5.0 out of 5 stars Make a big statement, 2 May 2012
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Epson TW6000 3D 1080p Full HD Home Cinema Projector (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I anxiously waited all day for the postman to bring my Epsom TW6000 projector; when he arrived he was carrying what I think is the largest box amazon ship. Inside another well packaged box was the projector I had been waiting for all day; a projector 50% thicker than the original PS3 and about a similar size all finished with a polished piano black effect plastic; which looks really good. The design is a large rounded rectangle, the lamp output is in centre which makes much simpler to setup compared to offset designs and the vents that keep the bulb cool are on either side it. The lamp is protected with an easy to replace air filter that ensures airflow is steady. This design means you may want to put the projector in front of you to keep away from the warmer air it outputs - but in the cold days of the end of April and early May 2012 it didn't make a noticeable difference. Throughout my use of the projector (even after a long 5 hours run) the fans were never audible over the sound of the movies which is a good sign. I tested the TW6000 from my projector come coffee table and thanks to some very easy to adjust feet setup and balancing the proctor was simeple. I did have to move it closer to the wall though as the 6000 series projectors have a great throw ratio which means you can get an almost 100" screen at about 50" from the wall so if you have a smaller room or want to throw a picture from the narrower side you can still get that cinematic experience.

After the 3 LCD screens used to make up the picture; the Bulb is the most important part of the projector; the one epson have used very bright rated 2200 lumens which backed up an active IRIS system results in a bright picture with excellent contrast - its not bright enough to run in daylight but neither does it need a fully blacked out room. A major factor when running a projector is the cost of the bulbs which eventually burn out; the epson bulb has an amazing life of up to 5000 hours when run in lower brightness Eco mode - a setting change that should be a must for most users as it delivers an only marginally weaker picture but saves power and makes the bulbs last considerably longer. I ran the projector onto my contrast enhancing screen as well as onto a white wall and with the lights you really don't need a screen to make it deliver a picture few would find any fault with. This might be good if you want to get the projector out occasionally for the big match or take it round to a friends house for the night.

The supplied remote is quite chunky as the buttons are made big so you can press them easily; the buttons are all backlit at a touch of a button - it can't control other devices as its not a multi device remote though so you may want to invest in a universal remote to save on buttons everywhere.

The biggest step up from my older projector is the 3d; To get this output I connected it up to my Playstation 3 - doing this was nice and simple plug the hdmi cable into HDMI1 and off you go. Besides HDMI 1 you find another (2d only HDMI socket); one component, one composite and VGA in/out as well as some device specific ports (pictures of the inputs have been uploaded.) THe brief manual explains what they are for and the included CD gives a lot more detail still. Either side of the sockets are two speakers which can output sound but are hardly cinematic.

The crux of the device is in the entertainment factor - a 42" TV is big and gives you a great experience - but stepping up to 100" takes you from the living room to a small intimate cinema. I tried watching a slew of fairly recently released films from iTunes, DVDs and BLU Ray on the TW6000. Watching DVD;s was a disappointment - they picture looks ok but upscaling a low quality picture to such a big screen is always a challenge. New 1080p iTunes content looked almost as good as DVD"s; non HD iTunes content is likely something to miss as it looks terrible on the big screen. When you step up to the current rolls royce of home media - Bluray you get the very best. I first tried out the projector watching Johnny Depp in 2d with The Rum Diary which has spectacular air footage of Puerto Rico where the colours of the trees and the blues/greens of the ocean looked spectacular tried and there was no obvious ghosting even during the higher sped aerial shots. Switching into 3d I tried a number of films from Martin Scorsee's children's epic Hugo which was filmed by the master using 3d camera's throughout and it looks wonderful. The last film I watched was the recent remake of The Three Musketeers which made aerial battles over renaissance europe fill my room. The result of all my watching was as you might expect the better the quality picture you throw at it the better the result; I really wouldn't choose to watch a DVD or SD iTunes content on it.

One continuing issue with justifying buying a 3d device is that they still aren't releasing a large number of 3d films they are coming out as a slow trickle - and the one everyone will want to watch Avatar still isn't available on 3d. I have a fair collection built up over the last year - but still watch far more 2d content than 3d content. You can rest assured that epson are delivering a first rate 2d picture when a HD quality input is used.

When you do start to look at the 3d its worth noting that there are two kinds of 3d glasses active ones that have high speed flickering in the left and right eyes and passive ones like you find at most cinemas; active lets you have full resolution higher quality 1080p 3d images but passive doesn't reducing the quality to get two smaller images onscreen at once. I have an Active 3d LG TV which suffers from a dirty little Active 3d secret; every now and then you notice a little sparkle of colour where the screen didn't keep up with the glasses or you notice a slight flicker if you are at an odd angle (or even turn your head) - both of which make watching a 3d film on it that little bit of a pain. That was never the case with the epson 6000 projector - i watched 3d films for 5 hours straight and didn't get fatigued or a headache and never once noticed any glitches or flickering. I do have some small complaints - I wish the glasses were rechargeable like the LG and they are a bit tight on my head but mostly because I think Epson have made a mistake as they only include a single pair of glasses in the box - they have done this to keep the cost of the projector down - but as the glasses resell on the wrong side of fifty pounds having but a single friend will make for expensive movie night when avatar finally does come out (or you want to watch 3d football on Sky) - because the 3d really is excellent you really are going to want to share the experience and that means splashing out on some extra set(s)

If you are looking at getting this projector there is a slightly more expensive model - Epson EH TW 6000 W that includes a wireless cable kit that you may want to look at if you are thinking about mounting the projector on the ceiling or don't want to run wires under your carpet. It doesn't affect the picture quality or bring anything else to the party but may make your other half happier.

Thanks to the long life cheap bulbs the Epson TW6000 is cheap to run and offers an amazing 2d and 3d picture quality on white walls or projector screens for a very reasonable outlay.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-maz-ing, 8 July 2012
This projector has exceeded all expectations- fantastic picture, with great contrast and brightness. Blacks not as good as plasma, but this is a given, and compared to the mindblowing experience of watching a movie on a 90 inch screen, it's a compromise I'm more than willing to make.

If you buy the projector up to the end of july, Epson are giving away 2 extra free pairs of 3D glasses (worth 55 each).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - mind blowing, 5 Jun 2013
J. Murphy - See all my reviews
Everything works just great - 3D is stunning (better than passive movie theatre in my opinion. 2D is super sharp. i didnt think i would see much difference between this and my older panasonic PT200 at 720p but the image is brighter and sharper - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product at agreat price, 16 Sep 2012
Bob K "Bob" (Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this as an upgrade from my ageing 720p/1080I DLP projector (which was fine with DVD's but did no justice to Blu-ray or even Freesat HD).

What a tremendous improvement this projector is. The 3 LCD system produces much brighter, more colourful & detailed 1080P images.
Even in eco mode you don't need a lights out room, though I personally prefer it. Plus eco gives you a claimed 5000 hrs lamp life.

I have it rear ceiling mounted, HDMI Cable is 10m, projecting a 120" image to a matt white screen. It also works fine on matt white emulsion walls though you will see how good the plasterer was.
There is a very small amount of fan noise as was expected but far from obtrusive. You can occasionally hear the auto iris operation.

Having previously been very unimpressed with 3D on TV I did not buy this for its 3D capability.
However watching the BBC freesat HD London Olympic opening and closing ceremonies on a big screen in 3D was most impressive.
Even more so with the better produced blu-rays I have since watched. My local video hire store has quite a number, many Blu-rays now come with both 2 & 3D on the disc. The director's use of the effect varies tremendously, some excellent some very poor.
Waiting for the Avatar 3D release now.

One pair of glasses supplied in the box and fortunately I bought at the time they were offering 2 more for free. - (check the Epson site in case they repeat it)

Overall for the price this is a fantastic product and gets full marks from me.

Pro's
Fantastic picture quality even at large sizes.
Brilliant colour reproduction.
Bright even in daylight
Very easy to set up and use.
Price (you could pay 3 times this for the same functionality).

Con's
None so far for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 13 Dec 2012
I have my PS3 and Wii hooked up to this. I use a projector screen for the Wii and project on the wall for the PS3 - even though the wall is painted in turquoise! Still looks great. I still haven't got used to watching a 9 foot wide movie in my cinema room...

What's even better is that my PS3 is networked so I can watch iPlayer and my own home 1080p videos and photos in 9 feet... Seriously incredible.