5.0 out of 5 stars I honestly said "Wow"
Published on 26 Jun 2012 by Paul Villa

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound cut out feature
Published on 16 July 2012 by Ms. K. F. Deery

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound cut out feature, 16 July 2012
Ms. K. F. Deery (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JBL Jembe 2.0 Computer Speaker System - Black (Personal Computers)
I got these speakers a while back and while the sound is fine, I HATE the auto cut off system which, on mine at least, seems to choose to cut off when it likes. If a film is a little quiet, the sound cuts off, if I use pause on either a film or music, it takes a little while to come back when there is sound coming through again, and now it seems to cut be cutting out at odd time for no reason. I am fed up with this and will get a new set that doesn't auto cut out when it thinks it should. I much prefer to turn the sound off when I want it off.
Anubisheart

5.0 out of 5 stars I honestly said "Wow", 26 Jun 2012
Paul Villa "technophile" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
As a technophile of many years standing, I am fairly hard to impress. When I first listened to these speakers I really did say "Wow'. Their size belies their ability. They perform beautifully and look beautiful. These small, neat units give a well controlled, crisp sound with good treble and plenty of bass. If you heard them without seeing them you would imagine something much bigger or maybe small speakers and a sub-woofer. Very impressive. There is only one minus point - I'd give them four and a half stars if I could. They come fitted with a shaver-plug style power 'block'. Now don't get me wrong, it's well made and looks a quality item but I can't think of too many people with a shaver socket behind their computers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 2 April 2013
R. Tillotson - See all my reviews
I got these off amazon warehouse at a real bargain price (just over £11). I was super happy until the speakers started repeatedly cutting out within a few minutes of plugging them in. Other revievers have mentioned this. Then I wondered if turning up the input volume would help, so I whacked up the laptop volume to the max and used the speakers' own volume control to adjust volume. Result - no more cutting out! Now they do exactly what I need them to do, provide nice sounds in my office while I work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic dynamic range. Crisp, clear sound., 21 Feb 2012
Ivor "Ivor" (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these for a person with hearing difficulties to go with a laptop. Laptop speakers produce a limited range of frequencies and many people with hearing problems have difficulties discerning high frequency sounds in speech (t, ch, d, s th,f sounds.) These speakers reproduce sounds up to 20 kHz, which is the top of normal hearing range and down to 80 Hz, which isn't quite as low as the normal ear can hear, but lower than frequencies used in speech.

There were no reviews of these speakers so I took a bit of a gamble. They are a compact size and one of my needs was for them to fit them within a large laptop bag, which they do.

They are robustly built and simple to set up. They are also aesthetically pleasing and a great design. I particularly like the design of volume control knob, which it the entire top of one of the speakers. This means that there is not a button protruding to be broken off in transit. The knob offers a steady resistance as you turn it and feels well made, but it is not too hard to turn. This would be a great feature for someone who has co-ordination problems.

The cables are better quality but standard laptop speaker and power cables (yes, a power supply needs to be plugged into the wall), which are never appear that robust. To put this comment into context, all manufacturers should consider spending a little more on making portable speaker cables more up to the job of being plugged in and unplugged and carried about. I am not saying that the cables will fail quickly, they will no doubt fare well compared to others, but they are probably the least strong part of the speaker system. What ever speakers you buy, look after the cables.

The plugs on the ends of the cables are good quality, better than I have seen on other, more expensive equipment. They take a reassuringly firm and steady push for them to slide into the sockets.

Now to the sound - wow! I dreaded these small speaker sounding tinny, but that is in no way an issue; they sound fantastic.

I tested various CDs though my laptop of varying recording quality. I started by listening to an audio book CD. The reader's deep voice comes through with plenty of clear bass and the high sounds were clearly audible. I then played a wide range of music through them and again the sounds were crisp and clear and the bass notes did not distort or vibrate the speaker cones. There was only a tiny distortion turning the volume up very high, which in real use will not happen.

These are really great speakers to listen to and the sound reproduction is better than a mini-system I own, which came as a surprise. My hearing isn't great and I could have the volume lower than I need to with my mini system to hear clearly.

I do get louder base reproduction with a set of speakers that has a sub-woofer, but do you want to carry one of those around or have the space for them? These won't be used for listening to R&B, so having a booming bass that shakes the whole house isn't necessary - the recipient of these speakers has a hi-fi for that.

JBL Jembe 2.0 Computer Speaker System - Black

So, 5 stars for a product that is designed and built well, that has fantastic sound reproduction, is compact and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, 14 April 2014
S. Wenman - See all my reviews
Good looking speakers (bought the white ones) and excellent sound. The bass is very good - very pleased with them

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value good sound, 27 Mar 2014
Bought these after reading magazine reviews
Good price
Fantastic sound with surprisingly deep and rich base
Also available in Bluetooth

1.0 out of 5 stars no quality control. quite shameful, 15 Feb 2014
The product description is deceptive. These are tiny speakers, OK dimensions are provided, but the description praises the sound quality for its size. Well, one speaker didn't work at all and the other produced no better quality than the very basic and 12 year old speakers I wanted to replace. Quite shameful to have no quality control whatsoever. This set should never have left the factory!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 8 Jan 2014
We are more than happy with these JBL. Highest quality for the size. Use them on your computer, but we hear films and series, as well as music. My wife is a musician and says that there are not our B&W of the living room, but they have a great sound for the size. They are a good choose to this price. Half price, refurbished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb depth and quality of sound, 24 Sep 2013
JSMR (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I reviewed these speakers earlier (now deleted) - just after I'd bought them - and made a stupid and incorrect statement - that there was no headphone port; well, so much for my powers of observation! The other day I bought another pair - the latest wireless, Bluetooth ones. However, before unpacking them I disconnected the existing JBL JEMBEs and there, on the right hand side of the principal speaker I saw the two ports, one for headphones, the other for an additional speaker! I couldn't believe or understand how I'd missed those ports. What an idiot! So now I have two pairs of JBL JEMBEs. My stupidity and lack of observation cost me an additional £55! Tough luck - let it be warning to those growing older - look hard at what you buy and examine it carefully all over - before leaping into critical review! I grovel with shame and embarrassment at my earlier review and withdraw unreservedly my critical comments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Customer, 16 Aug 2013
I found the speakers to be of good quality and gave excellent sound quality. Would recommend these to my friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›