1,466 Reviews
 (1,227)

Many people, myself included, were disappointed by GTAIV on its release. There was still the initial thrill of exploring a beautifully crafted city, but that soon wore off. If I had to choose one word to describe GTAIV, it would be dull. Generally dull characters inhabited a dull world, which was scattered with dull sidequests and predominantly dull missions.

I...
Published 10 months ago by Lens of Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars Grand Theft Auto is always good
Great game! Everything has been overhauled since it's predecessor.

Only thing that could improve it now is 1080p and anti aliasing.

Common PS4 version!

As any GTA game goes though, it can get boring quick.

GTA online isn't littered with abusive idiots either, thanks too the "good sport" system that black lists annoying...
Published 6 months ago by Yaaweehoo

5.0 out of 5 stars If Rockstar ever lost the open-world genre crown, they're holding on to it with both hands now. GTAV is a masterpiece., 20 Sep 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)

I admit that I bought GTAV in no small part because of the hype. It was difficult not to get caught up in it, and I had very high hopes for a new Rockstar world. Many games struggle under the weight of such unrelenting hype, but I'm pleased to report that in my opinion GTAV is one of a very rare breed of games that actually lives up to the expectations that have been set by the gaming world.

Simply put, the world of Los Santos is stunning to explore; it is brimming with life and colour and it feels a privilege to inhabit it. In terms of scale, it took me over 10 minutes just to traverse from one end of the map to the other (land only), and that was using a very welcome fast-moving motorway that runs all around the outside of the island, weaving between traffic on a very nice superbike. The detail of the game world is also fantastic, with every corner of the map populated by little details, such as a colourful little hot dog stand nestled behind a farmyard barn right on the outskirts of civilisation. Taking all this into account, it would be ludicrous to criticise the graphics as not being as polished as very linear, closed-world games, but when the orange sun is setting behind you as you trek up a mountain side and look out at the sea crashing against the rocks, I challenge anybody to quibble about the graphics then!

In general, GTAV is a refinement of previous entries in the series and Rockstar's other open-world series, such as Red Dead. The character and car mechanics, the missions and the game world are all cases in point of this. Your character (there are now three main protagonists) handle well and the shooting mechanics have improved over previous series entries, but in my opinion it still doesn't feel as polished as some dedicated third-person shooter games, such as the underrated Binary Domain. The cars have real weight to them and are a pleasure to drive, and the sheer number of them is staggering. Unusually for open-world games (where exploration and carnage is king for me), I'm really enjoying working my way through the missions. There is so much more variety than the majority of GTAIV missions, and some in-mission twists that genuinely take me by surprise. You now get rated on each mission based on whether or not you met a set of criteria, some more difficult and outlandish than others, which has got me re-playing some missions just to get the higher rating. It's a simple but clever idea that brings added replayability, as they're available to retry as soon as you've completed them. If you don't fancy missions right away, however, why not just cruise around the city area, which is now less than 1/4 of the map size (don't worry - there's plenty to do in the rest though), and look for random events that you can participate in. Do you join two gangsters in holding up a woman outside a supermarket, or help her out? Or do you risk incurring the wrath of the police by trying to rob a security van? Do you return a civilian's bag to them after you've chased down their mugger, or keep the money for yourself? The choices are yours to make.

I could go on forever about the brilliant attention-to-detail that GTAV boasts, and the moments that never fail to make me grin like a kid who's just won a Mario Kart race. Instead, please feel free to ask any burning questions in the comments section and I'll answer if I can and I'm not too busy playing the game!

I'll leave you with two little silly morsels of information if you're still on the fence. Some cars now have three headlight settings: off, normal and raised. Brilliant eh? And when you've completed a taxi fare, keep an eye on the punter to make sure he pays you!

I cannot recommend this game highly enough if you're even remotely interested in the open-world genre, because in my opinion this game is at the pinnacle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning if you havn't completed story don't read this! Best in the series since GTA: San Andreas but not completely perfect!, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
If I had gotten round to writing this review just as I started playing the game I would have gone nuts and given 10 stars if possible. However having completed the game and seen everything it had to offer I can't quite bring myself to give it the full 5 stars despite having some great times playing it.

I will save the negatives for the end but when I first got this game I was beyond excited!

1.That long loading menu with changing promo artworks with its Michael Mann inspired score music.
2. Unlike previous games I had pretty much obsessed about this one knowing who the characters were and the basis of what the plot would be. So it was surprising that the ever awaiting start to the game was playing through a prologue set 9 years ago, in a different city to set the characters up well for the present. I have to say this was fantastic and a different way to start a GTA game compared to previous editions. In Vice City imagine if you got to play out Tommy Vercetti's prologue where he killed multiple assassins during his ambush before doing 15 years in prison back in Liberty City?
3. All characters are great and the way their introduced suits them. Michael was probably just about my favorite because i felt I related to him a little.
4. That first heist where you had to decide the method (quiet or loud) and the right crew which felt like make or break (i gambled on a cheap hacker in hope he would develop). Then the rush of actually completing the heist! Oh my there haven't been many moments where it felt so good.
5. Then being re introduced to Trevor in the present and his shocking behavior and being isolated away from Los Santos temporarily and seeing Trevor's world in the backward world of Sandy Shores.
6. Taking Trevor to Los Santos for his tense reunion with Michael whilst finally having access to the money made from the first heist.

From then on it was pretty exciting stuff as the game progressed but this does eventually bring me to the negatives. Most of these negatives come from a lot of expectation after countless obsession over every trailer and background information as well as comparisons good and bad to previous GTA games.

1. When I first saw an actual dog in a GTA trailer I was so happy. Franklin has a pet dog that I thought would be a big part of the story and be really cool. Instead Chop the rottweiler is central in one mission where he helps Franklin chase down a rival gang member but after that he rarely plays a big part and away from missions there isn't much use for him until his happy meter is higher which brings me to the frustration of the ridiculous "IFruit app". When I heard you actually have to download an app on your own phone (through your PSN username), then play a mini game on that (i think) trains Chop just to get his happy meter up alone, well I was completely frustrated. To top it off people with tablet phones had to wait forever until the App was available and then when it was I went in search for it on my phone but it turns out that my particular phone was still not compatible for the app. So I miss out on getting use out of Chop because of this? Why the hell couldn't it be done through offline gameplay and simply have button options from the start to train chop in the actual game instead? Which brings me to next point which connects a bit to Chop.

2. There are 3 playable characters in this game! In San Andreas with just one playable character; the game reportedly had over 100 story missions and I know for fact that GTA IV was reasonably long enough. So being naive I fully expected that with 3 playable characters the story missions would be tripled if you will and make the game long and fulfilling. The first time I started to lose excitement for this game was when I realized that I wasn't that far off completing the story and the game just felt shorter than its predecessors. Why the hell were there less missions? Why wasn't there more depth into Franklin's gang life background including mini gang wars (where Chop the Dog would play more of a part)? Why wasn't there more depth into Trevor's gun running and crystal meth business? Oh of course Rockstar have lost their way and focused way too much on the lame and overrated online world instead to satisfy the sad pathetic Call Of Duty online loser fans!

3. Stretch and the Triads have to be the most ineffective villains in GTA history because we simply don't see them enough on screen. Even GTA IV did better in this department when it came to menacing antagonists and so did previous games.

4. After you have done the heists and for fun you decide to replay them again, its frustrating that certain crew members that you didn't pick initially are now no longer available as an option for replays.

5. Oh yeah there's no NIGHTLIFE in the game! GTA IV may not have been a terrific game but its exanpsion spin-off; Ballad of Gay Tony, was a really fun game because of it's nightclub culture. So it frustrates me further that even with all that money you can barely enjoy nightclubs in the game (except for strip club). Even when you buy a bar or nightclub you can't even access it! For heaven sake even in GTA: Vice City which came out 12 years ago, once you bought it even then you could enter the Malibu club but in this game the creators have gone backwards and taken that fun away.

6. I strongly feel that the 3 different endings could have been better. Frankly I knew it was likely that Michael or/and Trevor could die because of what's happened in their past but not at the hands of Franklin in two very tame optional endings. Therefore of course you go with option C for the big happy ending. Realistically though there could have been another explosive ending where Michael or Trevor die because one or the other kills the other. There could have even been an ending where Franklin somehow dies and Michael feels real remorse at bringing a young kid like him into their world and paying the price.

Which finally brings me to the little things I think should have been in the game that may or may not have been in previous game:-

- Gambling! There's a race track so why the hell aren't you the player allowed to gamble down there and make the place more atmospheric. If betting shops are still legal in California why aren't they in the game too like they were in San Andreas.
- More access to buildings! This includes access to properties you buy including nightclubs. Bahama Mamas West is inaccessible which really infuriates me! The game needs way more available business properties to choose from such as nightclubs, restaurants, car dealerships, a film studio etc. Also wish the like Vice City certain properties you buy have actual story missions to them (including cut scenes) instead of the generic annoying small jobs with current properties you can buy.
- Gangland wars for Franklin & Lemar & Chop as well as a better drug distribution background for Trevor's character.
- There could have been more heists. Not major ones and don't have to involve all 3 major characters. I'm thinking more to do with Franklin along with Lemar. You can plan liquor store hold ups (including safe) or even restaurants and maybe a pawnshop robbery that doesn't go completely to plan because Franklin was a getaway driver for Lemar and Stretch was a major cause for why it was bad (you know like in Ryan Gosling in Drive).
- Although I understand that they wanted to stick to one city, I also feel that becasue Rockstar abandoned the unlock reward system it makes it less fun that youcan explore most of the city and San Andreas quite quickly. I still can't help but think what it be like to have San Fierro and Las Venturus with better graphics than what San Andreas ever achieved. If Las Venturas had been included you could include a casino robbery like in the film 3000 Miles to Graceland.

So GTA V is being re released for PS4! Well maybe I be dumb enough to buy it but I doubt they added anything to story mode so whats the point?

5.0 out of 5 stars After five years on the east coast, it was time to go home., 18 Sep 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
First impressions. Straight from the install screen you can tell this game is going to be a masterpiece. Maybe it's was the music or the fact that it had a countdown in MB, of which there are 8486, at 9MB a second, that's a long wait...but well worth it.

Then suddenly you're thrust into the action...not saying how though, no spoilers...but it's far superior to getting off a boat or plane. Here you get your first taste of the new gunplay, which was overwhelmingly great after playing GTAIV recently. Later on, after the title sequence, you get your first real go at driving...it's incredible, much improved over GTAIV (and I loved the driving in that). More on those later.

This time around we have three characters to play with...and you can switch between them mid-mission. This adds another level to how the player can complete a mission, without being tied down to the exact same mission structure, as with previous games. Simply hold down on the D-pad, select a character that's available and it switches instantly to that character and you take control. This isn't confined to inside the mission, though. When outside of a mission you can drop in (with a camera movement that zooms into the sky and back down on your character...basically, the coolest loading screen you've ever seen) on a character while he goes about his day...and he could be doing anything. The first time I tried it, I found Michael sitting in a car, clearly bored with his life.

These three characters are classic GTA. Michael, the retired criminal with a family bleeding him dry. Franklin, gangster from the hood trying to make a bigger name for himself. And last - but definitely not least - Trevor, a complete psycho living outside of the city in Blaine County.

That's all the stuff you probably know already, and obviously I haven't come close to completing this, and I wouldn't spoil it anyway. This is a day one assessment of how the game runs and controls. Do I really need to tell you how to play GTA? :D

Anyone expecting The Last of Us level of graphics will be disappointed, GTA has never - and will never - matched the highest a generation has to offer. You can't compare a linear non open world game to GTA, they are made differently. TLOU uses a smaller stage and can fit more polygons and greater quality textures. GTA has to load huge amounts of polygons and textures on the fly, so they can't be the highest quality, just the most efficient. This is why GTAV requires an 8 GB install, to maximise the games ability to stream those polygons and textures. GTAIV used a 3.3 GB install, so you can see why this game would need 8 GB of data to play with, because this game is HUGE. Los Santos and the surrounding area of Blaine County...and the rest, are said to be bigger than San Andreas, GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption put together.

While it isn't as good visually as TLOU, it's most definitely a better technical achievement. Naughty Dog have had a whole generation of success on one system. Rockstar have had major trouble with their PS3 versions of GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption. But this time both versions run almost identical (both at 720p native resolution...no sub-HD for PS3 this time), with Digital Foundry even recommending the PS3 over the 360 - the minor difference being better ground textures (not that you should spend much time looking at the ground). In terms of framerate, these consoles are being pushed, but typically keep a pretty good rate around 25-30fps (even pushing above 30 on occasion), PC gamers will roll their eyes at that, but most console gamers won't notice a thing. It is still a vast improvement over previous titles. It seems the power of the Cell has final paid off in multiplatform gaming...better late than never.

One thing that surprised me is the lack of pop in. Even in TLOU there was a fair amount of it (Firefly pendants were particularly bad), but here you are driving around at speed with mountains and bridges seemingly always there. One mission - the one from a trailer with a man jumping out of Michael's second floor window (seen here from Franklin's perspective) - sees Michael and Franklin driving up to some posh Vinewood hills location. And mid-mission I had to stop, because the view just didn't seem real..."I'm playing on a PS3, THAT shouldn't be possible", but it is.

What Rockstar have done is nothing short of a miracle. The draw distance is incredible. The words "Scope", "Sprawling", and any others reviewer's tend to give, don't do it justice. Light Source, it's an amazing feat to pull. I went to the top of a mountain and in the far distance I could see lights of cars and lights of buildings...all of which aren't just there for decoration, they are from the cars and the buildings. It makes for beautiful night time vistas. Lighting in general is superb, a great improvement over San Andreas' over saturated orange.

A lot of people have questioned how this game can run on current generation systems? The answer is simple; 5 years development and $265 million! Only one other film in history cost that much (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End cost $300 million), so it goes without saying...this is the most expensive video game ever produced, and you can see why. There just isn't another open world game that looks as good as this...for me it's up there with MGS2 on the PS2, with both punching well above their weight.

Franklin's first mission (with San Andreas funny Lamar) gives you the chance to test the new driving system. And it's as expected. Halfway between GTAIV's realism and SA's arcade. You can now pull off power slides, but with the chance of messing it up. It's the perfect system. Holding (or tapping to cycle) Left on the D-pad brings up the new radio wheel (with the game effectively paused) you choose your station using the the Right stick. Far simpler than cycling through loads of stations. This system is also used to select weapons.

The combat has had a dramatic improvement. The camera is now a lot tighter, before it was a battle with a strange system that seemed intent on moving the camera in the direction of movement. You can now shoot while running, a definite benefit, because the cops are now super aggressive.

Before GTAIV, the cops would basically just all charge towards you brainlessly...now they all charge towards you using their brains. Just a three star wanted level is a pretty tasty challenge, with even police helicopters shooting at you. They now use a cone of view to search for you, meaning you can cleverly out fox them by hiding in a back alley. They are super smart and super tough, don't even think about standing out in the open, you're dead. Don't worry though, because a nice helping of mid-mission checkpoints and the ability to save your game at any point using your phone, mean you will be straight back into the action. There is no more bringing up your phone to restart the whole mission...there is no bringing up your phone, you die, you hit one button and you're back to the last checkpoint. You keep all you guns, there is no need to keep going back and forth for more. The guns themselves can now be upgraded, right down to the colour of the weapon. Then there's the customisation of the cars...and more...in fact...why am I wasting my time even writing this!?

One last thing. If you're live on TV, whatever you do, don't answer your phone! :D

This generation goes out with a bang. The best game of the series...by the distance from one end of the map to the other...and I've only had it a day...it's quite possibly the best game ever made...apart from LittleBigPlanet 2 ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars grand theft auto five, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
My son enjoys this game very much. He and his friends play it a lot. It is a bit blood thirsty and there is bad language but the lads are all over 18 and hear just as much when out and about! But all in all it is the crashes and the different vehicles they can jump in and drive that they enjoy so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Wrong But So Right, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Not the most ethical game out there but its a whole heap of fun. Got it for 20 as well. The targeting system is way better than GTA 4 were it would aim at someone 100m away whilst ignoring the guy shooting at you from 2m away!! . All in all what i've seen of los santos so far is very impressive & looking foward to hours of fun doing things i won't do i real life. I bought this over Battle Field not being a hard core gamer i get hammered online not much fun. So i think there will be hours of fun with GTA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Lots of stuff to do I the game so you can play it for a long time without getting bored! 👍

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply astonishing game, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
A complete world with astonishing gfx and lighting that is stunning. You simply won't find a better game - and on old PS3 hardware GTAV is nothing short of a miracle.

You simply HAVE to buy this. 100% compulsory purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Game I've Ever Played, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Awesome game so impressed with rockstar and the time and effort thats gone into making one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. This is a stepping stone for GTA games to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game ever., 9 April 2014
Paul G "Paul" (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
This is absolutely the best game ever.

I can't think of a better technical game than GTA V, the man power that must of gone into making this is outstanding.

I just wish they were bringing it to Next Gen, but heres to GTA VI.

The online multiplayer is a great laugh with your mates, but there is no real end game, or any reason to level up. It is best just to enjoy it for what it is.

The size of the map is jaw dropping, if you didn't buy it on day one like most people, now is the time to buy it at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game I've played., 27 May 2014
Mr. D. Paveley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) (Video Game)
Not a massive gamer but this is the best game I've ever played. Not sure why I'm reviewing it because you all know already, or have it, or can just watch videos on YouTube. I'll just shut up now.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) by Rockstar (PlayStation 3)
26.99