4.0 out of 5 stars Corporate Restructure
Published on 7 April 2012 by Thom

3.0 out of 5 stars i don't think this will get syndicated...
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by C. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars i don't think this will get syndicated..., 3 Mar 2012
C. Jones (Ffestiniog, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have really tried to like this game, but in the end the game proves too frustrating to play. Firstly the graphics are pretty dated, lacking much detail and looking pretty flat. Then there is the lack of ability to save when you want to; this is the most serious flaw as it means you often find yourself in situations were it would have been nice to reload a previous save, but you cannot. For instance, you meet plenty of bosses that are difficult to kill at the best of times, but impossible when you have the wrong weapon and very little ammo. The weapons feel loose and vague, which given that this is meant to be a high-tec weapon game is a laugh! In the end i found I was getting bored by being forced to continually replay parts over and over right from the start of a level. There is no involvement in the story (who cares which corporation wins?), who cares about people that blast innocent bystanders apart just for the fun of it? The wanton violence left me feeling I really wanted to shoot the developers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Has issues, 6 Mar 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
First issue I had was that on install, setting up an EA Origin account and validation of the install key, it just wouldn't work. Four days of trying to find a solution and stumbled across one for Battle Field 3 which uses a similar licensing system which consisted of finding and deleting a license file.

I finally managed to start playing late Saturday night, by the following evening I'd completed the single player on normal difficulty. This wasn't a single session but three of a couple hours but you could easily complete it in a single sitting.

Gameplay wise it tends to rely on sporadic firefights with assailants appearing en masse. Ok for the first few times but a bit repetitive by the 20th. It also uses the Halo / Gears of war school of weaponry - you can only carry two guns, grenades and an occasional special, possibly as a result of the console versions.

Now this isn't the first game which I've experienced which such a short playing time but with those I've gone back played again and again sadly I won't be with this. I'll try it in multiplayer and see if there's any improvement but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I didn't experience the lockups or crashes that many have reported on any of the formats, it stuttered in a few places but carried on after a few seconds.

If you must buy it, wait for it to drop massively in price and the patches to be released. Personally I'd recommend getting Deus Ex: Human Revolution as an alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Corporate Restructure, 7 April 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I should point out that this is not anything like the original game, there is no squad based, top down team managment, you can't research weapons in the single player game and you won't be conquering teritories to fund research. So forget the other games happened, but sit back and buckle up for an in-depth well rendered but short game. The levels are, in some cases over far too quickly, but full of eye candy. Five to ten minutes will easily be the playthrough for most levels, with a 'hold' type mission seeing you fending off multiple enemies in a single room never spanning more than thirty minutes. It's got it's highlights, but at times you'll be left wondering where the rest of the level is... possibly on the cutting room floor. You'll find even for experienced gamers, two days will be maximum game time. It'll be intense at times, but not incredibly replayable.
This deserves extra gameplay made, to interact with the original and introduce all the areas you wanted to explore.
Wait until it hits the bargain bins then snap it up for an enjoyable weekend.
Requires Origin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor game, don't buy it....seriously!, 6 Mar 2012
C. Walker - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was waiting with bated breath for this game as I loved the originals back in the day but as soon as I started playing I found myself asking "is this all there is? It happens to be such a poor game I don't know where to start.

Graphics: The graphics are okay not as good as crysis but acceptable. One thing you will notice is the ridiculous glare and brightness from pretty much all light sources that tend to make the screen seem blurry and small, its either too dark or more often than not too bright.

Gameplay: Poor. Nothing from the original games made it into this game apart from names and text. Remember the gauss gun? lots of smoke and a destroyed building? not now, now it fire lame blue lines that home in on a single enemy. Half-life weapon anyone? Copied. The gameplay is nothing short of follow the way that is already set out for you with no deviation and kill the spawns, reload, add some nice cutscenes for the agents and bosses when u meet them and shoot until your ammo runs out and then enter a lift or walk down a corridor and you have ended the level. You can affect the outcome at only 2 points as far as i can see, deus-ex? copied. That is all the gameplay there is. Didnt bother with the 4 player co-op, i doubt there is anyone willing to play this for more than an hour at a time.

Final: Boring FPS with nothing new or original, take out the syndicate names and weak story line and you are left with a very dated fps that stands no chance of longevity. Completed it in a few hours, linear and boring, copied everything from old FPS and added the syndicate badge. 1/10

2.0 out of 5 stars ok but its just a fps with the odd twist, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'm sorry but this doesn't deserve the name syndicate and all that that implies - its not a patch on the original or indeed anything like it.
Just another fps rip-off relying on a classic name.

If you like fps then wait till its under a tenner - then it will be worth it.

Also i find it irritating that it isnt on steam.

3.0 out of 5 stars good fun, 25 Jun 2014
Mr. Jr Lawler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I think this game is fairly forgettable in all honesty but I had a good time playing it while it lasted. Few cool concepts and ideas. If they developed it more it could be something pretty awesome.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun...no support., 2 Nov 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I bought this on a whim as it was cheap, and I was so glad that I did. The reviews were mixed so my hopes were low, I though that I had nothing to lose for about three quid. I was so pleasantly suprised. I'm a huge Deus Ex fan (I'm talking about the original game) and I'm constantly disappointed by modern games which are obviously dumber down for console players who started with Halo and are therefore easily pleased. This game was indeed a simple, linear shooter, but damn was it fun. It's fast paced in such a good way, not Serious Sam paced, more like Human Revolution with less depth but more of the fun that HR lacked. If you like cyberpunk FPS, buy it. Even for the actors, who you definitely will recognise.

2.0 out of 5 stars got bored very quick, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The game looks good but its the same over and over and over stopped playing after 3 hours I found for 4 pounds a good buy but so boring the action is slow but does try to add new thing to fps but fails on all levels shame.

project17awakening

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
First of all, I curious about this game, why people don't talk about this game, it's new IP and it's done...people don't talk it anymore but after I try it, it just amazing game! It's about new IP with combination between Mirror Edge and Crysis but with close range combat! You must try if you love futuristic theme and concept! Great! You will not regret that! Hope they continue this series! I'm really LOVE it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games I have ever played., 2 July 2013
This review is from: Syndicate (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Truly excellent game, I was very surprised. Lots of famous Hollywood actors including Brian Cox and the head baddie from "The Crow" .Game very similar to Deus Ex but much more violent. Has hacking, bullet time and detective mode like Batman. Visuals are outstanding. Story and gameplay are top notch. The best weapons are the Coil (not to be confused with contraception) for pure damage and the flamethrower (for when everyone in the room just has to die screaming). The ending could have been better but earlier in the game I chose to let the woman scientist live which changed the story and despite me saving her life about 4 times after that she used me and lied to me (but that's women for you). Please don't let your children play this game unless you want them to be the head of the mafia or a professional assassin as it will desensitize them to violence. This is probably one of the most uber-violent games of all time. Killing innocents is encouraged and people die slowly, messily and in great pain. The boss fights can take as long as 30 minutes, the gaus gun is essential as it can shoot round corners allowing you to hide whilst you heal up. The game is very short at 6 hours but I do play a lot of shooters. After you kill a boss(enemy agent) you see a cut-scene where you rip the computer chip out of his brain, and implant it in your own allowing you a new ability, from a screen similar to world of warcrafts talents (how boring). In the original Syndicate game you got to replace body parts in your character screen with metal ones and you looked more and more like the terminator ,metal legs for greater speed, bionic eyes that zoom, titanium chest for armour .To me this was a wasted opportunity. Despite all these problems and the too realistic deaths I would say this is the the 3rd best game I have ever played. Only Battlefield 3 and NWN2 mask of the betrayer beat it.(yes I am an older gamer- but I still pwn your ass in BF3 and I don't use cheats!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Syndicate (PC DVD)
Syndicate (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)