5.0 out of 5 stars Another absolute winner from Ms Feehan.
This is the third carpathian novel by Christine Feehan, and amidst great expectations she manages to deliver results again! Another great novel, strong story line, and another scrummy Carpathian! What more can I say?
Alexandria and her little brother Joshua are saved from unspeakable evil by Aidan Savage.
Aidan has to earn Alexandria's love and trust. He...
Published on 25 May 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not good enough
Published on 13 Jan 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another absolute winner from Ms Feehan., 25 May 2000
By A Customer
Aidan has to earn Alexandria's love and trust. He displays a tremendous amount of patience and acknowledges that he cannot force Alex into his way of life, but that she has to come to terms with it and embrace it on her own accord.
Alexandria has to come to terms with what she has been exposed to, what Aidan is, what it all means to her and Joshua. Her whole belief system has been rocked, and she needs to find herself, trust Aiden, and embrace her new way of life.
The setting is modern day San Franscicso, a far cry from the Carpathian mountains of Dark Prince and Dark Desire, however everything else is the same. Very well written, strong characters and a writting style that is both dark and compelling, close your eyes, and you could be in San Franscico!
Buy it you will not regret it
Also recommended Dark Prince and Dark Desire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep them coming, 25 July 2004
This was my second novel of the Dark series, but it was a pleasure for me that the characters from this book were different from the first. Only one thing remains common, the female characters are very independent and have very strong opinions and they drive the male characters crazy because of that, and of course the male characters, how should I put it, have a mentality of a man of the 15th century. But they have to grow up and mature and realize that women have achieved their liberation from men. It's hard for them but they come to terms with that.
This book introduces us to Aidan, one of the golden twins.... One of the ancients and very powerful Carpatians... This character unlike the other of his race is linked to his human "family", but for that you must read the book.
Alexandria is also a novelty regarding the other female character, she's also not alone in her life.
The love that they have for one another is taken through many ordeals until they can finally be with each other.
This book maintains the same feelings of the last but introduces the friendship that the male character has towards other characters besides his lifemate or Carpatians.
If you want loose yourself in another world, this is one the most beautifull to be lost in.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not good enough, 13 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This book promises much but doesn't quite do it. I found myself wanting to reach into the pages and slap the herione Alex for the first 2 thirds of the book, she comes across as weak, self-pitying and well.. downright annoying and childish, and as for Aidan against the weaker Alex he comes off looking like an insensitive bully and not very likeable becuase of that. However the final third does make up in part for that, Alex finally gets around to showing some "girlpower" and standing up for herself, Aidan finally starts showing that caring sensitive side we know all carpathian males have and the plot hots up sufficiently to get you hooked. However for me one question I had was never awnsered What about joshua?? what happens when he realises that allthough his sister is now immortal he is not...I hope Christine addresses this in a later book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold for Dark Gold, 24 Nov 2009
L. Sears "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The third book in the Carpathian series and as enjoyable as the previous two. I have just finsihed reading it for the second time as I go through my entire collection in sequence this time.

I found Aidan a little overbearing and annoying at times just as I felt Alexandria could be a bit of a spoilt brat. But my dislike of the characters is not a comment on the book. Christine Feehan must be admired for her ability to create unique characters time and time again. And not mollycoddling them with nothing but attractive qualities.

Dark Gold focus's more on the relationship between the two characters than it does on the threat of the undead or the 'Society'. Alexandria has literally been plunged into the carpathian world through no choice because she had been bitten by the vampire and Aidan only had one way to save her. Once again there is cameo from Gregori, my very favorite Carpathian.

It's unique among the Carpathian novels as there is so much reliance on humans, Aidan's family (house keep and driver), Alexandira's younger brother Joshua and a couple of what I imagine to be mafia hitmen, the humans are the Aidan's weakness exposing his vulnerability to care for those closest to him during the daylight hours. But they have as much love and respect for him that equally they would give thier lives for him. I really enjoyed this book, but so far in the series as written Jacques is my favorite. And because this is not my first time reading them I am looking forward with baited breath to reading Dark Magic and spending some qulity time with Gregori!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done the story just keep going., 28 Dec 2000
J COFFMAN "Jackie" (Solihull, West Midlands, England.) - See all my reviews
I agree with the reviewer from London. Everything it says is spot on. The only down side to it there was no Michail, Raven, Jacques & Shae in it. Gregori, the dark one doesn't make an apearence until near the end. I do hope we see more of them in the next book, Dark Magic. This is Gregori & Savannah's story. Well done and keep this series coming. I don't want it to end after 5 books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so great, 14 July 2011
This is the first book of the series I am reading and frankly i was not impressed. Aidan Savage comes accross as an insensitive jerk and the main character is not given any opportunity to stand up to him. After being with him less than 24 hours Savage can basically make her do anything he wants almost and she does not seem that upset to me. I just could not find a reason to keep reading and stopped halfway. If you want to read something really good dealing with fantasy and romance as well as a good part of suspense and action, i recommend the "Lord of the fadind Lands" series. Give Dark Gold a miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost golden, 1 Feb 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Since their parents died Alexandria Houton's life has revolved around her six-year-old brother Joshua. When they are kidnapped by an evil Alex could never have imagined, and then rescued Alex's life changes forever. Aidan Savage is the Carpathian who rescued Alex and her brother. He left the Carpathian mountains to hunt vampires in San Francisco, but when he realises that Alex is his lifemate he also realises that by entering her life he has turned her into a target for all the vampires in the area.

This is the third in Christine Feehan's Carpathian series (which started with Dark Prince and continued with Dark Desire). I'm gradually working my way through the series and have mixed opinions so far so I wasn't sure what to expect. I did like the change of setting from the Carpathian mountains to San Francisco as it made the book feel a little more normal.

The story picks up quickly at the start of the novel and the first two chapters are action packed. After that the book becomes more about Alex and Aidan's relationship, which is what I expected the main plotline to be about as this is a paranormal romance after all. The idea of a collection of bad guys means that there is a fair amount of variety to the storyline, and I have to admit I loved how Thomas Ivan was tied in as potential competition for Aidan. I've heard the Carpathian men referred to as overbearing, which I agree with, but Aidan manages to give Alex some independence which is refreshing. There are few things worse in romance novels than having a dislikable overbearing jerk as the "hero".

I really liked the character of Aidan, and I loved how his struggle with his inner demon was portrayed. I did find Alex to be a whiny at times, although she did eventually get over herself, and I liked how her struggle for independence was portrayed. I loved the supporting characters as well, in particular Alex's brother Joshua and Aidan's staff Marie and Stefan.

Gregori shows up in this book, and it isn't surprising to realise that book four (Dark Magic) is his book. There was a fair amount of effort to setting up his book in this one, and also Alex realises and reveals a couple of things about Gregori that hadn't been mentioned before. This did leave me more interested in reading his book, but also made the abruptness of the ending of this book more obvious. The last few chapters are action packed with a lot going on and this meant the ending felt abrupt, although I can't think of a better way to have ended the book.

All in all, this was a good read and I'm looking forward to Dark Magic.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 41/50

3.0 out of 5 stars What were you thinking........?, 18 July 2010
This is the third in the Carpathian series, although I had read the Dark Prince, Dark Desire, Dark Magic and Dark Guardian before this, I was really looking forward to this one.
Although the story is good, Alexandria Houton and brother live in San Francisco, they are saved by the hero Aidan, twin of Julian and of course Aidan discovers Alexandria to be his lifemate.
I have never been so frustrated or disliked a 'heroine' so much in my life. She was a pain from beginning to end, when she suddenly discovered (after nearly 300 pages of hating him) that she loved him, would accept the difficult life (come on! lots of money a sex god as a mate and never having to worry about ANYTHING) he had exposed her to without given her any choice. Excuse me, but the vampire exposed her to the dreadful life she now had to endure first and this is completely forgotten about all the way through this very irritating and frustrating book.
What were you thinking Christine Feehan, you certainly didn't have your mind on the right path with this one, very disappointing simply because of Alexandria.
The story, is as the others a good vampire read, shame I had to suffer Alex!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 20 Sep 2014
So far this is quite likely my favourite book in this series. Despite all the dangers and horrors, the main characters and some supporting ones were full of love and compassion, which I really liked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Gold, 2 Aug 2009
D. Malcolm "Vamp Lit Chick" (South of England) - See all my reviews
I am reading the Dark series in order, and this is Number 3. I thought it was a really good read, held my attention well, and an improvement over the second book, which I found a bit slow. I can see why some people think this series is formulaic, but they are good fun, especially if diluted with other books in between.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›