4.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad but could be better...
I purchased this mainly for the recording function and,so far, it has worked perfectly (although by mistake I managed a 24 hour recording!)The instruction for recording are not entirely accurate as it should say "..hold the info button until the display flashes then let go and press the tuning up or down buttons...." The instructions make it sound as though you hold both...
Published on 30 Dec. 2011 by decksj

1.0 out of 5 stars An expensive disappointment.
I bought this because I record a lot of radio broadcasts to listen to at my leisure, and I thought this would be ideal. I was wrong. It records onto and SD card alright, although everything does have to be set manually, when it would have been much better with EPG. Admittedly, I was aware of this before I bought it, but I wasn't prepared for its other drawbacks. 1) You...
Published on 13 Dec. 2011 by BeeJay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky but does the job for me, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Roberts Record R DAB/FM RDS/SD Digital Portable Radio Recorder (Electronics)
I wanted a radio to tape programs that I could listen to later and which aren't always available on `listen again' or podcasts, so did a bit of research. It appeared that the Roberts is the only one available. I wouldn't have bought it judging by the reviews, but decided to take a chance.
All the things that the earlier reviewers said are true -
The manual is wrong.(see decksj's review for details.
When setting a recorder, don't take too long to read the manual as it goes back to the beginning after a few seconds !
You can't check the settings on each of the recorders without inputting the settings again.
It is mono.
You have to delete recordings using a laptop or pc.
After setting a recorder, don't switch it off at the mains, as it will default the end time to the start time and try to do a 24hr recording !
That said, although it is a bit tricky to set recordings and it is a bit like an 80's VCR to operate, once you get the hang of it and make sure you don't switch it off at the mains etc., it does do the job.
I have just discovered radio 4Extra plays and can now record them and listen to them and Radio 2's Sound of the 60's while washing up !
I also find it's little quirks quite amusing. I get around not easily being able to see what is set to record by keeping a paper list of the settings and what I expect to have recorded when I come home. They are now nearly always what I expect them to be !
All in all I am pretty pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Radio, 19 July 2013
Am very pleased with it , does the job as stated. It is much smaller than I expected therefore sound quality not all that good but using head phones excellent quality. It is also very useful for playing back audio books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 Aug. 2013
Arrived on time and was ready to record the Wagner concerts from the Proms. Results have been excellent and have been able to listen to something in full at a time of my choice. Good quality and very good reproduction.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for recording to sd card, 19 Aug. 2013
Mr. R. Davies - See all my reviews
I bought this particularly for the recording facility. Having read all the reviews and therefore being aware of the problems with the radio, I didnt think it was worth the amazon price so I got one on ebay. I found the "locking" when the signal isn't strong enough a nuisance, having to keep taking the batteries out, so I fitted a "push-to-break" switch to one of the battery leads (£1.79 from Maplins). This makes life a lot easier.

Speech does sound a bit muffled when on low volume, but for music it seems fine. The instant record facility works fine, but i havent tried the auto record facility yet as it seems a very fiddly long-winded process.

Looking at the handbook, I worked out that a 32GB SD card will give between 225 and 450 hours recording depending on the number of bits per second being downloaded.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be great but full of flaws!, 3 Jan. 2015
S. Simmonds (UK) - See all my reviews
If this is left on for a day or so you cannot turn it off and it doesn't respond to the buttons! You have to unplug it and remove the batteries! This has been reported by others. So there is an inherent bug in the firmware. Also, if you want to record a program - don't press the Record button!!! You have to Press AND HOLD the Record button!!! Yeah - really obvious!
To set up a timed recording just follow the 20-steps in the instructions!!!
Looks nice and sounds good - but really difficult to program or operate. If only they added a few more nicely labelled buttons instead of trying to save a few £ by making the controls really complex and fixed the firmware, this could be quite good.
Can't recommend but I couldn't find anything else to replace it with (I returned the first one and the 2nd was just the same).

4.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with the model, 1 May 2012
An excellent radio,been waiting a long time for this sort of radio.
I can record my away football commentaries whilst at the away matches.
Except when is transmitted ion medium wave.
It saves me dragging my bulky Roberts RD1 to away football matches.
If I could find another one a bit cheaper than the 100 quid at the moment I would buy another one.
The only downside is it records in half hour chunks and is not like the RD1 which
records continuously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated specifications, 2 April 2015
I bought this radio which arrived well packaged without the annoying polystyrene. Following the instruction manual (boring but I find always essential because of bits you don't think of) the set up was easy and only took a few seconds. After plugging in to the mains I was listening to the radio in under a minute. The next test was the SD card. I had an old photo 2 GB card to hand so in it went. No problem and a quick pause recording was made and OK. Then the real test of a timer recording. Again, no problem. All was checked against the PC and OK. The radio has been updated to allow management of the SD card in situ. All in all a good radio and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts come up trumps again, 22 Jan. 2015
Usual Roberts quality.
Loads of features, includind pause/record etc.
I use it as a portable MP3 player with music on 32Gb SD card (as well as high quality FM/DAB radio)
Expensive? - worth the money in my opinion!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised ..., 23 May 2013
Amazon Customer (Harrow, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For a long time I had wanted the ability to: (i) record from the radio; (ii) be able to live pause radio. I noticed two on the market at this sort of price and both seem to have mixed feedback.

After lots of internet searching and indecision (the previous reviews seemed to suggest some interesting flaws) I finally decided to purchase it.

I've only had it a week but I am quite impressed:
1. Additional features mean that you can now delete a file/delete all files in a folder/Format an SD card from the radio.
2. The instructions have now been corrected with errors previous raised.

I think that the controls are quite intuitive and it all seems easy to use. I have recorded stuff, played it on my computer, and generally I don't think I have had any problems.

I am quite impressed - but still at the trying it out phase - and learning how it all works.

I am glad I gave it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little DAB and many improvements made to previous models, 13 Mar. 2015
P. Duncan "Nevermadeitasarockstar" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Brilliant little DAB and many improvements made to previous models. Better sound than previous reviews led me to believe. Recording facility excellent and dead useful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›