5.0 out of 5 stars Fanney Burney
Read these after mention made to FB in classic novels. Enjoyed immensely and fact influenced other authors added to piquancy.
Published 7 months ago by simone

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic - but .......
I have just downloaded the Kindle edition of this. At less than one pound it MUST be good value (4 full length novels!!) but I am glad I didn't buy a hardcopy book.

Published 16 months ago by BM COOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanney Burney, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Complete Novels of Fanny Burney (Annotated) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic - but ......., 13 April 2013
BM COOK (OLD PORTSMOUTH, HANTS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Fanny Burney is one of the acclaimed pioneers of the genre "novel" - all praise to her for that. But. I have just finished "Evelena" which is her first and is considered her best. Oh dear, perhaps I will like the others better... But I found most of her characters tiresome. I suppose the horseplay and pranks and sheer vulgarity of several minor characters were meant to be humorous. Sorry, I do not find this kind of humiliation amusing. As a text to mine for social mores, the novel has its uses. The sentimental posturing of Evelena and Lord Orville I can just tolerate, but Captain Mirvin and his practical jokes - no. But I suppose it expands my appreciation of the 18th C.