Brilliant 330mm LED Striplight !

I'm on a mission at the moment. I'm aiming to go totally LED throughout the house.

The last room on my list has been the kitchen. As finding a good alternative for my old Smilight tubes (dates back to MFI kitchen days) at a reasonable price has been hard going.

I wanted something of at least equal...
Published 2 months ago by Dave Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Item I received had poor fitting case
The item I received had a poorly fitting case. The light itself was good with good light output and otherwise I had no complaints.
Published 11 months ago by Les Houches

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality linkable Cool White LED striplight. 330mm approx Less than 4 watts !! Brilliant light !,, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Leyton Lighting330 mm Linkable Led Striplight (Kitchen & Home)
Brilliant 330mm LED Striplight !

I wanted something of at least equal brightness that was good quality and built to last. I also wanted it to easily connect to my existing wiring without having to have loads of additional work done by an electrician.

So I have 3 cupboards under which I have tube lights and I took the plunge and bought all 3 lengths of this light available to replace tubes of roughly the same size.

The striplight arrived quickly and was well packed. Errrr in fact a little too well packed in my opinion. Look at the pics and yes that monstrous box was all just for this one striplight. The other light I ordered came in an even bigger box! Strange choice of shipping container.

The contents are the striplight and the mains cable to which you can add a plug.

I know that some are moaning there is no plug but there is no point sending out thousands of plugs that get thrown away. Many like me will be connecting to existing wiring and would end up having a wasted plug.

At least the manufacturer is thinking of the environment and avoiding putting the price up because of the need to supply plug/fuse.

So all I had to do to fit the striplight was cut the cable to an equal length of my existing wire, attach it to the terminal block. Attach the other end of the cable to the striplight and put the striplight into place.

As other reviewers have noticed if there is something to moan about it's the fittings to attach the striplight to your cupboard/cabinet.

Take my advice. Don't even bother with the things, they are useless.. It seems to be common place with any kitchen lights but fittings and the screws provided are so often quite poor.

Fortunately there is an alternative which is both economical, quicker than the fittings to put in place, and "invisible"
I just used two Unibond No More Nails Strip Ultra-strong Removable Translucent (which you can find on Amazon) and stuck the light on securely in about 15 seconds.

I wouldn't recommend using normal double sided sellotape as, in the long run, it will probably dry out and the stick will go. The strips I have used are brilliant giving a far more secure light than would have been the case with the fittings.

So striplight mounted and connections made I turned on.

It's an utterly brilliant light.

I hadn't noticed this was for the "cool white" light as opposed to "warm white" which my old lights were. But I actually like this whiter light in this small kitchen better. Warmer lighting works well in the lounge/bedrooms.

Note: In the title of the item if "Warm white" is not mentioned then they are cool white lights. Just make sure you are ordering the same type for however many you need otherwise the lighting will look odd.

I am so pleased I have already ordered the two remaining cool white striplights I need which are different lengths from this one.

And if these led striplights last anywhere near the 50,000 hours they are said to be capable of then they will outlive me !

At just 3.6 watts and allowing 15p per electricity unit this bulb could be run for 5 hours PER DAY at a total cost of around 99p !!

It's also worth mentioning that, if required these lights can be connected together simply by plugging one end into the end of another (theres a removable cap), alternatively a short connecting cable is available separately.

However if you want a longer light you will find it more economical to buy one of the longer length available (550mm) rather than to buy 2 shorter lengths. Multiple joining would only be useful when you need a light that is of a substantially different measurement than the standard lengths.

I would recommend these lights to anybody. Yes the provided fixings are a bit naff but the most important thing is the build and quality of the light itself. I can't fault it.

Footnote: I did find a use for the rather useless light holding clips. I used them as cable stays instead

5.0 out of 5 stars Outanding!, 15 Nov. 2013
Very bright but warm light, really lights up the area under cabinets.

Some reviews here have said it only lights a narrow area but I'd strongly disagree, it lights up the whole worktop and brightly covers around 80-90cm of cabinet width. We've used 2 lights for 2 80cm cabinets in a corner and it's perfect, very brightly lit.

These have made a massive difference to the look and practicality of our kitchen, highly recommended!

The only small note/negative I'd point out is that you'll need to make sure you buy a mains plug and some way of attaching the mains cable to the cabinets, these aren't included. Fixings for the lamp are however, though the screws were too long for our cabinets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 19 Nov. 2013
I have several of these now.

All of mine are connected into the ceiling roses, the pendant removed, and I use these as the main lights in bathrooms, toilets, hallways and such. So, naturally, I was pleased it didn't have a plug to remove.

At 4 watts, they are cheap as chips to run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light, 28 Dec. 2012
Nothing better under the kitchen wall cabinets for adding that sparkle to the new kitchen. Easy to fit as long as you have the power already available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, linking options, fitting options and bright light, 14 Sept. 2013
I've fitted these under my kitchen wall units about 18 months ago. They have performed really well with no failures yet. They come with a few options for linking multiple lights together, a couple of different fitting options and the light is plenty bright enough.

I think these are about the best on the market, though this is obviously reflected in the price. However, in my view these are still cheaper in the long run than constantly replacing faulty cheaper options or nasty fluorescent tubes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice light, 18 April 2013
Nice white light and you have different options on how it fits under cabinets.
Will probably buy more for the kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Nov. 2012
ordered sunday delivered tuesday (first class service)bought to replace an old fluorescent light that got very hot this one stays cool all the time very bright cannot fault the item well done Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good one... fit for purpose, 9 April 2014
Chirag Mehta "diku" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Obviously as many of us know, is doesnt come with a plug for obvious costing reasons. Be prepare to spend another £1-£2 for B&Q plug. Just need a plug with 3AMP fuse and not more.

I am using it for lighting a cabinet that is 400mm in width and this proves to be very bright. So thumb rule can be - width of the lights should be near to half of the area that it has to light up.

Its pricey, but the series lights are cheap in quality and price both. This one is neat, standard and (I hope it remains) durable.

I am writing this review within first week of my usage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super lighting, 26 Jan. 2014
Nice bright light and very easy to fit. I have placed this under my kitchen cupboards and it gives a good light. It was easy to fit, just fit it to an electrical junction box.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice bright reading light, 30 Oct. 2014
well, it is a lot brighter than I thought it would be.

replaced an old 30 watt incandescent strip light as a bedtime reading light.

the light from this is superb for reading, crisp white light, and no flickering.

I would say it is actually quite a bit brighter than the old strip lamp.

very happy with it indeed, so bought 2 more for elsewhere in house.

Leyton Lighting330 mm Linkable Led Striplight