1,909 Reviews
 (1,592)

Many people, myself included, were disappointed by GTAIV on its release. There was still the initial thrill of exploring a beautifully crafted city, but that soon wore off. If I had to choose one word to describe GTAIV, it would be dull. Generally dull characters inhabited a dull world, which was scattered with dull sidequests and predominantly dull missions.

I...
Published 19 months ago by Lens of Truth

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many Hacks
I've waited a good few months to write this review as I wanted to be sure I wasn't sucked up into the hype that came with this game. (I was one of those guys queuing up at midnight in my local Tesco's to pick this up)

Published 15 months ago by Private

5.0 out of 5 stars If Rockstar ever lost the open-world genre crown, they're holding on to it with both hands now. GTAV is a masterpiece., 20 Sept. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)

I admit that I bought GTAV in no small part because of the hype. It was difficult not to get caught up in it, and I had very high hopes for a new Rockstar world. Many games struggle under the weight of such unrelenting hype, but I'm pleased to report that in my opinion GTAV is one of a very rare breed of games that actually lives up to the expectations that have been set by the gaming world.

Simply put, the world of Los Santos is stunning to explore; it is brimming with life and colour and it feels a privilege to inhabit it. In terms of scale, it took me over 10 minutes just to traverse from one end of the map to the other (land only), and that was using a very welcome fast-moving motorway that runs all around the outside of the island, weaving between traffic on a very nice superbike. The detail of the game world is also fantastic, with every corner of the map populated by little details, such as a colourful little hot dog stand nestled behind a farmyard barn right on the outskirts of civilisation. Taking all this into account, it would be ludicrous to criticise the graphics as not being as polished as very linear, closed-world games, but when the orange sun is setting behind you as you trek up a mountain side and look out at the sea crashing against the rocks, I challenge anybody to quibble about the graphics then!

In general, GTAV is a refinement of previous entries in the series and Rockstar's other open-world series, such as Red Dead. The character and car mechanics, the missions and the game world are all cases in point of this. Your character (there are now three main protagonists) handle well and the shooting mechanics have improved over previous series entries, but in my opinion it still doesn't feel as polished as some dedicated third-person shooter games, such as the underrated Binary Domain. The cars have real weight to them and are a pleasure to drive, and the sheer number of them is staggering. Unusually for open-world games (where exploration and carnage is king for me), I'm really enjoying working my way through the missions. There is so much more variety than the majority of GTAIV missions, and some in-mission twists that genuinely take me by surprise. You now get rated on each mission based on whether or not you met a set of criteria, some more difficult and outlandish than others, which has got me re-playing some missions just to get the higher rating. It's a simple but clever idea that brings added replayability, as they're available to retry as soon as you've completed them. If you don't fancy missions right away, however, why not just cruise around the city area, which is now less than 1/4 of the map size (don't worry - there's plenty to do in the rest though), and look for random events that you can participate in. Do you join two gangsters in holding up a woman outside a supermarket, or help her out? Or do you risk incurring the wrath of the police by trying to rob a security van? Do you return a civilian's bag to them after you've chased down their mugger, or keep the money for yourself? The choices are yours to make.

I could go on forever about the brilliant attention-to-detail that GTAV boasts, and the moments that never fail to make me grin like a kid who's just won a Mario Kart race. Instead, please feel free to ask any burning questions in the comments section and I'll answer if I can and I'm not too busy playing the game!

I'll leave you with two little silly morsels of information if you're still on the fence. Some cars now have three headlight settings: off, normal and raised. Brilliant eh? And when you've completed a taxi fare, keep an eye on the punter to make sure he pays you!

I cannot recommend this game highly enough if you're even remotely interested in the open-world genre, because in my opinion this game is at the pinnacle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Game I've Played In a While, But Online Quickly Becomes A Grind Fest., 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Best game i've played in ages. I loved GTA4 and I didn't want to wait until January to get the PC version, so I popped into GAME and got myself a pre-owned PS3, came on amazon and ordered a HDD and this game. I've had the game since late tuesday and already have 17 hours played in Online alone.

I gave it a 4 star rating because the multiplayer quickly becomes a grind fest, which indirectly encourages you to purchase their currency cards, which range from £2 for $100,000 to £65 for $8,000,000. That being said, so far the missions have been pretty fun and challenging to play solo, so the grind feels a little less grindey.

Can't wait to play it on PC so I can play with friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars grand theft auto five, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
My son enjoys this game very much. He and his friends play it a lot. It is a bit blood thirsty and there is bad language but the lads are all over 18 and hear just as much when out and about! But all in all it is the crashes and the different vehicles they can jump in and drive that they enjoy so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Wrong But So Right, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Not the most ethical game out there but its a whole heap of fun. Got it for £20 as well. The targeting system is way better than GTA 4 were it would aim at someone 100m away whilst ignoring the guy shooting at you from 2m away!! . All in all what i've seen of los santos so far is very impressive & looking foward to hours of fun doing things i won't do i real life. I bought this over Battle Field not being a hard core gamer i get hammered online not much fun. So i think there will be hours of fun with GTA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Lots of stuff to do I the game so you can play it for a long time without getting bored! 👍

5.0 out of 5 stars After five years on the east coast, it was time to go home., 18 Sept. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
First impressions. Straight from the install screen you can tell this game is going to be a masterpiece. Maybe it's was the music or the fact that it had a countdown in MB, of which there are 8486, at 9MB a second, that's a long wait...but well worth it.

Then suddenly you're thrust into the action...not saying how though, no spoilers...but it's far superior to getting off a boat or plane. Here you get your first taste of the new gunplay, which was overwhelmingly great after playing GTAIV recently. Later on, after the title sequence, you get your first real go at driving...it's incredible, much improved over GTAIV (and I loved the driving in that). More on those later.

This time around we have three characters to play with...and you can switch between them mid-mission. This adds another level to how the player can complete a mission, without being tied down to the exact same mission structure, as with previous games. Simply hold down on the D-pad, select a character that's available and it switches instantly to that character and you take control. This isn't confined to inside the mission, though. When outside of a mission you can drop in (with a camera movement that zooms into the sky and back down on your character...basically, the coolest loading screen you've ever seen) on a character while he goes about his day...and he could be doing anything. The first time I tried it, I found Michael sitting in a car, clearly bored with his life.

These three characters are classic GTA. Michael, the retired criminal with a family bleeding him dry. Franklin, gangster from the hood trying to make a bigger name for himself. And last - but definitely not least - Trevor, a complete psycho living outside of the city in Blaine County.

That's all the stuff you probably know already, and obviously I haven't come close to completing this, and I wouldn't spoil it anyway. This is a day one assessment of how the game runs and controls. Do I really need to tell you how to play GTA? :D

Anyone expecting The Last of Us level of graphics will be disappointed, GTA has never - and will never - matched the highest a generation has to offer. You can't compare a linear non open world game to GTA, they are made differently. TLOU uses a smaller stage and can fit more polygons and greater quality textures. GTA has to load huge amounts of polygons and textures on the fly, so they can't be the highest quality, just the most efficient. This is why GTAV requires an 8 GB install, to maximise the games ability to stream those polygons and textures. GTAIV used a 3.3 GB install, so you can see why this game would need 8 GB of data to play with, because this game is HUGE. Los Santos and the surrounding area of Blaine County...and the rest, are said to be bigger than San Andreas, GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption put together.

While it isn't as good visually as TLOU, it's most definitely a better technical achievement. Naughty Dog have had a whole generation of success on one system. Rockstar have had major trouble with their PS3 versions of GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption. But this time both versions run almost identical (both at 720p native resolution...no sub-HD for PS3 this time), with Digital Foundry even recommending the PS3 over the 360 - the minor difference being better ground textures (not that you should spend much time looking at the ground). In terms of framerate, these consoles are being pushed, but typically keep a pretty good rate around 25-30fps (even pushing above 30 on occasion), PC gamers will roll their eyes at that, but most console gamers won't notice a thing. It is still a vast improvement over previous titles. It seems the power of the Cell has final paid off in multiplatform gaming...better late than never.

One thing that surprised me is the lack of pop in. Even in TLOU there was a fair amount of it (Firefly pendants were particularly bad), but here you are driving around at speed with mountains and bridges seemingly always there. One mission - the one from a trailer with a man jumping out of Michael's second floor window (seen here from Franklin's perspective) - sees Michael and Franklin driving up to some posh Vinewood hills location. And mid-mission I had to stop, because the view just didn't seem real..."I'm playing on a PS3, THAT shouldn't be possible", but it is.

What Rockstar have done is nothing short of a miracle. The draw distance is incredible. The words "Scope", "Sprawling", and any others reviewer's tend to give, don't do it justice. Light Source, it's an amazing feat to pull. I went to the top of a mountain and in the far distance I could see lights of cars and lights of buildings...all of which aren't just there for decoration, they are from the cars and the buildings. It makes for beautiful night time vistas. Lighting in general is superb, a great improvement over San Andreas' over saturated orange.

A lot of people have questioned how this game can run on current generation systems? The answer is simple; 5 years development and $265 million! Only one other film in history cost that much (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End cost $300 million), so it goes without saying...this is the most expensive video game ever produced, and you can see why. There just isn't another open world game that looks as good as this...for me it's up there with MGS2 on the PS2, with both punching well above their weight.

Franklin's first mission (with San Andreas funny Lamar) gives you the chance to test the new driving system. And it's as expected. Halfway between GTAIV's realism and SA's arcade. You can now pull off power slides, but with the chance of messing it up. It's the perfect system. Holding (or tapping to cycle) Left on the D-pad brings up the new radio wheel (with the game effectively paused) you choose your station using the the Right stick. Far simpler than cycling through loads of stations. This system is also used to select weapons.

The combat has had a dramatic improvement. The camera is now a lot tighter, before it was a battle with a strange system that seemed intent on moving the camera in the direction of movement. You can now shoot while running, a definite benefit, because the cops are now super aggressive.

Before GTAIV, the cops would basically just all charge towards you brainlessly...now they all charge towards you using their brains. Just a three star wanted level is a pretty tasty challenge, with even police helicopters shooting at you. They now use a cone of view to search for you, meaning you can cleverly out fox them by hiding in a back alley. They are super smart and super tough, don't even think about standing out in the open, you're dead. Don't worry though, because a nice helping of mid-mission checkpoints and the ability to save your game at any point using your phone, mean you will be straight back into the action. There is no more bringing up your phone to restart the whole mission...there is no bringing up your phone, you die, you hit one button and you're back to the last checkpoint. You keep all you guns, there is no need to keep going back and forth for more. The guns themselves can now be upgraded, right down to the colour of the weapon. Then there's the customisation of the cars...and more...in fact...why am I wasting my time even writing this!?

One last thing. If you're live on TV, whatever you do, don't answer your phone! :D

This generation goes out with a bang. The best game of the series...by the distance from one end of the map to the other...and I've only had it a day...it's quite possibly the best game ever made...apart from LittleBigPlanet 2 ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars ... - I am a huge GTA fan and really enjoyed this game for the most part and would recommend ..., 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Ok lets get this straight - I am a huge GTA fan and really enjoyed this game for the most part and would recommend it to anyone who asked BUT in my honest opinion it should never have got all those perfect scores!!!!!!!!!! I mean it isn't even in the same league of GTA Vice City (my favorite game of the franchise) and GTA San Andreas - I also think GTA 4 was just as good especially with the expansion packs - oh and GTA online is rubbish!!!!!

The idea of 3 main characters was pretty cool BUT I thought only Michael had any depth - Trevor is a rubbish character and Franklin is a carbon copy - cut and paste of CJ from San Andreas!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply astonishing game, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
A complete world with astonishing gfx and lighting that is stunning. You simply won't find a better game - and on old PS3 hardware GTAV is nothing short of a miracle.

You simply HAVE to buy this. 100% compulsory purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many Hacks, 13 Jan. 2014
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)

I won't go too much into detail with the story mode. Graphics are great. Some missions felt duplicated but others were fantastic. The missions were all easy and I completed the game fairly quickly.

My issue with this game is the Online mode. Firstly we had to wait weeks to gain access to the online mode. I understand what R* were trying to do here, but those who camp out at midnight to grab a game on release day should be able to play the game Online, we shouldn't be forced to wait.

Then we have all the server issues, boy was this a pain! R* should of been prepared for this. Ok, they gave us all 500k as compensation, but 500k is nothing in this game anymore.

Once the Online mode was finally working, we find out that people have already worked out how to Rank up quickly by playing missions that gave away stupid RP points or racing a 1 lap race and ranking up x3. This is not the players fault, they found an easy rank up and used it. If I had been online and new about this in the early days, I know my rank 60 would be much higher today. R* should of fully tested every online mission/race to ensure they were all fair.

Then we come to the money. Selling duplicated cars over and over again to earn cash. Another stupid error made by R*. And don't tell me they couldn't of tested this, they must pay people to try and break the rules before releasing a game. So now we have people driving around with $1m quid and spending it on what they want and then making another $1m by selling their duplicated cars.

To top it all off, R* fixed the duplication issues, only for some bright spark (god knows how these kids hack a PS4 game) to come along and put a bounty on your head for $2 Billion or more depending on how generous they were feeling. So now half the players (I assume) myself included have bank accounts of $2 Billion+ down to these hackers. You would think that having this much money in your bank account would be great...it is, for the first 24 hours, then you soon realise that you have no other need to earn money, cars can be replaced, ammo brought, prostitutes become your new best friend...the influx of cash has ruined the game. Again, R* should be accountable for this. It is their lack of security controls that allow hackers to come in and do this. I don't blame the hackers, hackers hack. But I would expect a game on the ps3 to be safe from hackers. That's why I left PC gaming.

And finally, the GOD hack. They walk around city and you cannot kill them. They can hide underwater and shoot you from under the sea. 5* to these hackers, I'm at an age where I can barley reboot my ps3 let alone consider hacking it, but R* are a gaming company who should of done better to protect us all from these hacks. Very disappointed with R*. I still enjoy GTA5, but feel lost with all my money

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game ever made, that was updated into a mediocre state, 5 May 2015
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
One of the best games ever made. Played so many hours a day for 14 months before finally i had enough. What ruined it over time was the updates. Rockstar took a game which gave soo much freedom in the beginning, but with every update, they tried to police it and take away fun elements and even on occasions removed elements that required skill. At one point, you were actually paid less for completing missions fast and effectively, which to me, killed the game. The original game as it came out of the box, was fantastic. how it was after a year of constant updates and of course the modders, it was a mess. Rockstar treated us fans like garbage, drip feeding poor content, failing to provide content we were promised and should have had from day one. I played the game fourteen months and never even got to play heists because they were too busy concentration on the next gen versions.

The quality of the game build and the scope was amazing, and was my most highly anticipated game of all time, its a shame i couldnt stick with it even longer, but the move to new consoles, lack of early expansions, and continued game breaking updates made a once great game become mediocre.

Would i buy this again, if i got a ps4? Absolutely. if not just for the nostalgia and single player experience. GTA is THE best game franchise ever made. I just wish the devs would have retained its originality and stopped trying to make a sandbox game so controlled and over policed. Had a great time playing it though.

GTA will always be a great game, but rockstar changed and not for the better.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) by Rockstar (PlayStation 3)