5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best Access Learning Guide Out There
Having been an Excel operator and modular systems designer since literally the year dot (dot being the little blip on the horizon where Multiplan gave way to the more widely recognised windows spreadheet).

Published 17 months ago by Mr. D. J. Cable

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so convenient
Published 9 months ago by Julia Whyte

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best Access Learning Guide Out There, 28 July 2013
Mr. D. J. Cable (Bath, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Whereas excel is a blank canvas just waiting to be sprayed on in an extreme range of tonal complexity I realised that Access requires a little more thought before diving in to system technicalities. This is the reason I invested in this guide in the first place to get the so called 'database' mindset, but also to gain knowledge of the technical stuff to follow through from the start to end of a project. This guide offers a great introduction to the system yet in it's book within book format it is possible to jump to sections that would be of particular interest at a given moment. A good example of this is as follows:

I've recently taken on a project at work converting some old excel (and rather technical spreadsheets) to Access. Having made a note of all the cells and their functions, after a quick 'brainstorming' session with the guide, I found that I could achieve an exact replica of the spreadsheet on Access. I'm still yet to load Access and use it but at least I know it can do the job effectively - this is particularly handy because at least now I can report back these findings to hopefully move to the next (and first) stage of database development.

This book is an extremely handy guide for the novice but I can also see it being an excellent reference for the more experienced user. I did invest in the Access VBA programming dummies guide at the same time as well as I know that will also enter the mix at some stage.

This book will definitely be my partner through this and many other Access projects in future and it comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars a very good book at a fair price, 1 Mar 2013
My opinion is that it is a very good book at a fair price. The book is designed as a comprehensive guide for those who have an average programming experience or a fundamental knowledge of Access(either 2010 or previous versions) and want to learn about the more advanced features of the software.
I enjoyed the "books" refering to VBA. I consider that they are a good starting point for anyone who wants to learn the language in the context of Access2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so convenient, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Access 2010 All-in-One For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I bought this for kindle, thinking it would be easier to consult while putting into practice what I was learning. I have had plenty of 'Dummies' books before and the printed copies are great however, what lets the kindle version down is that the illustrations are far too small. Using the zoom facility makes the image larger but less legible. Should've bought a printed copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great help, 21 July 2013
This book was exactly what was needed. Clear instructions, very helpful. Was very frustrated at not being able to find things - all sorted now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 8 Oct 2011
This is a great book. I have gone from a novice to advanced user by reading this book, learning and integrating its knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Jan 2014
Just the book I was looking for - it has been a great help in learnong Access 10, and easier than using computer all the time as I just have to turn the pages over for the information - Good book - easy to use and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Book, 26 Sep 2013
This book has so much information it can be quite daunting when you start and at times very hard going but keep going and Access and all its functions will become easier and easier

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it as a reference manual, 4 Sep 2013
I bought this, like other Dummies Books, as a reference manual rather than as a teach yourself or course and that's how I use it. So far I've found it seems to be as good as other similar Dummies books and I'm pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and understand, 14 May 2013
Easy to use and understand for the novice and the more advanced user. It will help build db from the simplest to the more complex.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Access 2010 All-in-One For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
At this stage I've only read a part of the book but the content has already proved very helpful. The organisation into mini books and chapters with extensive contents lists makes it easy to find helpful information. I suspect that this will prove a useful reference for a long time to come.

Access 2010 All-in-One For Dummies