5.0 out of 5 stars Achingly funny and poignant too
Published on 8 Feb 2003 by C. Pope

3.0 out of 5 stars AMUSING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING
COMPLETE CONTRAST FROM PERFECT MERINGUES. CAPTURES THE ESSENCE OF THE HIGH RISE HOUSING ESTATE AND THE PLIGHT OF THE ELDERLY.WELL OBSERVED AND MAKES YOU EMPATHISE WITH BIRDIE'S PLIGHT AND HER DETERMINATION NOT TO END UP IN THE OLD PEOPLE'S HOME.
Published on 10 Jan 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Achingly funny and poignant too, 8 Feb 2003
C. Pope "funkychicken73" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having read all of Laurie Graham's novels, I can definitely say that this is my favourite, and, in my opinion, it's the funniest. The humour displays Victoria Wood and Alan Bennett overtones, and the laughs are interspersed with episodes of great poignancy. The central character, Birdie Gibbs, whilst perhaps not as instantly likeable as Lizzie Partridge in Perfect Meringues, is very engaging, and highlights the experiences of elderly people having to cope with life on rough council estates. The supporting cast of assorted pensioners, bullies and greyhounds is magnificent, and I found myself devouring this book in one sitting. Fans of David Nobbs' wonderful 'Going Gently' would definitely enjoy this too.

3.0 out of 5 stars AMUSING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING, 10 Jan 2001
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a GOLDEN GRAHAM..!!!, 3 Jan 2012
Top reader (south east coast UK) - See all my reviews
Having read 3 Laurie graham novels, i was looking forward to this one..
I have to say that it is not as good as the ones i had previously read, which were Future homemakers of america 4*
The unfortunates 3* and The importance of Being Kennedy 5*
It is a 'thin' book, and light in every sense of the word...1* in comparrision to her others but I am glad i read it and am now into Gone with the windsors, and i have bought copies of 3 other novels of LG's .I am sure i will enjoy them....
Dont let my review put you off , because LG's 1* books are still 30% better than many other current writers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read from Laurie Graham, 19 Dec 2012
I've read most of Laurie Graham's work and have never been disappointed. "Dog Days, Glenn Miller Nights" is no exception. It is in turn funny, moving and thought provoking with an unusual main character in Birdie, and 80 year old feisty lady. It really struck a chord with me as my own elderly mother died quite recently and I could identify on her behalf, with many of the situations descriped in the book. My only critisicsm is that the book was too short and I didn't want it to finish! I am always amazed at the vast variety of subject matter that Ms Graham writes about; no two books are the same. I highly recommend all her work and can't wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a surprise find, 29 Jan 2011
I picked this up from a book swap table not knowing of Laurie Graham or her work. I was entranced from page one by the writing and the characters whose lives leapt to life from the page from the sparest of detail - much of what it told is between the lines. To prove an earlier reviewer totally wrong, I shall definitely be seeking out more of the author's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick but enjoyable read, 14 Feb 2010
I read this book in one night - partly because it's relatively short, but also partly due to the fact that I couldn't put it down! I love books where you can hear the character's voice in your head, they really come alive for you - and Birdie is one such character. The grimness of Birdie's and her friends situations is nicely tempered with Graham's usual, wonderful humour. Not Graham's best by far - this is a much earlier work, and it shows, but I would still thoroughly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dog Days, Glenn Miller Nights (Kindle Edition)
I have read a lot of the authors previous books , the characters are always life like and whilst this story was good the back drop of a council estate did not engage me .despite this ,I enjoyed it and would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it !! Warmth, humour and social history all in one., 17 Oct 2013
Sandra Bartlett "Sandra" (West Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dog Days, Glenn Miller Nights (Kindle Edition)
Full of warmth humour and modern social history.
I am a great fan of Laurie Graham and took the opportunity to buy up some of her earlier books. So glad I did, this as good as any of her later books. I was upset when it finished. I really cared about Birdie and her friends and wanted to know more. I do hope our heroine got to go dancing again.

4.0 out of 5 stars DOG DAYS, GLEN MILLER NIGHTS, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dog Days, Glenn Miller Nights (Kindle Edition)
I love Laurie Graham's writing - my favourite of all being 'ALL AT SEA' but this comes a close second. I would have liked it to have been longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars dog. days, glenn miller nights, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dog Days, Glenn Miller Nights (Kindle Edition)
lg ved this book. it made me laugh on every page. loved the main character, such wit, wish she was real, would love to meet her. the story is about a pensioner living on her own in a high rise flat in a rough area, could be a bit depressing if it was not so funny. buy it now!

Dog Days, Glenn Miller Nights