Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 17 October 2012
I first read this book many years ago and was blown away by it. Never in any of my various Martial Arts classes over the years, had we dealt with adrenaline, fear, or real life violent situations. It's okay to look flash in the Dojo, where your sensei is watching over you like a School yard teacher, You have the comfort zone of, " it's not real " I have known people over the years freezing in situations and then getting demolished because of it. This book addresses that. It will help you understand the fear and get inside your attackers head.Not long after reading the Fence for the first time I was lost, Parked up and wandering around looking for a company, in completely the wrong area. I was switched on and noticed a Guy over the road slow down then quickly cross and approach me fast from the back, " probably thinking, easy mugging target here." I turned round quickly, stopping him in his tracks. He adopted the distraction tactic of asking me for the time, so he could close the gap. Instead I turned the tables, without looking at my watch I said no sorry and simultaneously stepped forward pushed my left hand out, while gently cocking my right for a right cross and asked him do do know where I can find this place.The guy new the script, turned and bolted. The Fence should be part of every ones book collection. It might just help you someday.
on 10 February 2000
I have rated this book 5 stars on the material that it covers, ie the fence. The material which is direct and to the point could be a life saver some day. Don't expect a full self defense guide however. You will have to get some of Geoffs other books to get the full picture.
on 23 June 2007
Geoff Thompson should be in every martial artist vocabulary, along with Bob Breen, Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell. He is grounded in his no-nonses style of giving the truth to those who take the time to read one of his books. After reading this I found it very helpful in all aspects of life not just martial arts practice, in my work and socail life. The Fence is a useful tool that easily placate a situation as it is non threatening and makes you ready for any type of confrontation. The only bug bare I have with this book is the acecdotes could have done without them but I suppose they were to highlight a point, but they came across as a bloke bragging really. only four stars from me as could have done with a little more
on 9 June 2015
A very helpful book. Needs a good edit as it is all over the place, but if you can get past that, the principles and fundamental technique are second to none. I actually preferred it to the video.

If you are a few years into your training, I would recommend reading one of Geoff's other books; Watch My Back. Not only does this put Geoff's development of the fence into context, it also provides a great reality check on the world of violence and why you stay as far away from it as possible!
on 4 November 2013
The best self protection book you can buy. Mr Thompson is the real deal and in my opinion the best teacher in the World. He has been working out in the real World and knows the best way to handle real violence. Thank you Mr Thompson.
on 10 August 2013
I think people of all martial arts should read this book to understand how best to translate traditional boxing/ martial arts to real street situations. Not many people are able to do this as well as the author.
on 28 April 2016
Really enjoy Geoff's work, have done for years.
on 23 May 2013
It's short and direct, but that's what I liked. Covers some critical points on self-defence in an easy to understand and informative way. This book is useful for anyone who practices a martial art or combat sport and wants to adapt their skills for self-defence.