5.0 out of 5 stars More than a book,this was an experience.
Published on 11 Feb 2012 by harasrrek

2.0 out of 5 stars Crutches for ducks
didnt like writing style - but kept reading in case it became more like my taste! not my cuppa tea
Published 23 months ago by Navy mum

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a book,this was an experience., 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: Crutches For Ducks (The 'nostalgedy' collection Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book during a harrowing car journey in the snow and it certainly took my mind off the weather. This group of stories,a mixture of comedy and baby boomer nostalgia covered topics as diverse as telephone boxes,school assemblies,ghostly encounters and slot televisions,to name but a few. The author shares his memories,but in doing so,magically draws you into his tales.
I read some of them aloud to my husband (who was driving) and we laughed aloud as we reminisced about experiences shared.I later caught him red handed stealing a peek himself,and this from a man who never reads anything other than his newspaper!
So whether you enjoy a good laugh,wallowing in nostalgia or simply being a baby boomer you will not be disappointed.More than a book Crutches for Ducks was an experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty memories.., 18 May 2012
Very funny laugh out loud book .....memories from the author's childhood....would read any Philip Whiteland book now .....do try this

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Times Remembered, 28 Feb 2012
Scorpio (Plymouth, Devon UK) - See all my reviews
So much remembered from my younger times, giggled over and over. Loved it from start to finish. Hope there is more in the pipeline?

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing stocking filler, 31 Dec 2012
I have enjoyed this collection of stories and reminiscences as much as the previous one about Passing his Granny's house. Light reading and easy to absorb, perhaps it is an age thing? My generation ( about the same one as the author I guess) recognises the times the author mentions, our children would probably find it a revelation if they could be bothered looking at it on their smartphones and tablets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crutches for Ducks = FAB !, 3 Mar 2014
At last a book of this ilk that ticks all the boxes for me. Philips style of writing makes this an easy and enjoyable read.
Evoked so many memories and giggles. Highly recommended - will definitely purchase further books by this author Philip Whiteland.

5.0 out of 5 stars I might as well face it... I'm addicted to Philip Whiteland!, 14 Jan 2014
brenda (LADERA RANCH, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
The author has a clever way of delivering a book full of fun and laughs. "Crutches For Ducks" is such a lovely, easy escape that I found myself laughing out loud and just feeling joyful reading about these off the wall predicaments. These stories are light hearted and seems to make fun at just about any one possible. Even the author himself which is the most fun. I love how the everyday mundane things can be made into a hysterical situation. I am a true fan and have really enjoyed and have been entertained by all of the authors works.

This nostalgic adventure where we go back in time is so darn entertaining and the old photographs are priceless!. I could relate to some of the stories even though I am a female, not a male and from the United States, not the United Kingdom.

This book is filled to the brim with brilliantly witty quotes which makes it very difficult to share just one but here you go...

"I only fully realised just how much the telephone was now an essential part of everyday life when I inadvertently left my mobile phone in my car the other day. I was at the gym (yes, I know it seems unlikely but bear with me) and my wife had taken the car to go shopping, not knowing that my phone was on the back seat. I felt cut off from the known world. Goodness knows why, given that nobody ever rings me, and the only texts that pass backward and forward tend to be of the rather mundane "I'm here. I'll let you know when I'm leaving" variety. For my daughter and the generations following her, it would take radical surgery to part them from their mobile phones and I'm sure they could not envisage a world in which such things didn't exist, and yet it was not always this way."

5.0 out of 5 stars my childhood too!, 24 Jan 2013
wonderful trip back to a happy time. very funny and honest. i clearly remember the slot meters and tellies. i also recall how cosy i was with my dad's overcoat on my bed in the winter and frost on the inside of windows each morning. we were healthy, hardy, loved and very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crutches for ducks, 8 Nov 2012
very funny book, brought back many memories of my own childhood. I had forgotten many of them but they all came flooding back while reading this book

5.0 out of 5 stars More childhood memories, 21 April 2012
This is more of the same from the author of Steady Past Your Granny's. bringing the story further to leaving school and into the world of work and other such bedwildering situations. Its the same formula of gently amusing stories picking fun at everybody, but most of all the author himself. There are some photographs as well and a few themed stories, about Christmas and Entertainment. Its all very likeable and appealing stuff and very easy to read. Philip has this knack for finding the amusing in everyday things. As with the first one, it can be enjoyed with you feet up and a nice pot of tea and biscuits.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 5 Aug 2013
I felt the author had had a very good child hood and although it seemed as if it was tough ,all of us. growing up at that time were priviliged to have such simple things .