5.0 out of 5 stars So many themes and messages - something for everyone
Published on 25 Feb 2012 by Faisal Abad

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read to a point
An interesting insight into the Haj and associated rituals. The author I feel laboured the point in the second half of the book and as a result the pace dwindled to the point where I was glad to finish the book. Even so, I feel that I have come away with some knowledge and appreciation as a result of this personal account. A reasonable free read.
Published on 8 April 2012 by Sasha

5.0 out of 5 stars So many themes and messages - something for everyone, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: Three Thousand Miles for a Wish : the true story of a young woman's quest to find happiness (Kindle Edition)
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a well-written real story from a gifted author. Her writing is very accessible and the best thing, for me, is that she's naturally very funny. Her observations on life and culture give a warmth, realness and point of reference to all kinds of themes and experiences that are pretty scary, immense and life-changing.

At the same time, I learnt about Islam and the Hajj pilgrimmage - an unexpected bonus. Also, it was very refreshing to get a different perspective on Islam and Muslims and Asian culture, outside of the stereotypes that few Muslims can actually relate to. That said, the themes and experiences are completely universal, so ultimately, I think that absolutely anyone and everyone could read this book and take something positive from it. Whether it's boredom with the mundane 9-5 of your job, or a difficult relationship, or the way you treat your parents, the book contains a wealth of experience, insight and hope (no matter what situation you are in).

The personal journey and the physical journey are connected well, so you get a good mix of personality and emotion, with some real descriptions of the environment the author finds herself in.

The book is full of hope, too. Yes, there's despair and difficulty, but it's great to see how the author takes on the physical and emotional challenges. You want her to succeed and be happy.

Definitely a page-turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 5 Mar 2012
WindsorMummy (Windsor) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book ticks all the boxes in my opinion; It is humorous yet delicate regarding sensitive issues, it is factual without being dreary or bogging the reader down in detail, and it has the amazing ability of transporting the reader to another time and place. I can identify with the author on so many different levels; it really struck a chord with me. The book is written in such an accessible way that muslims and non muslims alike will be able to enjoy, and benefit, from reading it. Personally, it gave me a newfound respect for all those who have been on Hajj and risked life and limb to achieve this pillar of Islam; I never really knew what it entailed before. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see it for myself. This is unlikely to happen, but I have Safiya Hussain's remarkably detailed and vivid account to take me there from the comfort of my own home.
I urge anyone with an open mind who enjoys learning about other cultures (or finding out more about their own) to buy a copy of this book. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 26 Jan 2012
Probably the most amazing book I have ever read! I dont read a lot but this book soon changed that, I found myself rearranging my life just to get through to the end. Once you pick this up you just cant put it down. Highly recommended to all, regardless of your religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmeric Read, 11 April 2012
A. Lovat (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a Jewish - bordering on atheist - yet found great similarities in this wonderful book between what was written and what I know of Judaism (having been brought up in a religious family) and even Buddhism. The almost meditative state that can be borne from true belief.

Be drawn into this compelling journey and share the hypnotic trip to Saudia Arabia. You will enjoy a great insight into one of the most remarkable and rewarding human migrations through hardship and turmoil.

It is beautifully written, the pages flow as does the journey.

An absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good look into something I'll never see myself, 27 Feb 2012
As a non-Muslim I'll never go to a Hajj, so it was great for me to read this account of what goes on. Safiya Hussain was raised as a Muslim, but she has "outsiders eyes" as she relates her experience, explaining the significance of the various rituals, and also giving her very human reaction to everything she saw.

As a new writer I think she's done very well indeed, bringing the reader into her private wishes and emotions, while also providing actual information.

I downloaded this free for Kindle, so it was very good value!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 17 April 2012
Nahla (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I will definitely be recommending this book!
I haven't read a book in a while that I'm sure I will remember for many years to come and this is definitely one!
As a muslim myself, I found the book to be inspiring and informative and I think it's a book that every muslim should read at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives you a whole new meaning on life...!, 31 Jan 2012
This book takes you to a deeper understanding of love, betrayal and faith. The Author has a gift with words and the book takes you on a journey. You can actually feel like you are part of the story and it makes you laugh, cry and think at the same time. It is a powerful, mesmerising account of someone who has been through all the problems and difficult times in her life and managed to overcome them using the power of faith. Furthermore, this book has helped me gain a much better understanding of the Holy Pilgrimage - the Hajj - and what takes place during the course of this journey.

I highly recommend this book because many people will able to relate to this, people from all walks of life. It will leave you feeling emotional, breathless and at the same time it will help you think about your life and appreciate the things you have.
A fantastic book that is worth 10 stars!
Imran, North West England

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 18 Feb 2012
I didnt think it was possible for someone to shed tears reading book, now I seen everything this book is amazing, the author expressed her feelings and touched my heart, I look forward to reading more books from this author :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing journey, 13 Nov 2011
The author deserves much credit for her daring piece of work. The read was emotional, tense and gripping throughout. The narrative has been successful in not just coming to terms with life's purpose, needs and wants but portraying a view of life that many would take a lifetime to reach, never mind 3000 miles.

Thoroughly enjoyed and recommended for those who want real reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 14 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book....I'm from a Catholic upbringing and what surprised me was the similarities in the two religions, which I could never have imagined. A very interesting read and although I have always accepted others beliefs, I certainly have more respect now for the Muslim community. All we are ever fed in the media and news is extremist Muslim behaviour, which is a far cry from being a true Muslim.