4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good
Though not perfect, this is definitely my favourite smartphone to date. Main advantages for me are:
- Finally, a QWERTY phone with a decent operating system and a good selection of apps- strange that this apparently obvious combination is so hard to find, I guess this is what Blackberry should have been
- Finally, a smartphone with an acceptable battery life-...
Published on 17 July 2012 by JadedW11

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad experience with this phone
I have had a bad experience with this phone. The first showed dust was getting behind the screen after just two days. Amazon replaced the phone. The second soon after upgrading to the latest firmware would freeze sometimes when the camera was selected. I contacted Motorola & they said to return the phone to them for repair, I was unhappy with this response & eventually...
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by bri

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device and absolute bargain!, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Motorola Pro Plus Android Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The phone arrived promptly from Amazon and I updated the Android firmware as soon as I had it charged up. It's running 2.3.6 and the as-delivered Motoblur skin; I haven't yet rooted the phone or tried alternative launchers.

It took a long time for me to make the decision to buy this phone, but I finally gave up waiting for a higher spec qwerty Android model to appear on the market. I've used qwerty candybar phones for many years, having owned several Palms including the excellent Treo 650 and, latterly, the Nokia E72 (a great phone in many ways, if only the operating system wasn't dead in the water.) I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, so I know what a speedy dual core Android device with a world-beating screen looks like; I was worried that the Motorola Pro Plus would seem a bit of a poor relation by comparison.

Having owned the phone for a week and having used it very heavily, trying out most functions and relying on it for a lot of day-to-day business, I can report that it exceeds my expectations. It has a few irritating quirks but on the whole it is quick, sleek, easy to use and very practical; I'm very glad I made the relatively small investment!

Good points:
* Winning form factor for me: the screen is bright and clear and big enough to make emails etc very easy, while the keyboard is very usable. I thought the lack of a 5-way or optical button would be a problem but it really isn't, due to the size and weight of the phone.
* Keyboard is a little stiff but I find I'm more accurate on it than on the Nokia E72.
* Very little noticeable lag in flicking between screens and opening apps.
* Strong phone signal and clear calls.
* Great contacts and phone apps - probably standard on Gingerbread but they work very well on this phone.
* Only a few apps have trouble with the non-standard screen size. I'm intending to start a thread on the Motorola forum to post working/non working app information, but feel free to leave a question here if there's a specific app that concerns you. A couple of apps showed up as incompatible in the Play store, but I've successfully sideloaded them by getting them on my Tab and copying the apk to the Pro Plus. BBC iPlayer and Guardian crosswords both work flawlessly this way. I've yet to try Google Currents and Flipboard. On the other hand, a lot of the news apps (BBC, Independent, Guardian...) work very well.
* Light in weight.
* Not too big - it's easy to use with one hand and fits in a Golla Raft Music Bag (my case of choice for the Nokia E72) beautifully, leaving plenty of space for a short micro usb cable in the back zipped pocket!
* Good battery life and built in battery/data savers that actually work.
* Standard micro-USB charger/connector.
* No problems connecting to Linux pc in USB mode.
* Surprisingly good video playback.
* Sound is good, with reasonable built in speaker.
* Built in phone portal allows access to phone from pc over local network, through your web browser. (This is of limited use if you run Linux as some functions need Internet Explorer.)
* Pretty good camera and video camera.
* Some games work surprisingly well, such as Temple Run and My Paper Plane.

Bad points
* There's a gap all the way around the screen between it and the casing, which is a perfect size to let dust in.
* The notification bar shows a weak wifi signal a lot of the time when other devices register a strong one. However, this may be a notification problem as the phone doesn't actually seem to have difficulty operating over wifi.
* A few funny software glitches, for example typing the first letter of an app while in the app screen forces a close (rather than jumping to apps beginning with that letter, which would have been sensible).
* The loud camera shutter sound, documented elsewhere (with solutions if you've rooted)
* Yes, the screen is a bit small for browsing, but if that was your primary concern you'd probably be buying a different form factor of phone; install Opera Mini and basic browsing is covered.
* Officially no update to ICS - not a problem for me at all and at least you now know it in advance.
* Triple Town crashed horribly and I had to uninstall it...

Things I've yet to try (but will add in an update at some point)
* Bluetooth
* GPS
* Rooting

Overall I'm really pleased with my purchase. If you want an all-singing, all-dancing multimedia phone you'll probably want something with a bigger screen and more power; however, if you want a device primarily for phone and messaging functions, but with all the other stuff there as and when you need it, I can highly recommend the Pro Plus. Even power users are unlikely to be disappointed.

Update 2/8/2012:
*Bluetooth works well. The phone paired easily with my Nokia bluetooth headset, although the sound is not as good as with the E72
*MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT - the FM radio is useless, as it has a loud background hiss at all times. My Sansa Clip +, which is the size of a matchbox, gets a perfect reception with the same headphones acting as an aerial. I'm not sure if this is just my phone - can anyone tell me? If it is, I may attempt to get a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value phone., 6 July 2012
This phone is brilliant value since the price came down. It is also about the only sensible Andriod option if you want a keyboard. The screen is brilliant and the portrait orientation makes complete sense. It is fairly slim and light, and also looks better and feels much nicer in the hand than I expected. The battery life is also much better than the average smartphone.
There are a few niggles though:
The Motoblur skin is a bit flaky occasionally (even after the update) with occasional crashes etc, but I haven't had to restart the phone at all.
The keyboard is a bit stiff for very fast typing but that might improve with time (it's already a bit better after a month or so).
The camera shutter is very loud and there doesn't seem to be any choice about it.
The battery gets warm at times.
All in all I'm very happy with this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect compromise, 18 July 2012
G. Clark (London, uk) - See all my reviews
Having owned a blackberry and an android tablet I knew a wanted the versatility of the android OS with the convenience of a real keyboard, on screen keypads are just too fiddly and error-prone for my liking.

After much research I chose the motorola pro plus, I've had it for a week now and apart from a small problem with my internet router (I had to change the wireless security mode to get it to work) I've been delighted with it.

The Motorola 'skin' on android is fine but I downloaded go launcher from the play store which gives much more flexibility on how to lay out your home screen and different icons etc.

The keyboard is great, I'd rather have the number buttons grouped rather than across the top row but this is a minor gripe, the dedicated full stop, comma and @ keys make emailing and texting dead easy (better than my blackberry bold imo), the autocorrect occasionally annoys but no more so than on other smart phones I've owned.
The screen is great, bright, clear and big enough for surfing whilst not being so big it makes the phone cumbersome.

In summary I would highly recommend this phone, it is a perfect compromise between the big android phones (galaxy s3 etc) and a blackberry, its small, fast, flexible and powerful.

2.0 out of 5 stars It all goes downhill from there..., 10 Nov 2012
I purchased this phone on the 4th of September 2012 via Amazon Warehouse Deals. The product arrived promptly as described and was everything I could have wished for; a Blackberry QWERTY form factor with android usability and a touchscreen to boot! But it was all downhill after that. Within a week, a layer of dust had started to form between the digitizer and the LCD, mildly inconvenient and only cosmetic but annoying nonetheless.
After 37 days there is now quite a bit of dust inside the screen, but not only has that happened, the once brilliant QWERTY keyboard has now become faulty with only the 'QWERT' keys working. Every other key has become redundant and when using any key on the right hand side of the keyboard a press of the volume button is registered, as well as the touchscreen registering a constant touch.
I was very happy with my purchase and the seller, I am now extremely dissatisfied. Who do I contact? What are my options?