VINE VOICEon 4 March 2012
Violet Winterbottom is getting over heartbreak at Spindle Cove - a retreat/refuge for women tucked away from the prying eyes of the Ton. She's quiet, sweet and intelligent - hardly the type to have men falling at her feet.

Until one night during the Spindle Cove Christmas ball when a dashing stranger does just that. He's dirty, soaked, bleeding and speaking in a language only Violet understands. A sensible girl would stay well clear. But Violet's not as delicate as she looks and has just one night to find out his secrets that might lead her to the love, and adventure, of a lifetime.

This novella is a short story that is part of Dare's Spindle Cove series. This story follows A Night to Surrender and comes before A Week to Be Wicked. I've not read either and found that this story was an intriguing insight into the series and didn't need to be read in order to be understood.

The characters in this story were great. Violet was a quiet girl but didn't fall into the cliche of being shy with it. She was feisty, honest and bold - I really liked her. Equally, the hero was everything I like in a leading man - brooding, mysterious and willing to sacrifice anything for the woman he loves. The pair had great chemistry and I really liked them as a couple.

This is an implausible, fun and feisty romp with characters I really enjoyed and an almost farcical, fast-paced storyline that was a delight from start to finish. It will only take you a little while to read, but the price is right and the story is a great way to spend an hour or so. If you're a fan of Tessa Dare or just looking for a light and frothy tale to take your mind off things for a while then I would recommend this to you. 5 stars.
on 21 July 2012
This book is like a soothing balm - I picked it up after an incredibly stressful day at work and settled down with a coffee to try and shake off the grumps. A couple of hours later I'd read the whole book and had a smile back on my face!
The story was a little confusing at first because I was totally convinced that Violet wouldnt have recognised her former lover after a year, even if he was now sporting a twice-broken nose and had bulked up. But I trust Ms Dare to deliver a good plot and so suspended disbelief and kept reading. I wasnt disappointed. This isnt Ms Dare's best book by far, but it's still worthy of 4 stars for achieving the near impossible and making me feel human again.
on 12 August 2013
The heroine in this novel refers to the male lead as 'The 'Disappointment' and it just covers how I feel about this novel it was a disappointment from start to finish. How could someone not recognize the love of ones life, the person they has adored from childhood, straight away. On my reading it took her an hour or more to figure out who he was despite the fact she touched him, looked in his eyes, heard him speak and held his head in her lap and he had been away for only a year. The story line then jumps to how devoted she has been to him; hmmmm wouldn't do if his face had been disfigured instead of just a broken nose she might then have been quite willing to let him be hung as a spy. This is the first I have read by this author and it will be the last, it was, dare I say it again, a disappointment!
on 9 January 2013
Another good read from Tessa Dare. Really connected with the characters. I adore how the story doesn't take long to going, I was enraptured!
on 23 January 2014
I have enjoyed the story line of this author's books, they were hard to put down and would not hesitate to read more and recommend her novels and if you like these sort of story lines like I do then it's the book for you. I will be more than happy to read more of this authors works
on 9 September 2015
This is a novella and I generally find them disappointing, hence the four stars. There's just not enough depth of character or plot development for me. This one fleshes out the general story of Spindle Cove a bit more and the main characters are pleasant enough.
on 5 March 2014
The book is pleasant enough but nothing amazing. Also, the basic premise that defines the plot is so unlikely as to be unbelievable. Not Tessa Dare's best by any means.
on 10 September 2012
Good for filling in evening / journey / holiday when you just want something to read that will entertain without taxing the brain.
on 4 July 2013
It was certainly different from what i expected. A true romance, enjoyed but not sure if I will read the rest of the series.
on 13 July 2014
I enjoyed this more than the first Spindle Cove book. Fast paced and a bit rushed towards the end, but fine and good fun.