5.0 out of 5 stars ultimate teacher accessory
Our department at school got its hands on a copy last year, and I was so impressed I purchased my own copy. This has to be the best teacher book I possess, and there are several reasons why i believe every practioner should have one.
Published on 1 Mar 2003 by Mr. M. J. Birch

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Many good ideas but rather cumbersome to use. A real tome.
Published 1 month ago by cpgc

5.0 out of 5 stars ultimate teacher accessory, 1 Mar 2003
Mr. M. J. Birch "Matt B" (WGC, UK) - See all my reviews
Firstly, the book combines theory with practice - too many books do not get the balance right, giving too much theory or vice versa. What this book does is set out basic and more compex theories about how effective teaching can occur, then it gives practical examples. The effect of this is so simple - you can understand WHY you should use certain strategies.
There is a huge section in the book detailing dozens of effective teaching strategies that anyone can try, each one saying how it could be adapted for each subject and even what learning is taking place.
I thouroughly recommend this to every teach who wants to improve their teaching - from NT and NQT to HOD's!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable and practical teachers resource!, 8 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This is an excellent resource and reference book for teachers of all levels, ages and subjects - regardless of teaching experience! Ginnis explains in non-jargon language the different styles of learning and how teachers and learners can utilise this knowledge to improve learning experiences and teaching strategies. Teachers will enjoy reading about practical strategies they can use, in the classroom. Pupils have responded to such ideas with enthusiasm, and have fun, while learning in different ways. Ginnis clearly explains the need to use a variety of strategies to tap into the different learning styles individuals will have in the classroom. Useable at all levels, from primary to adult. Fun filled learning suggestions backed up with serious teaching and learning pedagogy. Highly recommended to all teachers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teacher's toolkit- aptly named, 24 Mar 2003
Recommended by a friend. This is such a fantastic reference for all teachers, however long you've been teaching. Nicely set out, very helpful. Covers many useful strategies that are easily implementable. Not too heavy so you can dip in and out of it. The book has well set out activites sections that will help add to the effectivness of your lessons. Friends have borrowed my copy and ordered thiers.
Leave it around so that others will see it and buy their own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 3 May 2006
I bought this book as a trainee teacher and now as an NQT, I still use it for lesson ideas especially when trying to use kinaesthetic, visual and auditory activities. It has a host of activities which are then related back to individual subjects and so, doesn't focus as some other books do on the core subjects of English, Maths and Science. I teach French, and the book provided a lot of new ideas for my lessons that I'd never tried before. I don't know what I ever did before this book came along! Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Nov 2009
Mr. Max Atkins "Mad Max" (Wigan / Warrington) - See all my reviews
Used 16 activities (there are 50) from Section 2 of this book ("Tools For Teaching & Learning") to make our lessons more fun and proactive. The ideas are simple, can be adapted for any subject and can be easily modified (which is what we did for our junior school).
Some are simple and require little preparation, while others (eg "Market Place") require a lot! Have done a modified "Market Place" at least 10 times in the last 18 months as a study aid for the Romans, Volcanoes and India. Did the last one for a recent (Oct 2009) Ofsted inspection and it was well worth the effort: lesson was judged good with elements of outstanding.
They are designed to maximise co-operation and interaction, so that pupils are learning from each other rather than just sitting at desks being fed the info. Each activity has a table showing what the activity is designed to achieve (eg independence, fun etc), and one showing what the activity contains (eg group work, moving about, listening, reading etc) - so you can pick and choose depending on time, space, targets etc.
Will now use ideas from the 17 activities in Section 3 ("Tools For Managing Group Work, Behaviour and Personal Responsibility" ) during our informal "Focus Weeks" as a way of improving pupils' communication and reasoning skills.
Finally, I very rarely buy educational books any more, so the fact that I wanted my own copy and have bothered to submit a review shows how much I value it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding resource for all teachers, 27 April 2006
Jivespin (Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This is perhaps the best single volume teaching resource I have come across and I only wish it was available when I was an NQT. The book is clearly structured tackling diverse areas, such as educational theory, teaching activities and behavioural management ideas.

Perhaps the jewel the crown in this book are the fifty teaching activities which can be used in many different contexts. Not only are they activities presented in a clear and accessible format, it also allows for suggestions on how they can be applied in the classroom as well as alternative ways the activities can be structured.

I found the educational theory well-presented and gave food for thought as well as directions for additional reading. There were some useful behavioural management suggestions which would particularly be useful for NQT's.

A first-class resource which I would highly recommend. The only down side in buying this resource would be if you used it at school, many of your colleagues would want to borrow it and you may not see it again for weeks!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutelly essential book for any shelf, 1 May 2004
Mr. A. Hoang "my REAL wall" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
As a trainee teacher I have found this completely vital for informing planning of so many lessons. It contains a wealth of ideas for every teaching and learning style with detailed explanations and justification for each teaching technique. Written and illustrated with passion and vigour, Ginnis conveys an infectious passion for teaching on every page which in itself is inspirational. By explaining the reasoning behind each teaching technique this book becomes a mine of useful tools and not just another book of random activities with no direction. Absolutely brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teachers Toolkit, 1 Nov 2009
D. Bradbury - See all my reviews
An outstanding book with many great ideas. Im glad to have seen Paul in action and he can improve any teacher with his ideas. Lessons are more interesting, more independent learning takes place and the kids enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars The teacher's toolkit, 2 Jan 2004
This is an excellent book, up to date, engaging and very appealing to my "visual" learning style. It really is an excellent resource and I look forward to using it this term.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 1 Nov 2009
My PGCE mentor recommended this, there are loads of good ideas inside. Had a quick browse & looks really good. Also plenty of recommendations on the TES website.