5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent watercolour palette
Amazon seem to have classified this under toys, something this excellent watercolour palette definitely is not!

Published 11 months ago by A Common Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Mijello Fusion 18 Artists Watercolour Palette MWP-3018
Published 13 months ago by Ian B

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent watercolour palette, 8 Sep 2013
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mijello Fusion18 - Artists Watercolour Palette MWP-3018 (Toy)

As a longstanding watercolour artist I have tried many palettes but this one is definitely the best I have owned. It's very smart and elegant design is matched by the quality of the materials used in it's manufacture. It is beautifully slim but the individual pans have enough capacity to hold a good amount of tube colour. And of course, with it's snugly fitting lid, I find that the tube colour stays damp for much longer than in a conventional palette.

The lift-out tray is a master-stroke, effectively doubling the amount of space for mixing colour, and also making it easy to wash the palette.

I wish I had discovered this palette some years ago so I could have benefited from it for much longer. I would without doubt recommend this to any watercolour artist.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mijello Fusion 18 Artists Watercolour Palette MWP-3018, 14 July 2013
I have been looking for a watercolour palette for some time and when I came across Mijello Fusion 18 Artists Watercolour Palette MWP-3018 I thought I had found one that met nearly all my requirements. I was looking for a fairly compact palette, one that can be used for field trips and that can be carried around in my art bag with the rest of my equipment. I was looking for one that had a minimum of twelve colour compartments for my limited palette, with a few spare compartments for those few colours that fall outside my basic range. The Fusion 18 has eighteen colour compartments and three mixing areas, one of which is the entire internal length and width of the palette lid, all ideal for what I require.

What really sold it to me was that it was described as leak proof and airtight by the manufacturer, this meant that I would have no worry about washing it out every time I finish using it, I could just put it in my art bag with the rest of my kit, also I could keep and re-use the paints as the palette is airtight.

Having received the palette on first impression it appeared to be of similar quality to that I would expect from Winsor & Newton apart from the hinge, for whatever reason I expected it to be pinned or slightly more robust looking. All-in-all it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for.

On closer inspection the catch on the palette did not provide a positive snap closure (as you would expect based on similar type snap top seal containers). As one of the main deciding factors on selecting the palette was because it is advertised as being ‘leak proof and airtight’. I decided to test it (as a leaky palette could damage the contents of my art bag).

I tested the seal by placing a small amount of water in one of the two small mixing areas, then after closing the palette and catch, I gently shook the palette (to try and simulate it being carried in the art bag), it leaked like a sieve from the seal. I examined the removable seal, it was recessed below the top of the seal rebate within the lid (particularly on the left hand side). This would not have been a problem if the raised bead on palette which forms the contact against the seal protruded sufficiently enough to compress the seal, but unfortunately it didn’t.

At first I thought it was a one off, but following on from the return of the faulty palette I spoke with the supplier, he confirmed the remainder of his stock were likely to be similar. Whether it was part of a faulty batch, or a design fault I do not know, but the supplier said that he would report it to the manufacturer.

Other than the seal, the pallet appears to meet most of my requirements, and if the seal problem could be overcome so it is truly leak proof and air tight as described I would buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely compact but mine are not leak proof, 12 July 2014
I bought two of these to use when I was painting outdoors because I wanted to be able to carry them easily even when still holding paint between locations or to clean when I got home. They are nicely compact and easy to open. The palettes I received however are NOT leak proof even though they are advertised as such. I now put the palette inside a plastic zip lock bag so any small leaks are contained.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific addition to the water colourists kit, 15 Dec 2013
A wonderful addition to the watercolourist kit and essential to me, better than using the conventional palette especially on location or at a class.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT A TOY but a decent palette, 22 Jan 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Very nice watercolour palette with a lid that seals, plenty of wells and a removable palette. Easy to clean, watercolour washes sit nicely in the wells and colours appear true. Not too big for an amateur artist, but probably a bit small if you do a lot of work. I find it a nice piece of kit.