5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Can Sing !
Better late than never. This Old Wolf that is! Jessica Cornish
seems to have arrived at exactly the right time. I heard the
singles; I saw the music videos; I liked what I'd heard and seen.
What I hadn't been quite prepared for with the debut album is
just what an extraordinarily good singer Ms J. is. World Class
at 23 and then some! I didn't need...
Published on 5 April 2011 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars good solid pop
Published on 8 Jan. 2013 by Anoosh Falak Rafat

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 19 Dec. 2014
Jessie's best album, this is packed full of hit singles!

1. Price Tag (featuring B.o.B) 10/10
One of my favourite songs of all time, super catchy and addictive.

2. Nobody's Perfect 10/10
Powerful and raw, a stunning track

3. Abracadabra 10/10
So fun and careless, love it

4. Big White Room (Live) 10/10
The first single Jessie ever wrote (on her own too)! It still sounds amazing especially for a live recording

5. Casualty Of Love 10/10
You just have to love this R&B jam, it throws it back to the likes of classic singles by Destiny's Child, Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys

6. Rainbow 10/10
This has a great message and is totally care free. You can feel the energy Jess had when recording by listening to this!

7. Who's Laughing Now 10/10
A great way to get back at the school bullies, brilliant song

8. Do It Like A Dude 10/10
Jessie's début single, it's timeless and edgy. Instant hit

9. Mamma Knows Best 10/10
This features Jessie's powerful vocals in a slight jazz style reminiscent of Christina Aguilera's album Back To Basics

10. L.O.V.E 9/10
A great message and another great song

11. Stand Up 10/10
Similar to Rainbow, a fun message to a brilliant melody

12. I Need This 9/10
Jessie originally wrote this and sent it to Chris Brown who has a version on his album too. Personally I think Jessie's version is much better!

13. Who You Are 10/10
The most personal and beautiful song on the entire record, you can feel the raw emotion on this track like in Demi Lovato's hit Skyscraper

14. Domino 10/10
The most listened to song of 2012 despite being released in 2011, massive hit

15. My Shadow 10/10
Again another personal song, brilliant

16. Laserlight (featuring David Guetta) 10/10
A dance track dedicated to the thousands of adoring fans. It's energetic and one for a party

This is Jessie's best album and a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Can Sing !, 5 April 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Better late than never. This Old Wolf that is! Jessica Cornish
seems to have arrived at exactly the right time. I heard the
singles; I saw the music videos; I liked what I'd heard and seen.
What I hadn't been quite prepared for with the debut album is
just what an extraordinarily good singer Ms J. is. World Class
at 23 and then some! I didn't need to listen much futher than the
live recording of 'Big White Room'. The room errupts with amazement
and palpable affection. I shouted too (much to Mrs Wolf's surprise!)
It is a phenomenal performance by any standard known to man or beast!

The magic doesn't stop there however. Ms J. knows how to write a good
tune and there are thirteen of them here. This girl has SOUL. Natural,
abundant and free as the wind. The voice is wonderfully flexible and
unaffected. 'Casualty Of Love' is another terrific example of her
ability to find the heart of a song and run with it; the glorious
arabesques and decorations spin out into the air like silver fireworks.
It's very clear that she doesn't have to think about it that much :
it just comes out that way! (To think that this is just the beginning!)

I tend to gravitate towards the ballads and torch songs in any R&B
collection but there's one heck of a lot of funky fun to be had here too.

Of the uptempo numbers 'Who's Laughing Now' is a particularly feisty
example. It's pretty near impossible not to get out of your rocking
chair, kick off your slippers and dance! Ms J. demonstrates her razor
sharp larynx and wit to fine effect. So too with 'Do It Like A Dude'.

The stupendous retro burlesque shenanigans of 'Mamma Know's Best'
gives Ms Aguilera a run for her money. It's a blistering highlight!

For my money the truly beautiful 'I Need This' is the outright winner.
To say that the vocal performance made my hair stand on end would be
an understatement. Ms J sings it like she means it and I believed it too.

(Having said that the simply constructed but deeply affecting
final track 'Who Are You' came a very close second!)

The girl can sing. The album is a joy. What more could you want really!

Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album **Needs a warning about the language though!!**, 24 April 2011
This review is from: Who You Are (Audio CD)
My daughter asked for this album and I was wary as I expected it to have some bad language in, I checked online and found no warning so ordered it. As I wasn't convinced I listened to the album myself once it arrived to find too much bad language to consider allowing my 9 year old to have the album, that aside it is a great listen, just not while the kiddies are around :o)

3.0 out of 5 stars good solid pop, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Who You Are (Audio CD)
`Price Tag' is an absolutely brilliant song which is probably worth about two and a half times whatever you pay for this album, so it doesn't really matter what the rest of the album is like, as a plus point though the rest of the album is quite pleasant so you won't be left with twelve duff tracks (although this type of music is probably one where people buy singles rather than whole albums, so it probably wouldn't matter either way).

The music is bass heavy, minimalist pop, produced to death so it ends up being almost irritatingly shiny; in a chemical cillet bang kind of way, which in truth is designed to stay out of the way while the vocalist does her thing, luckily her `thing' is quite good and keeps you listening, sure occasionally your attention wonders but when you snap back you are greeted with a nice voice `Big White Room' is a particularly good highlight especially with its interesting touches to the vocals.

Jessie J is pop with a message (mostly) check out `Rainbow' for proof.

Track List:
L.O.V.E
Stand Up
I Need This
Who You Are

3.0 out of 5 stars Opportunities missed, mistakes made, profiteering ahoy, 7 Feb. 2012
Gareth Waterman "GW" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I rather like Jessie J. I rather like her music too. I would also be first in line to defend music made for adults, artists being able to express themselves how they wish, and record labels running a business profitably.

However (and it's a big however), it's utterly inexcusable that a CD should be on sale that contains graphic language and sexual content without having the industry-standard warning. Especially one that the record company knows full well will appeal to a younger audience. This smacks of a deliberate ploy since there is a Parental Guidance label which is almost illegibly small and printed in a corner on the back.

To add insult to injury, they have seen fit to re-issue the original album with a few extra tracks. Since the album was already popular (and thus didn't need to be brought to our attention à la Fleet Foxes first CD being re-issued with a later EP), this is just profiteering. It rewards only those people who haven't yet bought the album and penalises all those who have already made the record company (and Jessie J) a bunch of cash. Of course the extra tracks can be downloaded individually, but this is more expensive (remember, young audience) than getting them with an album.

Pretty much an indictment of the industry all round, and one which harms both Jessie J and her fans but not, I suspect, her label.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jessie J, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Who You Are (Audio CD)
My Daughter kept on and on for a Jessie J CD for her 8th birthday wasnt any hassle to get hold of one for her so I bought it for her but dont know if I missed anything in the write up but had no warning that there was any swear words on the CD. There were quite a few really strong one that I dont want her singing along to shame because quite enjoyed listening to the rest of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Here we go again!!, 2 April 2012
Superfan (South Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Original CD purchased. Nothing extra to review as album content well established and 'bonus tracks' primarily singles issued since original release. However, I 100% agree with the comments of another review regarding the blatant profitering of some record companies, aimed directly at the younger generation. I would like to think the artists are unhappy or not aware of this..... Perhaps they could make it a condition of their contract not to re-issue between albums? With regards to the lady in question the words to her song 'Price Tag' seem, somewhat, contradictory....'it's not about the money, money, money..we don't need your money, money, money...forget about the price tag!!!' Pixie Lott is another example(first album as second was with the option of 'deluxe edition'. Katy Perry has also joined the club with 'Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection'...there will be many others. As the previous reviewer suggests you could down load the 'extra tracks' but that is likely to be more expensive, although if you pick your moment and shop around, you may save a few pounds (Amazon CD of the Week for example). Providing you or the long suffering Mums and Dads have the will power to simply NOT BUY the initial release, then give it 6 months (or less) and the re-issue will be put out and then get that instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessie I love You, 26 Mar. 2013
I first saw jessie J in plaster on TV at the Glastonbury Festival, what a generous spirit she has letting that little girl sing her song whilst sitting on Jessie's Lap the next time I saw her was singing "Price Tag" on the Jools Holland and Freinds TV program
then again doing the same on New years eve with jools Holland's hootenanny what a sharp dress she wore that night she's one of those ladys who certainly has good dress sense, I love "Domino" and get "Lazer Light" but struggle a bit with "Do It Like A Dude"

I am still trucking my way through the rest of the tracks still not convinced that any of these songs match the highlights of this Album
With "PriceTag" and "Domino" I have been somewhat spoilt so I had high expectations when I ought this album,but my jury is still out,suffice to say I would still recommend it, I might just be getting old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album EVER., 27 July 2012
I am a huge fan of Jessie J, and I have both the original album, and the platinum album. It is definitely worth the extra money to get the platinum album as the three extra songs are too good for words. Every song on this album has a meaning, and an amazing tune. You cannot go wrong with it. Jessie J is a girl with extreme talent - not only is she an outstanding singer, but she writes or co-writes all of her songs! She is really inspirational and her music is candy to the ears. Including No.1 hits, Price Tag and Domino, and Jessie J's other fantastic singles - Do It Like A Dude, Nobody's Perfect, Who's Laughing Now, Who You are and Laserlight. The other songs on this album are also fantastic, and 'My Shadow' is a personal favourite of mine. The songs on this album convey a variety of different moods and illustrate Jessie J's life story. From feel-good party songs to deep, meaningful lyrics, this album has it all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobodys Perfect yet this Album is!, 15 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Who You Are (MP3 Download)
I love Jessie J and find her voice and style very amazing and very different from what other UK singers sound like, She has her own hip hop style and a very very strong beautiful voice which is amazing live! Her songs are amazing I recommend "Do it like a Dude" "Price Tag" "Nobodys Perfect" "Mamma Knows Best" "Who You Are" and "Who's laughing now" her other songs are good but these are the ones which I could listen to over and over again.

What I am not to keen on is her love songs, I think love songs aren't selling anymore is cause everyone is sick of them and I got to see I didn't like the sound of the 3 songs on there which our love songs L.O.V.E, Stand Up, Casualty of Love but all the other songs are amazing.

I recommend anyone to get this album it has a mix of amazing beats and genres and I can not wait to see her live!