4.0 out of 5 stars Useful crossword aid
Bought this crossword dictionary plus the Bradford Crossword Solvers Lists for my husband for Christmas. My 70-year old husband is a technophobe but enjoys doing his daily crossword. His dictionary and thesaurus were so well thumbed the covers and some of the pages were falling apart. Every Sunday he attempts a more complex crossword in a well-known newspaper and,...
Published on 17 Jan 2011 by Badger

3.0 out of 5 stars Collins Bradfords crossword solvers dictionary
On the whole very good but it has a lot missing, i.e.naming countries and their capitals (capitals are shown but not to which country they relate) various anniversaries, authors, playwrights etc. various gods and religions, Greek and Roman alphabets and numbers also not shown. Personally although this book is helpful I do not find it anywhere as good as the 30 year old...
Published on 17 Jun 2010 by margaret

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars scrabbleaddict, 16 Sep 2012
Book is excellent. I have used the older version until it was falling apart! Time for the most up to date version. It arrived on time and I have used it many times already, Invaluable for my crosswords and scrabble too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great update on the last dictionary, 13 Nov 2011
Although the type in the book is smaller - there is so much more information - so very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Crossword Addicts!, 8 Jan 2011
Great reference book for crossword addicts, Easy to use, has many listings and helpful hints as how to work out cryptic clues, would recommend to dedicated crosswordians or novices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a crossword solver but is also, 9 Jan 2014
Bradford's CSD was a present to help my wife with some crossword posers but has also proved a hit with a Year 6 Granddaughter as an source of new words to try out and use
For crossword solvers the lists are very useful as you get only what you require - alternative words. A surprisingly useful feature are the lists e.g. under Snakes 80+ are named, similarly for Hormones and many other items

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb crossword aid, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Kindle Edition)
I don't know why I have never found this publication before. In over 50 years of being a crossword addict I have bought all the main dictionaries and thesauri but I have never seen this publication on the bookshelves. Already it has helped me several times to find words and make connections that I would have spent ages looking for elsewhere and I have won the Enigmatic Variations competition for the first time because of a word I found in it. I bought the Kindle version immediately but, being a traditionalist, I am getting the printed version as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I expected, 30 July 2013
Not that easy to navigate have not find one solution yet! I prefer a crossword solver off the Internet much more helpful than this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crossword solver's dictionary, 13 Jan 2013
I was rather disappointed with this book as there seems to be no depth in the explanations. I found it almost amateurish and not terribly useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 5 Oct 2012
While this publication has an extensive vocabulary, I am still inclined to use my Collins as first resort.
It would be helpful if the listings were first by number of letters and then alphabetical within that range. I realise this would mean more work but I personally think it would be more helpful to users.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Chambers!, 8 Feb 2012
M. C. Ramsay (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
The layout is disappointing, showing lists in alphabetical order regardless of word length. My old Chambers (which after years of use fell apart) was much easier to use with all words grouped by length.

Worse, Bradford also combines in single lists words associated with related roots.

Not as user-friendly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect IF it was made clear this is part 1 of 2, 13 May 2011
Mr. Brian R. Dougal (Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent crossword dictionary and as others have stated, looking for a clue often leaves one just browsing amongst all the interesting words and conjoinings.

HOWEVER for serious use you MUST also purchase Bradfords Crossword Solvers Lists.
Comments here stating there are "bits missing" are precisely the bits in the "Lists" book. Irritatingly they are produced in different sizes!

Collins would, in my opinion, be better off publishing them as a matching pair.
Both would then be 5* books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›