5.0 out of 5 stars Jonny: My Autobiography
3 nights into book and 250 pages read.

This is undoubtedly the best autobiography I have read.

From an outsider looking in it seems that Mr Wilkinson gave a lot of time and thought to it. This makes a pleasant change to books where it is clear the subject was not that interested in the process and end result.

The media have always...
Published on 18 Nov 2011 by Haydn Hertz

1.0 out of 5 stars Move along, nothing to see here!!
After reading all the previous reviews I thought I was on to a winner with this book. How wrong was I!! It's one of the most depressing and frustrating books I've ever had the misfortune to read. I like reading sporting bios where the star has a bit I vulnerability but this takes the biscuit. How he gets out of bed in the morning I don't know. Every little decision is...
Published 25 days ago by gavin wylie

5.0 out of 5 stars Jonny: My Autobiography, 18 Nov 2011
3 nights into book and 250 pages read.

This is undoubtedly the best autobiography I have read.

The media have always suggested that he was a perfectionist but prior to reading this book I was not fully appreciative of what `perfectionist' meant.

His relationship with his brother is fascinating and as a father of 4 I would be delighted if my children are as close as Jonny and Sparks.

Haydn Hertz

5.0 out of 5 stars memoirs of a perfectionist, 24 Nov 2011
Jonny has once again surpised us with this brutally honest but totally absorbing autobiography.
JW is not just a great and unique sportman who stands out head and shoulder above all rugby players.
Jonny is also a fascinating complex intelligent sensitive human being who is on his own personal quest to enlightement, always learning and searching for the truth.
This is a great book from an truly exceptional young man. Thanks Jonny!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book, 22 Nov 2011
A very good read from start to finish. The book gives a truthful and honest account of Jonny`s life and career. It takes you through the ups and downs of a top sportsman. A must read book for anybody interested in sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book, 21 Nov 2011
Kevin Wyre (Chigwell, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It has been apparent for many years that Jonny Wilkinson is not just an 'ordinary' sportsman; this book is further compelling proof. Committed, if not driven, beyond the comprehension of most of us, Jonny has always been a bit of an enigma. The national hero of 2003, he unfortunately saw the other side of the fame coin through countless injury setbacks but always kept his own counsel and dignity, refusing to flaunt his fame in the outer reaches of the 'celebrity' goldfish bowl.

Like the man this book doesn't disappoint. Open with the truth and hard hitting it gives a unique opportunity to view in close-up a unique hero of English sport. Should be required reading for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars OCD and Angst but a great read!!, 24 Dec 2011
G. Brooks "brooksy" (a Brit abroad) - See all my reviews
I must admit it is difficult to be objective, as an ex rugby player who thinks Jonny Wilkinson is a God. However I will do my best.

The book starts with psychological self analysis from childhood and continues much in this way throughout the rest of the book. I suppose you could say it is a little repetitive. That may be true but it is an insanely addictive read to have laid before you the inner, darkest thoughts, of a professional sportsman.

To be honest I have never been a knocker of Jonny W and always hoped he would get fit quickly and come back to play for England again. The book will give you a great insight into just how hard he tried. In fact he couldn't have tried any harder.

The book will give you another side to Jonny W. The fragile, self doubting, side a real opposite to his media profile of hard tackling hit man.

This is an excellent read and it is the first book I have read, cover to cover, in under 3 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most honest autobiography out there, 18 Nov 2011
This was a gripping, honest and touching book, which you can tell was written from the heart. Never before have I read such an open account of someone's career and life.
I can't recommend this book enough. One of the greatest sportsmen of out time delivers the most powerful book of the year

5.0 out of 5 stars Jonny, we're sorry..., 17 Jun 2012
I was absolutely infuriated about how Jonny Wilkinson was treated by both British press and much of the public during, and after, the 2011 Rugby World Cup. Oh how short the public memory can be - and how fickle the armchair sports pundit. One of the many reasons this book is a must-read is that Jonny never let much slip in interviews during his career, being the consummate professional he is. But here, every possible emotion JW has experienced in his lengthy career is poured forth without compromise. After the first few chapters of this book, only the most informed of people on JW will not be stunned by what he has to say.

The perfectionist nature of the man is known - but learning the extent to which this trait has consumed his life came as a shock. The frank and sometimes distorted view JW has about his own talents and abilities are unbelievable. After reading quite a few Rugby Union autobiographies now - Ronan O'Gara, Lewis Moody, Martin Johnson and Donncha O'Callaghan among them - it is clear that a lot of insecurity exists in large union squads about competition for places. Keen to know how this affected JW during his significant spells through injury, I was extremely saddened by what I read. The man has had, despite the large point totals and achievements, a bittersweet career; and one of the most interesting points of the book is how the 2003 victory represented both a zenith and a nadir in his life.

Of every single sporting autobiography I have ever read, in terms of brutal honesty, only 'Open' by Andre Agassi comes remotely close to this. However, JW's book, unsurprisingly, is without any of the razzmatazz and hyperbole of 'Open', which leaves the reader with the closest thing to the working of a sporting mind yet written. Fantastic prose and style, and, despite the aforementioned serious insight, there is some humour and fun along the way.

I would go as far as to suggest that everyone who claims to be an English union fan should read this book. JW has been the ultimate professional and servant for his country; and all without the gaffs from Botham and public vulgarity of Beckham. Anyone who rubbished JW during injury, or forgot what he has achieved should read this and then feel truly ashamed of themselves. An utterly compelling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Jonny: My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Although I am, without doubt, a rugby fan you don't have to be to be blown away by this book. There are all too many "celebrity" books which range from kiss and tell to just the most mundane. This is nothing of the sort. Whilst it will always have to have rugby in it, it is a truly stunning opportunity to see the inner machinations of one of the greatest, but introspective, sportsman I have had the pleasure to watch.

Before Jonny became a house hold name I used to know his father. His face would light up when he spoke of his boys. Having read the book it is easy to see why. I think than any father who had sons who lived with such integrity could quite happily stand tall.

A fascinating, unstoppable insight in to a man less ordinary. I'd like to thank Jonny for sharing it with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Inspiration, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: Jonny: My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I have read many autobiographies, in particular by sports greats, many have inspirational qualities, but this book is head and shoulders above any biography I have read. A book of this size usually takes me a couple of months. This one took me 3 days! The writing flows with plenty of pace. His story is magnificent and although I have been a follower and immense fan of Jonny with Newcastle and his international career, this book really gives you the feeling of what it has been like for him over the years... at times I almost felt like a member of his family. He takes us on his personal emotional rollercoaster ride with every twist and turn in his career. As the reader, every emotional button will be pressed! His story has made such a huge impression on me.... although the book is not intended to be purely about motivating others ... his story demonstrates the idea that we should never underestimate the insecurity of others ... you cannot read this book and not be humbled by his sacrifice to achieve and so as a reader be motivated to do more. Personally speaking since reading this book my outlook and positivity levels have been raised through the roof for 2012 and rather than think about it (as I have for the last year) I have cleaned my boots and joined the coaching team for my local junior rugby club.... I hope many more read it and are equally inspired.
Thank you Jonny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, fascinating biography - one of the best out there!, 20 Dec 2011
Asmodeous (North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One of the finest rugby biographies - honest, frank and full of interesting insights. The more I read thegreater my respect for Jonny became. I was interested to see how vulnerable Jonny was and how much he benefited from the guiding support and deep empathy of family and quality coaches. Jonny is a perfectionist and reading the account is akin to someone diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. Obsessive compulsion(often directed via kicking practice), a desire to make everything right and to take personal blame for things out of control, a strong desire to follow the rules and great stress when others break these, extreme agitation if seemingly minor things go wrong etc. In many ways the biography tells how with the right handling and support of family real potential can be realised. But coaches of young kids beware -there are so many instances where Jonny could have easily failed or people could have given up on him. In many ways it is inspiring to know that someone who has achieved so much in their career was plagued by the kind of self doubt and concerns as the rest of us mortals - but psychologically even worse as Jonny is his own extreme task master and as hard on himself as anyone could be. Very disciplined. Amazing. Great to hear of guys like Neil Back and Mike Catt who generously helped the young Jonny when he was first starting out for the England team.The difference is Jonny kept going, aiming for perfection and achieving his dreams. Basically never give up. After reading this I can not see how anyone dare question Jonny's pride in his country and commitment to professionalism in the recent World Cup. This guy is a real hero and a superb role model for all of us interested in rugby. One day I hope he lends his skills to coaching and management of the England team.Top biography!

Jonny: My Autobiography