Here I Am
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£1.83+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 14 January 2012
As a fan of Kelly Rowland I've got her two first albums and while I have enjooyed them both I have to say that Here I Am is her best album to date. OK, so some of the songs on the album are few years old, such as When Love Takes Over and Commander but that aside it's still a great album with lots of catchy songs.

With 17 songs on the CD I think it's value for money and there's only four songs on it that I'm not keen on. I think Kelly shoudl probably stick to the more up tempo songs as I think that's where her strengths lie. As for the remix of Motivation, I don't think this adds much to the album.

My favourite songs on the album are:
I'm Dat Chick
Down For Whatever
When Love Takes Over
What A Feeling
Forever and A Day

Kelly is a great singer, it's just a shame she's not as successful as her bandmate Beyonce as she is just as talented. I have Beyonce latest album and I have to say that Kelly's is far better.

I've had this album pretty much on repeat since I bought it and I'm still not bored of it. With her judging role on the X factor I hope Kelly becomes even more successful in the UK
on 27 December 2011
This album has been dogged by delays and some very weird management, which has resulted in it not gaining nearly as much success as it should. It's actually a very strong album, but my only complaint is that the UK edition (this version, with the purple cover), is very much an album of two halves, with the first half being mostly R&B and the second half being mostly dance. This detracts from its cohesiveness and also means that, as the UK singles have mostly been dance ones, they're not necessarily representative of the album.

The R&B half of the album (tracks 1-8) has several quite strong midtempo tracks, particularly "Lay It On Me" and "Feelin' Me Right Now". The flagship US single "Motivation" is a bit of a grower - I didn't like it at first, as it's a bit of a slinky ballad without any of the impact of the dance singles, but it's definitely grown on me.

The dance half of the album (tracks 9-17, with a few exceptions) feels like almost a different artist, and is led by last year's David Guetta-produced hit "Commander". Even this half of the album isn't really non-stop dance, as it's interrupted by the ballad "Heaven N Earth" and the midtempo "Rose Colored Glasses" and the Diplo remix of "Motivation", but as these are all perfectly good tracks in their own right I can hardly complain. My main problem with this half is that most of the big dance tracks on it have already been released as singles ("Down For Whatever", "Commander", "When Love Takes Over", "What A Feeling" and "Forever And A Day"), which means that there's barely any new material that continues in this vein. The result is that, based on the UK singles, it's perfectly possible to pick this up expecting more pop-dance music and end up disappointed.

Overall, I'm very happy with Here I Am and it's going to stay on loop in my CD player for a long time to come, but then again I'm a big fan of both R&B and dance music. If you love one genre and hate the other, you might be better off just listening to half the album.
on 22 April 2012
Up until this album, Kelly Rowland's career had been mainly hit and miss. Her solo efforts ''Simply Deep'' and ''Ms Kelly'' both had a couple of hit singles, but the actual albums themselves never lived up to the expections for a former Destinys Child member. ''Here I Am'' however is undoubtably her strongest, most solid album yet, most of the songs are catchy and single-material, where Kelly really finds her sound and sounds confident in herself as a vocalist.

I'm Dat Chick - The album kicks off with this club/dance track. It's a slight mistep in the start to the album, taking on a Euro Dance style sound but with a mash of electronic sound effects and overlapping vocals thst do sound a little overproduced. It's not the best on the album, and probably not the best choice for first track, but it's just ok.
Work It Man - This is much better, an RnB mid tempo song that's really catchy and could have been a single choice. Kelly's vocals are silky and convincing, and the synth sound of the chorus really blends well.
Motivation - The biggest single from the album, and a US no1. Motivation is the most explicit Kelly's ever gotten on a song, and though some of the lyrics are quite sexy, it's not in the slightly-embarrasing way that Rihanna's latest songs have been. Lil Wayne's featured on the song which isn't really needed, but he's not exactly terrible.
Lay It On Me - Another big hit single, and it's easy to see why. The best song on the album in my opinion, it's a dance/RnB song that hits just the right balance of sexy and playful.
Feeling Me Right Now - carrying on the RnB flavour of the first half of the album, this song is a Destiny's Child style song about female independance and strength. The lyrics are pretty clever and funny, and it's a solid little song.
All of the Night - Another motivation style song showing off Kelly's newfound sexiness, this goes back to the smoother sound of her 2007 album 'Ms Kelly' whilst still sounding modern and fresh. Her vocals here are quiet and restrained which matches the song beautifully.
Keep It Between Us - The first ballad of the album, and a single choice. Not the best but still a nice song.
Commander - A 2010 single that finally makes it's appearance on an album here. Featuring David Guetta it's one of Kelly's biggest dance hits and one of the best on the album. This kicks off a more dance/club style for the majority of the rest of the album.
Down For Whatever - After Commander comes another successful single, featuring the WAVs. A catchy club banger, but a little predictable and samey.
Heaven N Earth - One of the best ballads on the album, again about female empowerment that serves as a nostaligic look back at the DC singles from Kelly's early career.
Each Other - Futuristic euro-dance track, that's not really a standout but more of a filler track.
When Love Takes Over - Possibly the biggest single of Kelly's career yet, again featuring David Guetta. A summer club track that even though it's a few years old now still sounds fresh and exciting, and is definatly a welcome inclusion on the album.
Rose Coloured Glasses - A hit single from 2009, a sweet ballad with a really good delivery from Kelly.
Forever and a Day - Another ballad that was again a single which hit the upper numbers of the RnB charts in 2011.
What A Feeling - A great closer to the album, a dance track with a piano hook that really shows off Kellys new sound and swagger.

So overall her best album yet, even if it does get a little 'samey' at times. I'd definately recommend it to fans of eurodance and rnb, and it shows that Kelly has grown as an artist and is becoming her own star.
on 29 August 2011
It has been a long wait, but Kelly really delivers here. The album is very consistent and it really is difficult to pick out the highlights. I'm now looking forward to the International Edition for even more treats from Kelly. The fast stuff is really very good and they are promising more of it, but the two main slowies on this album, All Of The Night and Keep It Between Us, do hint at another side to Kelly worth exploring and are also very addictive. This version is worth it for the amazingness of Each Other alone, which makes up for Heaven and Earth, which is somewhat of a letdown, I have to say, as it lacks edge. Please support Kelly, as her talent is often overlooked and she deserves much more success!

Update 09.12.2011
Although I still stand by my original review and think that the full international edition, based on the music alone, is still well worth the 5 stars I gave back then, I really must vent my disappointment at what has turned out to be the final version. It is an insult, not only to us as customers, but also to Kelly herself, that they have simply attached a few hits (or not) from the past few YEARS to fill out the album and then call it a new release. Excellent as these songs are, it is just lazy and nothing other than a grabby move by her managers. I doubt she is that happy about it herself - she must feel as if her record company has no belief in her at all. Admittedly, a new customer gets a really good, long album when they buy the new version, but most people will have bought the earlier verson and will not necessarily bother with this. As a completist and hardcore Kelly fan myself, even I am not jumping on this. Even in 2 years when this cost 1p from some merchant, I'd probably still begrudge the postage, and that is saying something.

The sad thing is that the way that this album has been released might seriously damage, or has already damaged, Kelly's marketability and credibility as an artist, as the old version has been available for months, not even at a scary import price. So everyone has gradually been buying their copy, first the hardcore fans, then the newcomers based on the news of her X factor role, then those who have enjoyed her as an X factor judge. Then comes along the revised copy and is so disappointing that nobody wants to purchase it in addition. Months of sales are staggered, meaning that this album has no means of impacting on the charts and then selling on the strength of that success. It will just ebb away into oblivion. There has even been talk for months of a new album due in early spring, making this release even more of a throwaway move.

WARNING - Compulsory Beyoncé Reference: Kelly really deserves better than this. How is she ever to shrug off the Beyoncé comparisons when her camp is obviously letting her down. I must admit that Down for Whatever's chart placing surprised me (excellent song for an album, but not expressly designed for the charts on its own) and does show that the hype surrounding Kelly could have been used a lot better to make this album sell well, but they seem to have ruined the chances of that from the outset. Now everyone just thinks they are right when they say that Beyoncé can still sell, whereas her DC sister cannot. I feel it is also more of an embarassment for Kelly, as it makes it look as if she is too worthless to even profit from her X factor role like that lucky Cheryl Cole, who managed to churn out many a "hit" on the back of X Factor.

I really hope for the future that they can give Kelly the chance she deserves. She has the talent and this album proves she can have the material, but the marketing strategy is just plain silly.

I yearn to be proved wrong by this album rocking the charts in the coming weeks, as it really deserves to do, but something tells me that won't happen.
on 9 June 2013
I have been put off from purchasing the Kelly Rowland CD Here I am for an while, waiting for the price to go down, but I was not disappointed. Through looking at each of the songs, I was astounded that Kelly Rowland does not get as much gratitude as Beyonce does. All of the songs from this album were fantastic, of course my favorites were: I'm Dat Chick, Motivation, Feeling Me Right Now, Commander, Down For Whatever, Rose Coloured Glasses, When Love Takes Over and Forever and A Day. Fantastic Album, can't wait to purchase your next album when it is released!
on 26 December 2011
I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Kelly's until she became a judge on the X Factor.

The cd is very playable & likeable. I'm not so fond of the slow tracks. I do like Rose Coloured Glasses, as well as stalwart tracks Commander & when Love Takes Over. My personal overall standout track is Down For Whatever.
on 25 May 2012
Bought this album as it contains some really nice tracks and a lot of tracks for that matter. Unfortunately it's not excellent and so shows why Beyonce is still people's favourite. Not bad for her first album though I would say you should buy it when it gets cheaper.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2011
Been waiting for this album for ages and finally got my hands on it! Gotta say its puts Beyonces MoR stuff to shame. The lead single Motivation is my fave track of 2011 so far, and there are many other decent tracks here. There are only ten tracks on this album, so its over pretty quick.
Standout tracks:
Motivation - radio friendly track feat lil wayne ... great beat and quite a sexy tune
Lay It On Me - summery track feat big Sean
Feeling Me Right Now - really catchy and kellys vocals are great on this track. Yes at times it does sound a little computerised but thats the same for many recent releases. The only criticism is that Kelly could have included some more tracks on this as ten tracks is a little disappointing (and one of the ten is Commander which has ben around for ages)
on 16 January 2013
I chose this item as i know it is one of the best recent up to date Albums for young people. As soon as i saw the price i thought i best buy it.
Also the seller got this to me very quickly as well.
on 23 July 2013
I was very disappointed with this album! I only like one song out f the whole album, even still I wished I hadn't bought it, since I love Kelly ROwland and I still do but the album? nah!!!!!