every page in the interface has its own on-page Help - useful explanations written in actual intelligible English by someone who apparently knows what they are talking about and can communicate. Just brilliant.

Setup was a breeze, and I was all up and running in 10 minutes flat. Thank you TP-Link - way to go! A number of big-name manufacturers who should know better could learn a lot from what TP-Link are doing here.

If I had one teensy criticism - it is that by default the wireless is turned on and unsecured. That's not smart, and that and the default admin password is the first thing you want to change when you set it up. Only other things I had to configure were on the Wireless screen where you tell it you are in the UK for wifi, and on the 3G screen where you tell it your country (UK again) and 3G provider ('Three' in my case).

It worked perfectly with a Huawei E353 on the 'Three' network, which is one of the dongles that TP-Link have on their compatibility list ( [...] ). It also worked seamlessly with my Huawei E169, which isn't on the list - just plugged it in and away it went.

A great easy-to-use and trouble-free bit of kit.

NOTE: The March 2012 firmware (120309) omits some of the info on the status page (bad TP-Link - have docked you a star for this). In the 3G section of the Status page it tells you the dongle model and the 3G signal strength. But with the 120309 firmware this info is missing (even though the help on that page still refers to the now non-existent Signal Strength heading). So I have rolled-back to the 110418 firmware (happily still available on the TP-Link downloads page), which has that info in the Status page and is good.

ANOTHER NOTE: In May 2012 they released v120503 of the firmware, and that reinstated the 3G signal strength bar. Now running on that and all is fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit..., 17 Dec 2011
This is a nice bit of kit - better than the stupid Hotshot routers that the main network providers try to pawn off on people...

4.0 out of 5 stars router, 26 Aug 2011
I bought this router for my son to go with his xbox 360,he is very happy with it and also tells me that its a good price.It was my son who introduced me to amazon and im so glad he did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance for the price, 6 Feb 2011
CAS (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I am using this with an O2 3G modem on T-Mobile with great results; it has allowed the mobile broadband connection to be used with multiple computers just like an ADSL wireless router without installing the (crap) software drivers/utility with 3G modem.

OK, so it's not as polished as established brands (insert here ;), but the firmware is updated regularly - every month so far - and it worked with both O2 and T-Mobile modems with no issues (O2 modem is better with T-Mobile SIM). Not that established brands have good firmware these days - and try getting upgrades for them - at least TP-Link releases updates...

Personally I'm very happy with this, loads of functionality, reasonable quality, many updates and cheap price - compared with established brands of similar build quality, not much better firmware, next to no updates and much higher price. They only have themselves to blame for racing to the bottom...

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, cheerful and fast, 1 April 2011
Miljenko Williams (Chester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this router to set up an ADSL-type wireless connection using 3G in Spain. I needed an unlocked dongle to go with it and a SIM card to try it out before going over there. Along with this router, which seemed cheap, cheerful and fast, at least from its specifications, I bought an apparently untested dongle - the LM003 3G USB HSUPA Unlocked Modem - and a pre-paid 3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Sim.

I first installed the dongle directly on my PC, which seemed a pretty smooth process - and very soon was browsing at speeds almost indistinguishable from my ADSL connection. In fact, some process of optimisation seemed to be taking place - things definitely got faster the longer I was connected.

I then connected up the dongle directly to the router, and the router to the PC via an ethernet cable (included with the kit): this allowed me to configure the router to connect to the Internet using Three's setup details. Once I managed to work out how to do this, there were no problems with the router, the dongle in question or, indeed, in my area, with Three's reception. I didn't even have to update firmware. This dongle works perfectly with this router - or at least for me it does.

I am very pleased I decided to combine this router with the LM dongle. Both are sturdy and well-made - and I saved about 40 GBP on what the equivalent Zoom setup would have cost me. All I have left to do now is also to connect the router up to my ADSL connection, and I'll have a back-up Internet whenever one or other goes down. Yep. This router can do that too. Can't wait to try it out. In fact, I may need to leave it here - and buy another one for Spain.

Oh, and by the way, I wrote, edited and posted this review using all the above - with Skype, TweetDeck, Gmail and a whole host of other things running in the background!