4.0 out of 5 stars The continuing adventures
I have taken a long while to get round to this, it's been in my reading pile for a couple of years. I very much enjoyed the first one but for some reason this kept being pushed to the back of the pile, along with the follow up which is also in there. Well that was my mistake, because this is good stuff.

Following on from The Forgotten Legion (captured...
Published on 23 Aug 2011 by Nick Brett

3.0 out of 5 stars too many visionaries
Published on 1 July 2009 by Sagan

4.0 out of 5 stars The continuing adventures, 23 Aug 2011
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Following on from The Forgotten Legion (captured Legionaries being forced to fight for the Parthians) we find the soldiers far out to the East protecting the Parthian borders against the likes of the Scythians (nomadic tribesmen). The focus is on Romulus a Roman, Brennus a massive Gaul and Tarquinius a soothsayer. Mistrusted by their Parthian masters and some of their fellow Legionaries, the trio are desperate to get home and hope that Tarquinius's visions will keep them alive and help them realise their destinies.

Back in Rome, Romulus's sister Fabiola is the lover of Brutus who is away in Gaul with Caesar at a time where violent gangs are running wild in Rome and the Roman empire itself is on the edge of anarchy.

The best historical fiction does not just place characters in an era, but involves them in significant events of the time and has peripheral characters we will recognise. Ben Kane has done the research to provide a real and vibrant background to his story. The balance of the battles out in the East and the politics of Rome is an interesting one and although on one or two occasions the author does build up an interest in characters, only to then discard them, the story remains interesting and unpredictable.

I enjoyed it and am surprised at some criticism in other reviews, this is a good follow up to The Forgotten Legion and Ben Kane continues to be an author to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for 3rd book, 8 Aug 2009
cholser (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
I qualify my review by saying I haven't read Iggulden, Scarrow et al, so I came to this series with no benchmark in the genre. The closest my usual interest gets is in reading military history, where my bias lies in accounts of the experiences of the foot soldiers, and that aspect is what drew me in to this excellent series.
Where the Forgotten Legion introduces the characters and plot, from the sweat and dust of the arena to the intrigues of the brothel - the Silver Eagle picks up where the action left off and brings it to another level. The action is relentless and it's scope is epic, blending the wars and politics of the Republic to adventures at the edges of the known world. The characters develop well as the twins mature and become more world-wise and Tarquinius is more dark and ambiguous. This book has been greatly enhanced by the addition of a very informative glossary.
The bottom line for me is that I'm hooked and can't wait to find out what happens next - the mark of a great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars too many visionaries, 1 July 2009
I bought the Forgotten Legion on e-book and read it on holiday-I enjoyed it . The Silver Eagle is also enjoyable but the slight element of mysticism in the first book has now been somewhat overplayed-several characters now have visions of the future .I would prefer Ben Kane to stick more to gritty historical fiction-but that is just a personal opinion (I will still buy the next one !)

2.0 out of 5 stars Makes the action-packed boring, 24 July 2012
Enquirer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I never thought that I would find an action-packed military novel boring, but this time I did! I can see why sales for this kind of fiction are initially healthy and then demand suddenly tails off. Clearly, other reviewers enjoy Ben Kane more than me. Revealingly, one mentioned his lack of familiarity with the 'benchmarks' of the genre, authors like Conn Iggulden and Simon Scarrow. Both are twice as good. It's a case of thinking bad wine is good because you have never tasted the best.

Kane cleraly knows his Roman military topic well, and extensively explains at the back why he deviated so often from either fact or likelihood. All through the book I had assumed that it was pure ignorance producing the bloopers. I was outraged that he actually knew what he was doing!

What most of you care about is whether it is an exciting read. Well, the answer is no. The heroes fight too often in too similar a situation, usually when anyone with sense would and could avoid it. Every character is in just too much peril too much of the time. It becomes tedious. The motives of the key figures are too limited and not particularly believable. We are constantly reminded of them, as if the author doesnt quite believe they are sufficient either. I found the portrayal of Romulus's prostitute sister Fabriola the most unconvincing and the most irritating too.

Factually, I can stretch to Kane's claim that there is 'evidence' for women being allowed to worship the god Mithras in the east. (Although, in fact I'm pretty sure that it's incorrect.) But to make it acceptable among Romans in Rome, even before the cult really got established there, is unnecessarily pushing it. And why bother to do so, I ask? It's just to put the silly trollop into yet more self-created trouble she does not deserve to survive.

This could have been a good book with a third cut out and the action tightened up. Expect to regularly see on a market stall near you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read, 12 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With the Roman genre rapidly expanding it is not easy to keep up with all the new authors in the genre. It is also not so easy to know who is worth your ££ and pence and who isnt.

Ben Kane is one i can assure you is worth it. after the first book i was hooked, his mix of fact fiction and Myth sets the book apart from the usual mundane, add in the pace and characterisation of the calibre of Scarrow and Riches and you get an idea of his skills.

Im well and truly left adrift at the end of each book gagging for the next one longing to know what will be the next episode in the lives of these new friends i have made (Romulus, Brennus, Tarquinius & Fabiola) add to that the tantalising hints at parentage the back drop of the Roman , Scythian, Etruscan and many other worlds and you can see why Ben Kane is a new power in this Genre, long may he remain.
(Parm)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Silver Eagle, 11 July 2010
If you enjoyed the Forgotten Legion, you will absolutely love this book. I haven't been able to put it down. Nail biting all the way! Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 14 Jun 2010
This is the second book in the Forgotten Legion Chronicles, and I must admit I am hooked. The characters and scenery are so well described that I feel transported there every time I pick up the book. Well done Ben keep them coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Silver Eagle, 28 May 2010
Great reading. Tarquinius, Romulus and Brennus battle their way on the Margianna front finally escaping in the big battle with the Indian army. Sadly one of the trio dies (not saying who).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Silver Eagle, 11 Feb 2010
David Kaye "Dave Kaye" (Wembury, South Hams, England) - See all my reviews
I found this book absolutely riveting. Once started I had to read it at every available opportunity until it was completed. I then imediately ordered the sequel.

Although it is the usual mix of sex violence power and greed the setting made it most intersting. Although this does not often happen I empathised with one of the characters (I will not admit to which one!)

Although this is fiction it is written so as to to seem at least plausible and thus gave an insight into life at that time.

I thoroughly recommend it as a first class read.

David Kaye
Wembury, South Hams.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long too much padding, 19 Sep 2012
MP Collins (Australia) - See all my reviews
Having read the first in the series of this sand and sandles epic I was looking forward to this one as it was striking out into unknown territory. The lost legions of the east and modern day references to blue eyed inhabitants with Caucasian features in the towns around the western Gobi stimulated that interest. I was disapointed, not only did it take an age to get halfway there and no further, but the constant flashbacks to the wretched sister, who's story would have best been told in a seperate volume, meant that by page 250 I was speed reading which is a shame because the story could have been so much better.
I have volume three in the series and intend leaving it for awhile but as it runs to 600 pages I can see another dose of boredom setting in. My advice would be a limit around 400 pages, a lot less padding, ditch the girl, less of the soothsayer visionary stuff and focus an undoubted talent for historical faction.
I am not sure whether I will continue after number three somehow I doubt it