on 18 December 2007
I thought I might just comment on the content of the book:

This book tells you how to kill, slaughter, and cut up your meat, and a bit on preparation (curing / salting etc).

I had hoped it would have more on the "butchery" aspects, i.e. cutting up & preparing the meat / processing etc. I'd just bought a fore-quarter from the butcher and I bought this book to help me cut it up, and it wasn't exactly what I was after as there isn't that much on things like curing etc..

I tend to buy pork / lamb by the half animal (much cheaper) and I was hoping this book would teach me to cut it up myself.

Note that its American written so some of the cuts are different to what we're used to in the UK.

Still, if the day came that I was going to kill an animal for my own consumption, I'd definitely want this book at my side!

UPDATE ON MY REVIEW - 3 years later. I've just revisited what I wrote above, and to be honest with a bit of hindsight, this is still the best book on butchering I've come across. With it at my side I've learned how to cut up venison, lamb & mutton, and of course beef. I syill wish there was more about butchering in it but then again it is called "basic" butchering. And I've yet to find another book which deals with DIY butchering as well as this one does.
on 20 May 2009
I think some of the reviews here are rather harsh. I have butchered my own pigs and even tackled one of our cows with this book for guidance ! We get our stock slaughtered at a local abbattoir but when they wanted over £200 for butchering the cow I thought I would have a go myself. This book provided all the guidance I needed so therefore is worth every penny. I think some of the reviewers who put this down are wannabees. I do it - and I would recommend this book to anyone who is serious about butchering their own stock.
on 11 August 1999
It helped me expand my knowlege of butchering wild game, namely venison! I could recommend this to the somewhat seasoned butcher as well as the novice! He also included some great idea's I can't wait to try for preserving different meats! My only complaint would be that the author did not explain the different quality of the cuts of meat(ie. tenderness) as well on the wild game as he did with the domestic animals. However, overall this book is well worth the cost and should be in any self-suficiency minded person's library!
on 4 August 1999
For any person living off the grid or desiring to do so, this book will provide invaluable information on how to slaughter when you can't just drive to the market or drag it to a processing house. I would have liked to have seen more information on "Walton" preserving, as I like to be able to live without all of the conveniences of city life. I like the idea of being able to fend for myself, and I would not hesitate to use this as a guide for my first steer. His rabbit method is quite similar to mine (I use two pegs).
on 12 July 2010
For the beginner in butchery this book cannot be equaled for the excellent illustrations and easy step by step instructions. The most valued for money book I know of on butchery. This book will not disapoint!
on 17 June 1999
I used this book to teach myself the basics of butchering many years ago and find it is a ready resource today. I butcher on a regular basis and would recommend this book to any man who has never put the knife to his own livestock before.
One thing to remember about butchering is this, no book will ever give you the skills, you have to kill and cut to learn them.
on 22 December 2010
To be honest I didn't expect much from this book.
Butchery is very hands on and I didn't think a book would be as useful as a DVD.
But it's actually pretty good.
I've done some butchery before and it follows what I already knew quite well.
I didn't have knowledge of butchering large animals, but I do now.

It would be even better if they had a section on killing them too.
But it's a good but with good illustrations and diagrams.

Worth buying if you're new to butchery.
on 18 January 2013
This is a very practical and useful book. It doesnt shy away from any of the nitty gritty bits you need to know. It is from the USA and written for the US rules and regs but still incredibly useful.
on 9 January 2014
This work was very informative and it has become a much thumbed reference book.I would recommended to those that do home butchery.it is clear and precise.and contains a lot of information.
on 5 March 2014
Very clear from how to slaughter your beast and skin, etc. Most books start after this point assuming you have a clean carcase. Of great assistance if you kill your own game.