5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY USEFUL AND VALUE FOR MONEY UTILITY
A good backup utility comprises of three things,

1. Ease of installation
2. Ease of back up
3. Ease of restoring data

If you are able to tick all the boxes then you are pretty much there.

Prior to installing this utility I had been using one of its major competitors, so I will run through a few comparisons and findings.
The...
Published on 22 Mar 2012 by Helpless

1.0 out of 5 stars Complicated Product
Published on 16 Feb 2012 by Manu

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY USEFUL AND VALUE FOR MONEY UTILITY, 22 Mar 2012
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A good backup utility comprises of three things,

1. Ease of installation
2. Ease of back up
3. Ease of restoring data

If you are able to tick all the boxes then you are pretty much there.

The interface is self-explanatory, and actually simple to follow. It consists of a few clicks of the mouse button, it does not need an instruction booklet.

This product was infinitely easier to install, load the disc, input the product keys, there are two printed inside the box and it was installed, in less than 5 minutes.
I decided on a full disc, recovery disc and boot disc backup, 654 GB are now being compressed into a 148 GB file on a 2TB external Western Digital Hard Drive. This is going on as I speak and it will take approximately 2 hours.

At this point I started to think that it just cannot be as easy as this to back up a whole hard drive, surely not? Well it is, this product makes it simple and so far so good. One point to mention is that I am writing this review on Office 2010 while watching a film in HD and there are no slowdowns in anything, all the programs are running fine while the backup copy is being made. To quantify that, I am using a Core i7 laptop with 8GB of memory so some systems may experience a slight slow down.

Now some of you may wonder why bother running a backup utility? Well if you have ever been in the position where your hard drive failed, became infected with a virus or just had a bad day and messed with all your files you will definitely understand. My advice, don't wait for it to happen to you. If you do you will go through several stages of emotions, disbelief, panic, anger, rage, at this point the tears will come, then resignation to your fate and the fate of your data. It is not a nice feeling.

So while waiting for backup to finish I'll go through some of the other points worth mentioning.

You can back up the whole drive or individual files and folders/incremental backups.
No interruptions while backing up your data/schedule your backups.
Restore your data on different hardware and restore the operating system.
If your system fails to boot the rescue disc will give you access.
Migrate files to another computer.
It will boot in Linux, Windows, Win PE and DOS.
Selective recovery rather than having to do a full recovery.
Password protect your files.

So the backup has finally finished, now to restore a few files to see if it is really that easy.

The proof they say is in the pudding and I can confirm that this product works and works well. I have just recovered a number of files without any problems.
It is a powerful product made simple. Where I had problems with another utility, especially during the installation procedure I had no problems here. Then there is the price, it is value for money.

What sells this to me is the ease in which it works and that is the most important part of a backup utility. Finally, when you have backed up all your data, check that you can recover it before you are in the position to have to recover it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful backup utility, 21 Feb 2012
C. Maddocks (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 (Home), 1 PC (PC) (CD-ROM)
I've been using this for a few weeks now and I've found it to be a very useful piece of software. I'm not really a novice user so I can see how the interface could be a bit daunting at first but it can be used in 'Express Mode' which simplifies all of the major options into Wizards and should allow anyone to easily create backups. You can also run in Advanced mode if you really want full control or to fine-tune the default settings.

I've used this to create a complete backup of my main program drive (C:\) in case of disc failure as well as using the Smart Backup feature to back up my media files (photos, music and videos) and a few other important folders to an external USB drive. I scheduled this to happen every night, I also tested the restore feature just to be safe and all my media and files were restored which gave me piece of mind.

Creating the main backup image wasn't a fast process but I have found this with all backup programs I have tried in the past. I just left it running overnight and it was complete in the morning.

Overall, I would recommend this particularly at this price compared to other similar programs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep it simple!, 22 Mar 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Looking at other reviews on this product I wasn't encouraged, but, ended up being pleasantly surprised. Firstly, the design of the main interface is far too complex/clumsy for the average person (I certainly include myself in this category). The moment you start fiddling with settings etc. if you don't get it 100% right then the package won't work - to me, this does say some negative things about the design of the software - it isn't naturally user friendly. However, I took the advice of one (more positive) reviewer and used it in Express Mode - it set up my PC (Windows 7 (64 bit)) to back up to my 2TB Iomega USB hard drive very effectively.

To me much of the time and effort that has been put into enabling the software to be bespoked for the average user is wasted. If you look at the product from its ability to be rapidly configured in Express Mode, then, it is a far more intelligent piece of software, and, comes closer to delivering its aim. Judged on this latter aspect it is certainly fit for purpose. My advice to most users when using this product is to keep it simple and use it in Express Mode then you'll be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product worth every penny., 22 Mar 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The product has some quite advanced features, including options to backup a complete system, or selected parts of it such as your music or movie collections. The software is provided on a CD that can also be used as a Recovery Disk in the event that your system is not currently bootable, and allows access the restoration of the last successful backup created on the hard -drive as the CD will seek and boot this up. A very comprehensive 180-page PDF file on the disk is provided instead of a paper manual. I would recommend this product at this price compared to other similar programs, you really can't go wrong with this software.

5.0 out of 5 stars A backup solution from a trusted name, 17 Mar 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Paragon is one of a group of German software companies - Nero, Roxio and Raxco are others - with a history over many years of involvement in some of the more technical aspects of computing. In Paragon's case it has broadly involved itself with hard drive management, filling some of the technical areas that Windows either did not do at all or did, but the tools were buried and largely unfamiliar. These included partition creation and management, partition and data recovery, hard drive imaging (but not routine backup), and more and most were intended either for the professional service industry or system administrators. Some were later made available for the more advanced general user, but they could be dangerous in the hands of the less technically minded. Consequently, Paragon's name may not be as widely known as some others.

The Backup and Recovery software has now reached version 11 but I believe that most of the lower-numbered versions were not standalones but part of one or other of their mainstream products.

The product has some quite advanced features, including options to backup a complete system, or selected parts of it such as your music or movie collections. It also has the ability to backup files that are currently in use, something not always possible with similar products, and also has Adaptive Backup, a useful facility should you upgrade your PC at some future date and take fright at the thought of reinstalling every single piece of software you use plus all the associated data, a process that might take several hours at least or several days, as I have had happen more than once in the past. It will also fully support FAT, FAT32 and NTFS file systems, the latter most common in more recent versions of Windows and also EXT2, 3 and 4, mostly used by Linux and UNIX systems. It unusually also provides limited access to Apple's HTFS-formatted drives, but with several stated restrictions. This makes it a program potentially usable by almost every computer user.

The software is provided on a CD that can also be used as a Recovery Disk in the event that your system is not currently bootable for some reason, and allows the restoration of the last successful backup created. For obvious reasons, successful backup demands that you do not have your backups on the same drive as your system, so you will need another quite separate drive (not a spare partition on your main drive), whether internal or not. The program will support external hard drives, whether USB, eSATA, or Firewire. However it will not support most RAID enclosures, NAS, DAS and similar as will other more advanced solutions, but they are not devices currently in common use. Recovery, when needed to be independent of the installed OS, is available from 3 different boot systems provided on the CD, DOS, Linux and WindowsPE, the latter a limited version of Windows widely used for this type of situation. All offer more or less identical features, but the presentation will be quite different.

No documentation is provided, other than a very comprehensive 180-page PDF file on the disk, which helps keep the price low; a printed manual might well create a selling price 2 or 3 times that at which it is currently offered. You may wish to print it out and read those parts that you are likely to use most often, reserving the remainder until needed. Installation requires entry of a CD key and a product serial number when asked and both are provided on a label stuck to the inside of the case, which I suggest be retained should it be needed again in the future.

One earlier reviewer had commented negatively on the manual, claiming it to be more or less incomprehensible. However having used several of Paragon's products in the past, some of which were less familiar than others, I have had to read their manuals and I have never been able to fault Paragon either on poor use of language, dubious translation or anything else. Having glanced over several portions of this software's manual, I would say that it is essentially no different in quality to any other of theirs. In fact, I would add that many could take a valuable lesson or two from Paragon in this respect.

When first used, the CD offers several options from a menu including Install, Run from CD, Register etc, including others that broadly fall into the Support and Information areas. Installation was itself fairly painless, despite my system not automatically allowing the Autorun to do its thing. Should yours be similar, you only need browse through the Autorun directory and double-click on either SHSTART or EXPLAUNCHER to access the menu.

Although the program does not have all the facilities of a more advanced alternative, it is available at a much lower price. However, I feel that its feature set is more than sufficient for most users, some of which may be more than is ever needed. Consequently, it offers good value for money, a very comprehensive manual (if only on disk) and Paragon's Support Desk should it ever be needed in the event that the other options fail. The program is distributed by Avanquest in the UK, and you also have the benefit of their support which, in the unlikely event, should come second after the manual.

A good all-round backup solution and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful product, 25 April 2012
Romayne Wright "Ha Tikvah" (N. Ireland U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a couple of other similar type products recently so had something at least to compare this Paragon offering to. In some ways it was better but for me at least, sadly in more ways it failed to meet my expectations.

As others have commented, it's not the most user friendly at times despite the high volume of wizards to help you through all the tasks. I set up a scheduled backup which was easy enough and worked quite well - the problem came when I wanted to stop the schedule - could I find it? I must have worked through every screen possible and still haven't yet managed to locate it, so it's proving simpler to just let the backups continue & delete a few every week or so to prevent my drive becoming full.

I have to say though that I found the Help section actually quite comprehensive & well written - so I'm unsure why others felt it wasn't. There's a ton of information in it about every single aspect of the program and fairly good descriptors of what each option does. But I would accept that some options are fairly complex ones requiring a modicum of understanding of what they are attempting to do. For e.g.: "Synthetic backup to change any property (merge a given differential image with its full image, split/un-split, compress/de-compress, etc.) of an existing backup image without carrying out a physical backup operation."

But in general, it's as good an offering as most others on the market let down perhaps only in its complexity in parts, making it hard to locate some things, yet it's hard to really hold that against it. It does a fairly good job of appealing to both novice & advanced users through the different menus provided, which isn't always done on many other similar products. So it really depends on what you're looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, could be better, 7 April 2012
Mo "mo79uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used the free version of this software for several years (which is surprisingly adequate for most needs) I was intrigued to give this a go. Despite having a cover that looks like it was created on a home DTP package, the software is good but I feel it's a slight step back for me and in some ways offer things I don't need, though the price is right.

I don't understand how people find it hard to use as the wizard driven interface is on by default and will very easily lead you to your first backup. And when you're daring, the advanced mode is hardly more complex as it just presents a few more options. However, v10 Free edition didn't require me to restart my computer to create a backup, this does...I find this a nuisance.

Other things like FTP backup are useful if you want a huge array of backup options, but I don't find it overall better than their free offering. High marks though for being priced cheaply.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, 19 April 2012
Mr. M. Regan "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simple to use customisable and easy backup for your files and folders, I have to say that this is fairly easy to set up and use, offers a variety of options for saving your precious files, photos, videos and operates well. It looses a star from me because I have seen comparable products cheaper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complicated Product, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 (Home), 1 PC (PC) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this product with the hope that I could do a full backup (image) of my disk. The help files are badly written in English (obviously by someone who does not speak it) and there is no clear explanation on how to do a simple thing like what I wanted to do. I ultimately tried to do a full backup on to an external hard drive and towards the end it came up with an error indicating that it could not read something on the C drive !! So, the whole backup failed after around 2 hours of work ! This product looks like an amateurs development and I have returned the product back to Amazon. Acronis may be expensive but at least it does what it says on the tin !

4.0 out of 5 stars Data security at a reasonable price, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 (Home), 1 PC (PC) (CD-ROM)
Easy to set up covers every eventuality that a home user should come across. The only thing that I would like to have seen is some way of limiting the disc use so that older backups are automatically removed.

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)

Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 (Home), 1 PC (PC)
Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 (Home), 1 PC (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
23.17