Up All Night
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£6.39

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 October 2012
I succumbed to the purchase of this CD after much heart-felt pleading from my ten year old daughter, who faithfully promised that she would pay me back out of her pocket money; anything, anything to have this album. Meanwhile my heart was sinking with the vision of future car journeys accompanied by another run-of-the-mill boy-band producing frothy anodyne pop; musical wallpaper which would quickly drive us mad.

We got in the car. The CD was excitedly anticipated by some, but dreaded by others.

Oh yes, I sort of recognise the first track, must have heard it before, it's ok actually...Hmm, the second track begins in quite an interesting way...And so on. The 4th track's my favourite and I look forward to it every time, but then I like track 3 too. And 7, and of course track 1 is great.

I feel I know the boys now and I like them. I even know their names. I've started reading news articles about them.

My elder daughter has gone from deriding her sister's favourite as "rubbish" to downloading the album onto her phone so she can listen more often.

In short it's a hit, an unexpected and wonderful hit with all the family. It's feel-good music, full of hooks and with shifts of harmony which engage even the most resistant of listeners. The lyrics are teenage, yes, but heck we were all teenagers once.

And secretly I now look forward to car journeys. Though I can't let on.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 January 2012
I doubt anyone would have bought this album expecting some kind of musical masterpiece, so it makes me laugh to see really poor reviews from, quite frankly, people who obviously like to moan for the sake of it! One Direction are a young boyband, no one's denying the fact that it's all manufactured and light-hearted, and the album reflects that. Nope, the songs aren't bringing anything new to the world, nor is there really any sense of originality, but come on...is that the point of this band? Their target audience is predominantly teenage girls! That in mind, I wouldn't say it's a bad first effort at all. The songs are very catchy and mostly upbeat- you can tell the boys had fun making the record and that in turn puts a smile on your face. I guess you would say the whole 'cuteness' of them makes it even more likeable- after all, these songs aren't any worse than most other offerings in today's charts. A few tracks sound suspiciously similar to songs by other artists ('One Thing' is very like 'I Want It That Way' by Backstreet Boys, for instance), but I doubt anyone is going to be overly concerned about that! The main thing is you listen to the record and you can sing along and it makes you crack a smile. It's a bit early at this stage to say how far their success will go, but judging by their current popularity, I'd say they'll be around for at least the imminent future! All things considered, a strong, enjoyable debut album which ticks the right boxes with One Direction fans and I dare say a few other people too!
on 23 March 2012
I really would reccomend this album to anyone who is a fan of POP music. One Direction are well known for finsihing 3rd on the reality TV series the X Factor and had a hit number one single 'What Makes you Beautiful'. The album contains some enjoyable love songs and call party anthems for all ages. The album is highly reccomended and is better than expected. If your thinking of buying a few songs then get these:
WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL
GOTTA BE YOU
ONE THING
UP ALL NIGHT
STOLE MY HEART
5 of the best songs on the album, BUY IT!!
on 18 January 2012
First, I'm french and I'm really happy that Amazon can ship to my country. I did not wait too long and that's great.

About the album:
This album was worth the waiting! I like the fact that they do a lot of different kind of music! Each song has a little thing. I love all the songs except Stole My Heart, this song doesnt fit to them, but whatever, the rest of the album is amazing.
The yearbook is good too! The one thing I regret is that there are not the lyrics sheet of each song.
x
on 28 September 2012
Though they've got a lot of competition in the UK, One Direction have released the best boyband album of the year by a mile. Not only that, but it's one of the best pop albums of 2011 as well. It's that rare case of a record where every track could be a single. Couple that with the guys' insane popularity and I think we've got a new Take That on our hands. Or at the very least, a new Mcfly.

1. What Makes You Beautiful - Their big, breakthrough single. This is the type of unabashed power pop that manages to cross audiences and appeal to everyone. It's everything these guys should be doing, and one of the year's best singles. 10/10

2. Gotta Be You - This, on the other hand, should never have been a single. It's a nice song and a great album track, but there are stronger ballads on here. It does have a very Christmassy sound, though. 9/10

3. One Thing - Basically What Makes You Beautiful Part II, which explains why it's the next single. Same writers, similar production, and nearly as catchy. This could end up being the band's defining sound. 10/10

4. More Than This - Probably the best ballad on here. It's got a mature, classic sound to it and a wonderful melody with the expected boyband lyrics. Niall sounds especially excellent here. If this isn't a future single, it's a real shame. 10/10

5. Up All Night - An uptempo, catchy track with more of a rock sound. It borders on the novelty side of things, but I really love the Def Leppard-esque refrain at the end of the chorus and all the little hooks that run through the track. As with most tracks on the album, it's a ready-made single. 9/10

6. I Wish - Melody is the focus here, as this is one of the more mature sounding tracks on the album. It's got a throwback sound--a little rock, a little country. It doesn't initially stand out, but becomes better each time you hear it. 10/10

7. Tell Me A Lie - This is such a ready-made hit. Written for (by?) Kelly Clarkson, it sounds a lot like My Life Would Suck Without You (which, ironically, the boys sang on X-Factor). If they really want to break America, this is the song to release. It's one of their absolute best. 10/10

8. Taken - Another ballad, this is a Harry-centric track. It reminds me of something that Hanson would record, and that is no bad thing. It has a very organic feel. 9/10

9. I Want - Probably my least favorite track on the album. It was written by Mcfly and has Queen-esque guitars in it, which should be a great thing. But the melody and lyrics just seem too obvious. Not bad by any standards, but not amazing either. 7/10

10. Everything About You - Ushering in the dancier part of the album, this is a propulsive, repetitive radio track. Maybe a tad too repetitive, but I guess that's sort of the point. It's instantly catchy, for sure. 8/10

11. Same Mistakes - The final ballad, and it's a great one. The melody really appeals to me. It's got an interesting sound that somehow feels a lot more indie than the other tracks on the album. 10/10

12. Save You Tonight - The band's RedOne collaboration, and it's totally RedOne by numbers. That being said, the song's grown immensely on me. The chorus is still a bit underwhelming, but I love the bridge and verses. 8/10

13. Stole My Heart - What a way to end the album! Over a Dynamite-esque beat, the guys have taken the current trend of electro-dance and perfected it. The chorus and production are ridiculous. This needs to be a single! 10/10

(second hand review) (not mine)
on 27 December 2011
It's easy to be cynical about another bunch of X Factor non-winners chucking an album out in time for Christmas, but in One Direction's case you would be wrong. Up All Night is one of the best shimmering all-out pop albums in many a year. The first single, What Makes You Beautiful is a fantastic Summer single. In fact, it's so good it's still in the charts now at the end of December. Starting out with a Summer Nights intro, the song is punchy and as hooky as hell. It's a tough act to follow.

Indeed, the second single, Gotta Be You, is perhaps one of the oddest choices as a follow-up. It's not terrible, but is a bit of a drone, though it has done pretty well in the charts. There are at least 6 or 7 songs here that, to my ears, would make stronger singles.

I got the 'Yearbook' edition of UAN which feature 2 bonus tracks, the upbeat Stand Up and the Ed Sheenan co-write, Moments, both of which are worthy inclusions. At 15 tracks, Up All Night should really outstay it's welcome, but the songs are so sunny and catchy you can't help but smile and sing along!

As I write, the album has spent it's chart life in the Top 10. It's no wonder.If you want a classic pure pop album that will brighten your lady, look no further than Up All Night. It's a belter.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 March 2012
This is such an amazing album!!
My favourite songs are:
I Want
Taken
Tell Me A Lie
Same Mistakes
*Stand Up
*Moments
I like I Want because it has a nice tune and guitar solo in it and it's also very catchy.
Taken is a nice slow song and has a good theme to it and I like Zayn's solo it's quite emotive and I like it.
Tell Me A Lie is a quite up tempo song and is really catchy and the lyrics you can relate to them.
Same Mistakes is a nice slow ballad about how you try again in a realtionship but you're making all the same wrong decisions and mistakes.
Stand Up is a bonus track of the Limited Yearbook Edition and is very catchy and up tempo.
Moments is another bonus track of the Limited Yearbook Edition and is a very slow sad and meaningful song written by Ed Sheeran and the theme to it is that a girl is dying and the guy wants to commit suicide because he can't live his life without his girl. This song has brought me to tears many times and remains as one of my favourites :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a 25 year old lad I feel like I'm out of the "target audience" for One Direction. But I just can't help but really love the music. It's very catchy and I really do enjoy singing along to it.

I also enjoy buying my music direct from Amazon as you get the CD. Plus the MP3 album too right away. Thanks Amazon :)
on 22 November 2011
My daughter was lucky enough to get a signed copy of this from the boys..its a great little book to go with the CD. Features lots of fan pictures inside,,,,see if you can spot yourself..my daughter got a big picture of herself in there and is well chuffed.One Direction seem to really care about their fans, which makes us happy mums.We are secretly in love with them all as well...!!!! Great book and great CD from a bunch of lovely lads!! (if only i were 20 years younger!!) xx
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 December 2011
I have had this album since the day it came out and to be honest first time i heard i immediately fell in love with it straight away couldnt say any fault about it apart from some songs do sound a little similar to other artists however a lot of songs sound similar these days. I could listen to their album over and over again and I DO!! I truley love one direction they are amazingly talented and hot lads and i am so excited to see them on tour. There music speaks out about a lot of things and what people can relate to and this is why i love the album. I love reading the yearbook as well something a little bit extra special. I would definitly recommend this cd for those who like their type of music or just even like ONE DIRECTION so buy it!!!!!!! Favourite songs have got to be moments and up all night :D <3