4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet - poor documentation
First off I got this for £150 in the Amazon Boxing Day sale. I see they're selling it now for £170 - not quite the £50 off the sale price was supposed to be. Nevertheless £20 is £20, so thank you Amazon for that.

Published on 30 Dec. 2011 by Concertina Chap

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled
Unfortunately, I have to say this Tablet is an extremely bad product. The specifications look impressive, but they dont perform.

Pros:
Cheap Price - (buy cheap you buy twice)
Screen is clear and responsive - (but let down to android 2.3.4 OS graphics and textures, the GUI is pixilated)
SD storage slot to expand memory
Volume Rockers...
Published on 30 Dec. 2011 by Jesse Nandra

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet - poor documentation, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Lenovo A1 7 inch Multi Touch Tablet (Cortex A8 1GHz, 16Gb Storage, 512Mb RAM, Dual Camera (0.3MP front/3MP rear), Android 2.3.4) - Blue (Personal Computers)

I also have a Dell Streak tablet/phone thingy running under Android 2.2, so I found working with the A1 a doddle, not many differences between 2.2 and 2.3 and Lenovo have done little to it beyond adding their own launcher widget which doesn't get in the way too much. The Lenovo Shop is pointless but Android Market is there amongst the apps and so you can add apps to your heart's content. They've included a couple of apps including my favourite file manager ES File Explorer. The initialisation routine is simple and works. Generally, then, a good installation.

The hardware is good too. Screen clear and colourful and reasonably responsive, a little slower in that regard than the Streak but acceptable. Plenty of memory that has been partitioned up sensibly (16GB: 2GB for Android, 2GB for apps and 12 GB for user data). The camera, well, I've used it once and the picture was OK but quite noisy, but I don't expect I'll use it again, a tablet is really not what you be using for photos that matter. Sound is OK and the mic works. Putting in a micro-SD card results in it appearing at the mount point /removable_sdcard/ (covering up any files you've put there because it is a mount point in the Linux sense). Both internal and external memory appear separately to a host computer if you use the USB link.

All in all I think this is a cracking piece of kit for the price (especially the price I paid) and offers a lot more than, for instance, the Kindle Fire. However, I'm only giving it 4 stars because of the total lack of helpful documentation if you're new to these things. The only documentation that comes with it says, basically, switch on and follow the instructions. That gets you through initialisation but then leaves you stranded. It doesn't even tell you that there is a user manual (not all that good but better than nothing) buried away among the apps. Very bad show. I did find the user manual online while I was waiting for the tablet to arrive. In case it helps anyone else you will find it here: [...]

I had no problems, but then I had the Dell Streak and I've been working with Unix-based OSes for close to 25 years.

Edit: I see Amazon removed my totally harmless URL. Well, google "lenovo ideapad a1 user guide" and you'll get it as the first link. Any online Android manual will also be a good move.

UPDATE on 16th Jan: Last night the O/S was updated over the air. The only change I've noticed so far is a good one. I'd commented the screen was a little slow at responding to touch, something that others have commented on as well. Now it isn't - it's *wonderfully* responsive. makes the whole machine feel faster. Nice one, Lenovo!

UPDATE on 7th March: Another OTA update this morning. For reference it's Android 2.3.4, the kernel version is 2.6.35.7 and the build no is A107WO_A234_001_015_2643_ROW.

FINAL UPDATE on 14th May: Everything still going swimmingly here after nearly 5 months. I changed the launcher to Zeam about a month ago, which plays very nicely on the A1. It's supposed to be lightweight and slick, and indeed it does run very fast and smoothly on this platform. It's not available on the Android market for some reason, but downloading and installing from zeam.org works fine.

FINAL FINAL UPDATE on 17th May 2013. One year later it's still working fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 31 Jan. 2012
S. Fayers - See all my reviews
I am very fussy when it comes to buying gadgets; so I scoured several reviews of this and other similar products on various websites before choosing this one.
Lenovo is a trusted brand name for me, as they used to make IBM computers. I was slightly put off by some reviews which state problems with the touchpad being overly sensitive; but this seems to be a rare problem with a few faulty tablets. If this happens, send it back for a working replacement. Mine works perfectly and I am very happy with it.

I wanted a small, lightweight tablet that I could watch films, listen to music, read books, view emails, and use facebook and other websites on; and this is perfect for that. It also has a front webcam and back camera for instant uploading of photos and videos to Facebook or Youtube(should you so desire). It is able to run Adobe Flash player (unlike some tablets), meaning you can watch videos on websites and use BBC iplayer. It also has a handy little switch on the side which can lock the screen in place; in case you don't want it to turn (portrait/landscape view) automatically when on it's side.

The operating system is Android, meaning you have an immense range of apps that you can easily download for your every need. If you download Skype for example, you can make free video calls to other Skype users (unlike the ipad, which would charge you to make video calls).

The hard-drive is an impressive 16GB; which is more than similar tablets (in a higher price range) are offering. You can also increase the storage capacity by adding a micro SD card up to 32GB. This also allows for easy tranfer of files, videos, photos and music from your computer onto your tablet.

In summary, I am really impressed with this, and am glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars All around budget table with well known brand, 27 Jan. 2012
M Z Hamzah (Stone,, Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For start Lenovo is a company that bought IBM PC division, and all of them agreed that they still keep the quality of world renown 'Thinkpad' brand and at the same time offer the best value and keep the cost of manufacturing down.

They're consider new into this tablet market, and when the price of the tablet (7inch) came down to £149, I straight jump and bought it.. The reason for this, is I would love a similar tablet i.e Galaxy Tab when it first launch without braking the bank. and boy I'm not disappointed at all.

You can get a cheaper unbranded tablet from China, and I can tell you the difference.. With this table, or possibly extra £40 to £50 extra, you get a front and back camera, ala ipad2, good for skype, better resolution (more pixel per dot) 1024x600 compare with 800x480, bettery battery life, 5-6 hrs vs 3-4 hrs as well as other good component, i.e GPS, Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, and whopping 16GB memory built in compare with 4GB with the other brand.

What you ahve to do is just installed, Launcher Go EX, and this is by far as closest you can get compare this to IOS, I'm an owner of ipad2, so I know how good this launcher/theme is. You also can do custom grid 6x6, since the default you do is 5x5, which's fine for a phone, but for a tablet this size you can squeeze more. I'm still on 5x5 but will change it today, I've read and you can do it under 'custom grid'.

If you find your widget can't be centred, what you have to do is, hold down your widget more than 2seconds and you should be able to see a resize tool, where you can stretch and make this in the centre. This was on 5x5, but it would be better on 6x6.

So there you go, hope you know which one to decide and you will not be disappointed.

Disadvantge: No digital compass (eventhough has G-sensor, so game works fine)
Ports: No HDMI, USB (I don't think you need this, but USB can be handful)

It depends on your usage, and none of this bother me.. unless this is d first tablet / laptop you want and want to do everything with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the cheap tablets, 27 Mar. 2012
The screen is a bit dull in direct sunlight and it attracts finger prints like mad, but it's an excellent device nonetheless. I highly recommend rooting it (search google for "xda developers lenovo a1") and installing something like LCD Density. This will let you bump up the resolution of the screen and give you a lot more real estate to work with. Sure the Asus Eeepad Transformer and the Samsung Galaxy Tab are better tablets but they can cost two or three times as much and are quite a bit larger. The Lenovo just fits in the back pocket of my Levis and doesn't weight much more than a large format paperback. It's also quite sturdy. I've been throwing it in my backpack (which gets banged around a fair bit at work and on the tube) for a month now and it just hums along happily. The screen hasn't been scuffed at all but the plastic back does seem to scratch easily.

I highly highly recommend this to anyone consider a Kindle Fire or B&N Nook Colour.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent tablet, 27 April 2012
This tablet is a great alternative to an ipad, especially because of the price. It's easy to use and set up, and connected to the internet straight away. It's fantastic and is really fast, even faster than my laptop. I am very glad I bought this and would recommended it to anyone interested in buying a tablet. It has a good battery life and also charges quickly. I've barely been on my laptop since I bought this! it's brilliant :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled, 30 Dec. 2011

Pros:
Cheap Price - (buy cheap you buy twice)
SD storage slot to expand memory
Volume Rockers
Rotational lock slider
Internal Microphone
Light and Slim
Cameras - (the worst cameras I've ever used, they might as well should have just left them out)
1 GHZ Processor - (the worst processor I've ever used, performs like a 500Mhz (half of 1Ghz) processor, it cant handle a mobile OS without lag)

Cons:
Extremely bad quality cameras, that dont even meet up to the minimal standards of a 3mp, the pictures taken are grainy and filthy.
Bad quality speakers that are not very loud and distort even on low volumes (despite there being a large speaker grill)
Android 2.3.4, an OS designed for operation on a mobile phone does not have high resolution textures to make use of the tablets above average screen
The 1GHZ processor seems to perform like a 500 MHZ processor, therefore, the tablet lags constantly throughout operation.
Poorly designed Lenovo software increases lag
Transitions and animations are extremely laggy and not smooth as you would expect
Wifi range is poor and slow (even next to the router)
Only 12GB storage instead of 16GB (14GB/15GB would have been the real storage space with all the included software and OS)
Heats up very quickly, indicating a large processor threshold as specific areas of the tablet get hot, outlining the location of components.
Bad light sensor (constantly changes brightness)
Annoying touch pad at the bottom of the tablet for back, options and exit. They only light up for a few seconds when touched and go off again, and they dont automatically come on in darkness despite the tablets light sensor, a poor implication of them.

In my opinion, this tablet is a waste of money. If you just want a simple tablet to browse the web, read a few books or play some games, this tablet can barley perform those tasks without lagging constantly or heating up. Sure, its a cheap tablet and claims to be very well priced with its claimed specifications, but they really just dont meet to them. I wasnt expecting a top of the range best technology tablet, but I was hoping for a nicely balanced smooth tablet, of course with a little lag in some places but to have a good WiFi range and pleasant operation. There are lots of other tablets being produced, I recommend going for an ANDROID 4.0, or at least ANDROID 3.0 tablet, as those operating systems have been optimized and designed for tablets, giving much better operation and design aesthetics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value Andoid Tablet, 24 Jan. 2012
Very nice build quality and at this price is only up against mystery make bits of kit, specs are a bit low but again price is a factor similar in spec tot he Kindle Fire and I can't think the Fire will be any better. Have had 8 hours with wifi on today and that left 15% on the battery indicated which has impressed me. The Android market works and it went on to wi-fi first time no problems. It also tethered to my mobile and went online that when tried. Flash 11 works fine.

Internal memory is 4GB not 16 GB in the description but extra memory is sooo cheap.

Have had an android phone for over a year so feel very confident with the android operating system and of course it does say no service at times (it is referrring to the non-existant phone).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet, 18 Feb. 2012
I'm so pleased with this tablet, i had bought a 10' tablet-but returned it and ordered this one. i'm so glad i did as this is so much better :D
I received it a few weeks ago, its fast, hasn't slowed down on any apps or games, well build-not at all flimsy.
Just the right size to hold, the battery lasts a few hours (even playing games) connected to the internet straight away (though it does disconnect sometimes) not sure why...
I didnt expect it to be as good as it is, thats why i held back on my review lol to see if it slowed down and went sluggish after a while BUT it didnt.
Speakers are loud enough, camera not great but good enough for a tablet.

Can anyone recommend a case or cover for it please, prefferably not black (even a silicone gel one as i let my grandson play educational apps on it)?
Also does anyone know if i can protect apps on the home screen from being accidentaly deleted or moved when other people use it, as you dont have to press too long for options to come up on apps to delete or move them by mistake, thats the only thing i can find to fault it.
I got an app protector but that doesn't stop apps being accidentaly deleted, if pressed a bit longer.
i would be greatful for any tips on that.
thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle fire alternative, 6 Feb. 2012
Kindle Customer (Uckfield England) - See all my reviews
Like others I waited impatiently for the kindle fire to be released in the uk. In the absence of any news for this I bought the lenovo idea pad a1. Wow! Shan't bother with kindle fire now - bad luck amazon -should have released it here sooner. Idea pad does all and much more. Battery life pretty good if you turn off wifi if not using Internet. I have had no problems with wifi using bt hub with bt infinity broadband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo A1, 4 April 2012
The Lenovo A1 arrived quick...great start! After charging up and hitting the switch I have been using this tablet regularly. I like the handy size. Its screen is good to touch and access with. I choose the non black option....great for a bit of colour and easy to find! As a non tech guy I thing the Lenovo is great product for the size, screen and an addition to my lap top.