4.0 out of 5 stars A Shift away from Jazz to embrace Electronica.
So after 2 albums of Jazz-influenced acoustic music, the Portico Quartet change their line-up and shift their direction. The question of course, is where to? But it's difficult to pin down and I still detect an element of improvisation, although it's a million miles from straight ahead Jazz.

The first 4 or 5 tracks embrace electronics, sampling and sequencing...
Published on 6 Feb 2012 by Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars My first experience of Londons finest
Being a jazz fan in the 21st century is a curious position to find yourself in. I'd imagine it's not quite synonymous with being one in say the late 1960's when rock music had almost completely replaced jazz as the dominant form of western music (which wasn't completely disimilar to what jazz had done to classical). At that point artists such as weather report, herbie...
Published on 9 Feb 2012 by Kenneth

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Jazz, 7 Feb 2012
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Portico Quartet (Audio CD)
This is the first time I have really listened to Portico Quartet and I was expecting experimental Jazz. I had to listen to it again to really identify the Jazz parts and then more times to get all the different elements. This ambient music, meeting jazz and infused with trip hop and electronica. Or in other words like so much else but not like anything else. Only one track has lyrics (Steepless which has fragile Bjork type vocals courtesy of Cornelia Dahlgreen who actually wrote that track) and is closer to Brian Eno than traditional Jazz.

Ruins has an eerie feeling with the sounds of saxophones, synth and double bass. Its the closest to out and out Jazz here. The joy of this is that something different appeals on each listen and as a piece it its layered well to reveal slowly. Sometimes it sounds almost discordant in its structure (Rubidium for example) and sometimes to well thought out and considered enough to appeal instantly (Window Seat).

This is far from traditional music and you may well see this nominated again come Mercury time. You may well hear some of it as background music for TV spots as well. As a piece it works and it will be well received and rightly so.

3.0 out of 5 stars new line up - new (ish) sound, 13 Nov 2012
Alan Goodenough (Abingdon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portico Quartet (Audio CD)
On their third album portico quartet have made some changes and not all are good. Programmed beats I'm all for but here they sound tired and uninspired. There are a few highlights on here, but nothing like their previous output.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 6 May 2012
Moose Papoose (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Portico Quartet (Audio CD)
I first heard this on Jamie Callum's jazz radio. I'm not particularly musical, so not really qualified to write a musical review. Just very listenable, and you get something different each time I play this album. It sounds random, but is beautifully organised. Great driving music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving in a new direction and producing their best music yet!, 2 May 2012
Mr. Thomas B. Bridle "tbridle" (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portico Quartet (Audio CD)
I had the priveledge of seeing the Portico quartet twice in Brighton after the release of their first and second albums, I was spellbound and eagerly awaited this their third. I was suprised and enthralled with the new direction they have taken in this album. Being a huge fan of all electronica I found the new electronic synth/jazz crossover sound in this album compelling. A truly wonderful set of tunes that I could never tire of despite listening to it every week again and again.

All in all I have to say I think the Portico quartet have to be the most innovative and original band I have heard in many years and I can't thank them enough for the pleasure they have provided me with their fantastic music. The amazon exclusive 'Sock Puppets' tune is simply breathtaking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superb Muscians ..Tunes --- Very poor VINYL Pressing, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Portico Quartet [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Has to be the worst pressing I've got so far from a new album

Don't bother buying this on vinyl or if you do be prepared to return.

For their supposed advertising blurb on their website about using advanced recording techniques for their range of artists, they should invest in better checks at their pressing plants.

This one has scuffs, dirty, scratches (not deep), fingerprints, lines across the surface and marking all over the lead in grooves..

Very poor !

Compared to the other pressing companies like MOV who are superb and their records are spotless, this looks second hand.

We want to support artists but ramp up the quality please guys.

Portico Quartet
Portico Quartet by Portico Quartet (Audio CD - 2012)