on 10 May 2012
Poorly written. A book which could have benefitted from a good editor. I didn't finish, as I got bored. I chose it because I like reading about diffenrent cultures and traditions, but this one didn't cut it. It's like it was written for a therapeutic exercise.
on 9 May 2012
It was a fascinating read of Safiya's Hajj journey, especially for one who will never experience such a remarkable journey.

I now understand why non Muslims are banned from Mecca and Medina, they are places for Muslims to be involved in their religion and not one for tourists to be wandering about taking pictures and looking for souvenirs.

The Hajj itself seemed so dangerous and testing that I am amazed more people do not die, it seemed almost like a computer game. Survive circling the Kabba 7 times, then trek the sun scorched desert before finally joining 3 million fervent people in a small area stoning a large stone block representing the devil!!! She really brought the whole pilgrimage and her internal conflicts to life in beautiful style.

However I feel for the lady as she seems so lost after suffering hearbreak from a lousy bloke, she now almost see's Allah as her love. Also the constant struggle she faced with worrying about Satan, the day of judgemment and the hope of reward and punishmment. Safiya's God is one who needs worhsipping and she obliges for his love, but this is an angry God who needs appeasing and constant sacrifice. I do not know this God, I never judge my children and whatever any person did I would never condemn them to eternity in Hell, forgiveness and love are the truth of God, never judging, never condemning always waiting to catch us as we fall. God is not hateful, that is man.

For a true loving God this book is an amazing read

or try The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran one amazing short book, no separation, no Hell, just love and creation as God intended.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
Albert Einstein
on 2 August 2012
An amazing title... but it stopped there. Poorly written. I did finish the book, unfortunately, I find it unconvincing and uninspiring.
on 5 January 2015
Not what I
Expected.
on 2 January 2015
A good inspiring read.
on 22 January 2013
I was very interested in the subject of this writer's pilgrimage to Mecca and although she describes it in detail, including her own feelings, trials and tribulations, she failed to hold my attention. The surface description of the journey is certainly interesting for non-Muslims, who will never pilgrimage to Mecca, but for me the book lacked the spiritual and emotional depths I had hoped to find. Even when making allowances for the age of the writer, I can't help feeling that the book stays very much on the surface and is in a way not quite believable. Nevertheless, a great attempt by a young writer.
on 16 January 2015
Excellent book
on 13 May 2012
I like reading stories about other cultures but this was not a story. Didn't really get into it at the beginning but persevered until page 40 and after missing sentences, then paragraphs decided to admit to myself that I would not get into it because there was nothing to get into. Boring rubbish.
on 24 August 2012
Reading Safiya's story, for me was as arduous as the experience she describes. Reading was hard work but somehow I needed to stick with it. Safiya's quest for happiness seems to have been in part fulfilled as was my search for a 'good read'! However, my perseverance has resulted in a better insight into the Muslim Faith.
on 3 February 2013
Insufficient content i felt was padded out to make this book. Insight was gained about the experience of going to Mecca but this would have sparked my interest more if the authors writing style was less laboured. As a result this book made me disengage and not finish it.