5.0 out of 5 stars Great product very easy to understand and operate
I don't usually bother to write reviews but I thought this deserved one.
As the previous reviewer I spent some time deciding between the visually similar models available here. I chose this one because it was branded and the most recent addition here, though not the cheapest. Others had negative comments for functions important to me.

I've had it about 3...
Published on 29 Mar. 2012 by Bob K

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not so cheerful!
I bought this video recorder on good faith after reading positive reviews. it arrived in good time, well packed.

Published 17 months ago by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product very easy to understand and operate, 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Prestigio Road Runner HD1 Car Digital Video Recorder (Electronics)
I don't usually bother to write reviews but I thought this deserved one.

I've had it about 3 weeks now and I'm happy to give a 5 star review as it ticks most of the boxes for me.

The most important of which is that it is fully automatic - providing the car adaptor is plugged/ wired into a socket switched by the ignition. No forgetting to turn it on or off, which I most certainly would. You just need to remember to leave the ignition on in the event of an incident (or press the manual on button)

Don't remove the card until you have completely shut down the unit or you will probably lose the last recording

The instructions are clear & easy to understand, (I guess written by an English speaker, not in the usual Chinglish).

When the car is started it switches on and starts recording, stopping recording when the ignition switched off, shutting down completely some 10/15 seconds later after saving the recording.
It also charges the internal battery whilst recording.
You can choose file size to be 2/ 5/ 15 minutes. There's a 3sec or so break between recordings.
When the card is full it will continue by overwriting the oldest file first. I chose 15min as it reduces the chance that any incident would be in the dead period.

Recording quality (HD 1280*720) is as good as I expected, with no jumping or breaks.
It uses a standard (not mini) Sd/mmc card. I bought a 32gig class 10 at the same time as they are quite cheap now.

It also has a motion detect setting and infra red led's so you can set it to see any whilst parked incidents.

It will take still images up to 5M 2560*920 though I've not tested this as yet - (not why I bought it).

Because of the wide angle lens you can't read number plates over about 10 meters (but the audio is clear enough if you remember to speak the number).

My only gripe;
It is a pity it does not have GPS capability for recording Location & speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 16/10/12

I have been using this for 6 months now and there is not much I can add to the above. Other than the way I have it installed it has been totally fit and forget automatic and faultless, except when the suction cup lets go from the screen occasionally as they all do, it's attached to the printed mottled section at the top of the screen which is not ideal. I'm looking at some way of attaching it to the rear view mirror. (must turn the audio off or remember not to talk to myself in the car)
Unless there is something I specifically want to back up I remove the card about once a month to confirm function (scandisk), which after 6 months use is perfect. There have been a couple of incidents where the video evidence would be invaluable if there had been a dispute.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 09/08/2013

Everything still working perfectly, including the economical Komputerbay 32GB Class 10 card I bought at the same time.

I've just bought another one plus card to fit to my Honda S-wing Scooter, (now I've worked out where & how to fit it).

So still very much justified 5 star from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ebay VS Geniune product, 28 Sept. 2012
Length:: 1:01 Mins

I found the picture quality was good and audio(Yes i turned it off in the video) was good too. The reason i bought this is i did'nt want to buy a cheap product of ebay and find that it has broken down at some point and failed to record what i needed it to record, the cable length was good on this, managed to wind it under the dash,along the trim to get it to a center postion on the windscreen, so no wire hanging down the center of the dash, really happy with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good item but interferes with your Satnav, 22 Jan. 2013
I bought this item a couple of weeks a go and I'm pretty much impressed with it. It's got a wide angle view (about 120º) which covers most of everything you see yourself. The quality is very good with a date and time stamp. However, the ability to read a number plate at more than 10-15 feet is very hard. Yet, it has the option to record audio too, so you can always just speak the registration number of any wrong doer who has done you wrong.
The lead for the cigarette lighter is really long. I'm a truck driver (alas) and can confirm that the lead is long enough to go around the trim and back to a port in the middle, so you don't have to have the lead dangling down the middle of the windscreen.
Also, for truckers alike, the wide angle is ample enough to cover the view out of the whole screen.
The camera feels a little cheap-ish and the buttons are a bit 'clunky'. The camera attaches to the window suction mount with a screw thread that is the same size as camera tripod threads, so it's easy enough to buy another mount if the mount it comes with isn't suitable to your needs.
Like I say, I've only just got it and I'll re-review it again if a few months.

BEWARE! JUST FOUND OUT. This device will block your satnav's GPS reception so that it won't be able to pick up the GPS signal or it will be severely disrupted at best. It seems to have something to do with the infrared lights on the camera that interferes with the GPS. I've found that by setting the Satnav on the right and the cam on the left (or middle) of the windscreen, tends to get around the problem and doesn't interfere with it at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not so cheerful!, 6 Dec. 2013
Mike (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The video quality is not what I'd call "HD" and even fairly close number plates are hard to read. Otherwise the quality of the video is, rather dubiously, suitable for recording the basis of what happens on the road in front of you. The problem did not become apparent to me until I examined the videos on the 16Gb fast card that I used.

I wanted to copy and save a video that showed a Richards Reliable Road Transport Articulated lorry carving me up at a roundabout, in the wrong lane, no signals and forcing me to brake before the front of my car was squashed under the trailer! However, the video before that (it is supposed to be set to record in 15 minute lengths) showed up until about 4-5 minutes before that incident. The incident itself was not recorded! If there had have been an accident I'd have had no proof whatsover apart from a trashed vehicle! Not happy. I checked every track and there were none after the one before.

The "blurb" says that the VCR will record for 15 minutes, then automatically start writing another track. However, it does not state that this event *might* take place some time after the last track, maybe five minutes? Maybe ten minutes? When?

The quality, although not clear or sharp, would have been acceptable at the price, but the fact that it did not continue to record one track immediately after the last is unacceptable and undermines its purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars TIP TOP VALUE, 27 Dec. 2012
Easy instructions to follow ---safety in use ,to prepare while stood and commence on starting engine.
clear pictures even when full sun driving south east .
Best of two I have had
GeorgeDen;J

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, affordable, stable, 11 Mar. 2013
John Walshe (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This isn't a premium quality item, but it's quite inexpensive for what you get - reliable, decent quality, wide angle 1280 pixel wide video recording from behind your rear view mirror.
Image quality isn't bad, and it records as long as the engine is running in settable bite size pieces as AVI.
The included window-sucker type mount was very stable, although I imagine if you have the graduated tint as the top of your windscreen you might have issues.
You don't get a memory card with this, so you'll need one, and a sizable one at that, as you'd need a 4GB card for just 1 hour.
Although the files shrink to a small fraction of that size when re-saved from video edit software with reasonable compression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 18 Dec. 2012
Multi language instructions could be better and the buttons are not that easy to use if fitted near the rear view mirror, but for the money this is EXCELLENT! Video quality is good enough to prove who would be to blame in the event of an accident. I just wish I had one fitted when some idiot caused me to have to write off my long beloved XJR.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little device, if a bit fragile but excellent value for money., 9 Mar. 2013
Very good but the battery lasts no more than 50 minutes from a full charge, so it's not practical to rely on the battery but using the charger plugged into the cigarette lighter it works very well indeed but i would suggest a 32GB Scan disk. This memory stick can also be used in certain digital cameras. Downloading the data captured on the memory stick on to the computer is also very simple and if need be the data captured can either be deleted or if the vehicle was involved in an accident, the data can be burned on to a disk and sent to the Insurance company.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality and Amazing!, 4 Jan. 2013
Daggerwin (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The prestigio road runner is a brilliant camera. The quality is fantastic and you can clearly see everything on the road including number plates from a decent distance. It also copes well at night, it can see everything the human eye can and is extremely clear.
It is compact and lightweight and it is even small enough to slip it in your pocket when you have come to the end of your journey.
The screen is good because it's not so small you can't see a thing and it's not so big that it becomes distracting while driving so it is a perfect size really.

It is very easy to use and I really recommend it.
Five stars from me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Prestigio Roadrunner HDI DVR, 23 July 2013
Product delivered to Spain via MRW in days! I have been learning to understand how it operates for the past week and am quite pleased to report that it has come well above my expectations. I had been looking at various other types of DVR for the purpose of recording road journeys, which are vastly more expensive and some cheaper. The Prestigio had a good specification and was more reasonably priced so I ordered it in the hope it would work enough for me. Reviews were good in general although a very similar product which was much cheaper was rated very low. Do not mistake the two. This review is for the Prestigio HD1.
Assembling the it, and understanding the items in the box was simple although as previous reviews have mentioned, understanding the various buttons usage, comes with some difficulty. The Instruction booklet comes in a multi-language and includes English on the first page. The problem with booklet is that it is incredibly small with minute printing. Do download the printable version from [...]

Press the buttons firmly but do not keep pressing them as some do have further use for sub-menus. You may also have to press other buttons to get to an item in a sub-menu and this should be done quickly. Especially noticeable when you have already selected "motion detect." In which case it will start recording and will not switch off when required or allow you to select other menus. It is necessary to press REC/SNAP and immediately ON/OFF. This will stop the recording and close down the product. The REC/SNAP button serves also as an ENTER button when changing options as in computers.

I have been using only an 8gb card but have ordered a 32gb as recommended by the manufacturer. It does work but perhaps more space and speed of loading/reading will help definition. Identifying registration numbers of traffic is currently very difficult.

When installing in your car beware of reflections on the windscreen, so clean the windscreen inside and out. No problem with the suction holder has been experienced. I am very pleased with product and shall soon order another to attach to the rear-window. I would have liked it to have a mains charger/supply and could use it as a security device in the home. Perhaps my Tom-Tom one will do the job! Be patient and get to understand all that it can do before getting into a tantrum and sending it back.