Size: 10 UK|Colour: multi-coloured - Mehrfarbig (PALM LEAF J39031)|Change

on 8 May 2012
Bought these as a Christmas present that my husband knew all about. He wanted some minimalist shoes for running off-road and these fitted the bill. First off I must say that although we had ordered size 45, the pair that arrived were 44's, and they fitted perfectly so no problem, lucky really!
The shoes have now done about 170 off-road miles and my husband has only two gripes: 1) There isn't really enough grip for true off-road running especially in wet, boggy Scotland and 2) the upper isn't protected close to the sole around the sides of the foot and heather and bracken take their toll on the soft mesh like material.
On the positive side they are supremely comfortable, nice wide toe box, they fit like...well, like a glove and apparently don't come off even when shin-deep in bog! He reckons they would be alright for road-running, but not great. The other plus, is apparently the amount of feedback that he gets through the sole of these shoes plus they're grippy on rock, grass and good trails and tracks, i.e. forestry trails and tracks etc. Oh, they drain really well when running through rivers...apparently!

Not for fell or hill running but great for proper tracks and trails.
on 2 November 2012
I am a big fan of the Merrell Trail Glove. I own the New Balance Minimus, Vibram Five Fingers Sport and these. I tend to run barefoot 50% of the time and alternate between the Vibram's and Merrell's for the rest. Although the Minimus is a great shoe, it does have a more padded sole and the 4mm heel raise is noticeable, they just don't provide the same amount of sensory feedback.

As winter starts to close its icy grip I imagine I will be running more and more shod, and I suspect most of these runs will be done in the Merrell's. Over the last few months I have run more and more in the Merrell's. The zero heel raise, thin sole and huge toes box have been put together brilliantly. I notice very little difference between these then the five fingers. But they are considerably more comfortable. The interior of the shoe is wonderful and the more you run the more comfortable you feel in them. As with all minimal foot ware I would not run in these full time because being barefoot ensures I keep my form and allow me to run well when I put shoes on. The Merrell's are great for the longer runs or when I just don't feel like being barefoot. They excel on the rough stuff, are super grippy and really allow you to go where sometimes you just can't go barefoot comfortably.

I am a Euro 44 and ordered the UK size 10.

Buy them you won't regret it.
on 5 May 2013
I was delighted to get this shoe, and in the first tryout appreciated the 'glovelike' feel and the light, forefooty design. Unfortunately the 'glove' feel rapidly became foot strangulation. Reviewers elsewhere have noted the possible tendency to squeeze the top of the foot - i felt like my entire forefoot was being scrunched. Which was bizarre, as further to the front is a lovely wide toe box. Genuinely hurt, and my feet stared at me resentfully for hours afterwards. There was no mercy for my broad forefoot. Went up a size and the shoe was too long and still uncomfortable. I had to give the whole thing up and go back to trusty vivo barefoots.

I have gone for three stars, as the shoe is clearly great in some ways (5*) and will be wholly unwearable by a certain percentage of the population (1* for me). A bit strange as generally minimalist footwear leads, if anything, to the broadening of feet as they strengthen. If you have a narrower foot, this one still could work well for you.
on 18 April 2013
Been running in them for a while now over some really tough rocky terrain. They provide great grip and they are very durable as they have hardly a scuff on them yet. They fit nicely and are light, but they provide plenty of protection for your feet in the right areas, encouraging you to run properly.

Highly recommended.
on 27 June 2012
Merrel Glove shoes seem to get a lot of reviews about sizing, both on Amazon and on their own site. It seems a 50/50 split between those who say they stay the same size as their normal running shoes, and those that need a full size larger. I usually run in size 8 (8 1/2 for some styles). I therefore ordered a size 8 1/2. On arrival I found they were a good 1/2 inch (15mm) too long. Oddly though they are a bit too small across the top of the foot.

Living nowhere near London or any other major city there is no way for me to try on the various types of 'barefoot' shoes without a long and expensive day out. I therefore decided to take the chance and order off line. No big deal as these things can be returned. But, as the fit of barefoot shoes is so important, it goes to prove that unless you are lucky you really do need to go round all the different stockists of the various brands before you find the ones that fit.
on 7 July 2013
These are my second pair of Merrell's I just love the feel and lightness of these trainers - I would ware them all day every day if I could!
on 11 November 2012
I bought a pair if Trail Gloves while 'browsing' the Merrell store in San Francisco. I've owned a pair of Merrell cross trainers for 5 years and always have a look through their catalogue as they are the only trainers I've ever had that just keep going and hang together so well. I saw the Trail Gloves and actually thought that they were climbing shoes but the assistant explained that they were barefoot running shoes. I had never run in my life but really liked the look and feeling on my feet and bought a pair. I've had them for a couple of years now and 12 months ago was roped into an adventure race while being over boisterousness at the pub one night ("hell yeah, I can do that!") so decided that I probably needed to do a bit of running so as not to let the team down completely. I duly went out and bought two pairs of Asics running shoes, ran 4 x 5km races and 1 x 10km race and ended up not being able to walk for two weeks due to knee injuries. After a couple of weeks in bed I decided to try the Trail Gloves as I had some time to browse the interweb and identified that perhaps these padded shoes and my non-existent running form could be corrected by strengthening my feet and calves. I've now run 6 more 5km races and two 10km races with about 200km of training under my belt and am injury free (touch wood).

These are great running shoes, simple. They help to develop a good running form, build the right muscles and in dryish conditions are fast and responsive. They are very well made and while they do let the water in they also let it our again and I have not found them to be too squelchy at all. The seams are all hidden so you can run without socks and not get any blistering. In the wet their grip is pretty poor though, they tend to slide all over the place and just can't find any decent grip but I'm not sure that there are to many trail shoes that can really stop a bit of sliding in the good old British winter mud.

In short (sorry I know this has gone on a bit) they are great shoes and well worth it.
on 15 August 2013
When I first tried the Trail Gloves they felt a bit strange on my feet but that feeling quickly disappeared when I began running. The shoes are barely felt when running, they have nice traction and a nice ground feel. Before byuing these shoes I had used Skechers GoBionic as transitional shoes for a month, but upon running with the Trail Gloves I anew got sore calfs and ankles. It took me another month of adaption before calfs and ankles started to feel ok. I now run approx 45 km per week in the shoes of which the long run is 17k and I don't think of the shoes at all. They are just there. There are two issues with the shoes. First it's the size. My feet are 26.5 cm long and the shoes are size 9 UK. The next pair I buy will be half a size larger since the toes hit the front of the toe box when I run downhill. Since the shoes are so soft this does not cause problems and I rarely think of it nowadays, but the shoes needs to be half a size larger. The second issue I have has more to do with running style. I wear down the soles on the outside of the mid foot since I am a mid foot striker with the bad habit of not putting down the feet firmly into the ground. Sliding down the feet gradually wears down the soles prematurely. But I suppose that is my own problem and has little to do with the shoes. I highly recommend the trail gloves if you plan to leave the tarmac.
on 3 June 2013
I bought these as an introduction to barefoot shoes, having never tried these type of trainers before. I have been wearing them as casual trainers, as they look so great and are so comfortable. As they are barefoot shoes and designed to be worn without socks, there are none of the 'catchy' rubbing components in the interior as you might get with other trainers. The lining is soft but cool, and the ventilation is excellent. They are also a very good fit and have a good look to them.
I've been walking in the shoes to ease myself into barefoot shoes, and have found the Trail Gloves to be an ideal transition. Next stop barefoot running!
on 13 January 2014
Best shoes in the world.

I have three pairs, i used to sell them in a mountain shop and i would often get repeat customers buying new shoes as they decided their current merrel trail gloves were worn out (ive got a years use of everyday out my last pair).

The shoe is great for walking, it may take a few weeks getting used to but once your in them wearing normal shoes really shows the lack of connection you get from your feet and the ground you stand on.

Personally i wear these shoes everyday i can, and bring them with me everywhere as they're so comfy and also so light and packable! They make a great holiday shoe wear space and weight is important. Great for driving as they're no more than 5mm thick for great feeling. Lots of fun hiking too, get for scrambling as they bend fluidly over rocks with your feet!

Running in these shoes however is a real challenge. i still cant run in these they might as well be five fingers. I keep them to walk in, its the only shoe i could wear whilst working in a shop standing on hard tiles for 8 hours.

The colours are true to the images, red/black are the most subtle and orange/grey are probably the most noticeable! The orange however do unglue!!! I don't know why only the orange in 10.5, as my other pairs have held true to the day but the orange shoes unglued, not just with mine but a friends in the same place in less than 2 weeks. I would not let that put you off there are a great shoe!

It is a summer shoe, even with thick socks they give little warmth. So keep it in mind. there is a gore-tex version available, but the sole is much stiffer and very much a different shoe.