5.0 out of 5 stars Almost to mental to believe
Published on 10 July 2012 by faye

This was a great read and as it about person brought up in opposite end of Glasgow it opened my eyes to what went on that I never knew could not put my kindle down as I so interested more of same please
Published 2 months ago by christine dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost to mental to believe, 10 July 2012
I read this book after coming across it by chance and from beginning to end could not put it down. Though some parts were really quite difficult to read (both because of the nature of them and because of some of the Glaswegian dialect) it was completely worth it and i was finished in 3 days. I do have to say that knowing that Janey Godley is now a completely sucessful woman makes it a slightly easier read, as you can see there's a light at the end of the tunnel during the darker places of the book. The story really is something that you couldn't make up and very well written, clearly with a lot of thought and care. ten out of ten!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but heart-breaking at times. Glad she didn't become a "victim", 17 Sep 2009
Mrs. Catriona Wiggins "cosycat16" (glasgow/scotland) - See all my reviews
What a life for one person to have to endure! I'm so glad that Janey Godley managed to find the humour to get her through and take her life in the direction it did rather than just becoming another "victim of childhood abuse".
I have attended a couple of Janey's stand up shows and have thoroughly enjoyed her great sense of humour and the ability to tell her story with a smile on her face.
Great read but heartbreaking at times.
Well done Janey!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most heart breaking AND heartwarming stories. Truthfully written and honestly personal., 10 July 2012
This review is from: Handstands In The Dark: A True Story of Growing Up and Survival (Kindle Edition)
When I first started reading this book I thought it would break my heart, but the truth is yes you will cry but you will also laugh and be surprised and feel proud of this woman whom you feel you get to know. She tells her story in an honest way and makes no appologies for who it has made her today. So all I can say is if you want a REAL look into someone's life. Pick Janeys and buy this book. The perfect person to show you how not to let your past ruin your future!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!, 21 May 2012
Wonderful read; I actually couldn't put it down. Having seen Janey's brilliant comedy act I was curious to read about her background so purchased this not really knowing what to expect. She gives a frank and intimate account of her experience of growing up in Glasgow and yes, at times it was hard to read but, being from this neck of the woods myself I found it especially interesting and true to life. The negative reviews on here accusing her of 'fantasizing' I find incredulous. This only serves to demonstrate the reasons why so many find it hard to come out about publically about abuse. Not being believed is something that stops children and young adults telling someone - I applaud anyone that can share difficult experiences like this. Entertaining, inciteful and poignant. I loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing!, 20 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Handstands in the Dark (Hardcover)
I was stunned by this book,it's not just a book about an abused child, in fact it is so much more. I laughed and cried and could not stop turning the pages constantly I sat up all night to read it through. She is a funny woman in real life as I have saw her comedy shows in london, but to know her so much more is just fantastic. I loved the book. The stories about the guns and gangsters are just so real and gripping it made me surprised about her life, she doesn't seem like a gangster's moll at all when you meet her.

3.0 out of 5 stars This was a great read and as it about person brought up in ..., 4 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars such an honest book, 22 Jun 2014
Fabulous couldn't put it down the nook brought back so many memory's of Glasgow at times you felt journal knew some of the characters you just became so involved

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good read . Couldn't put it down from start to finish., 28 May 2014
Fab book and reminded me of growing up in Shettleston.Some parts were very sad and pulled at the heart strings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remains unfinished to me, 12 May 2014
First of all, I really think the publisher needs to change the cover on this book. Lots will be put off reading it as it may seem to be one of thise tragic American true life child abuse stories. The cover needs to be more gritty, b&w , something to suggest this is so much more than that.
I enjoy reading about how people like Janey drag themselves out of situations and go on to make a success of themselves. Lets deal first with child abuse side : its not the main story. It is though, the foundation on how she grew up, it made her make decisions based on what she felt about herself. For example, she did not feel a valued person so stayed in a volatile marriage as she felt she deserved it. And her guiding star was to see vengeance on her abuser. But this was not covered fully in the book. He was never found in the book ? Did he eventually get charged ?
So this is a detailed story of how life moulded Janey, how she learnt to find love in her daughter and in some friends. It is a gritty image of life in Glasgow in the 1970's and 80's.
I would love to know what happened next, the epilogue was too short, lacking detail. So how are you Janey ?

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book, 4 May 2014
Great book. Truly harrowing and horrifing at times. I would love to know The second part of her life how Janey found her way to comedy. What happened next????