on 17 January 2014
Read these after mention made to FB in classic novels. Enjoyed immensely and fact influenced other authors added to piquancy.
on 19 January 2016
ordered for reference only
on 13 April 2013
I have just downloaded the Kindle edition of this. At less than one pound it MUST be good value (4 full length novels!!) but I am glad I didn't buy a hardcopy book.

Fanny Burney is one of the acclaimed pioneers of the genre "novel" - all praise to her for that. But. I have just finished "Evelena" which is her first and is considered her best. Oh dear, perhaps I will like the others better... But I found most of her characters tiresome. I suppose the horseplay and pranks and sheer vulgarity of several minor characters were meant to be humorous. Sorry, I do not find this kind of humiliation amusing. As a text to mine for social mores, the novel has its uses. The sentimental posturing of Evelena and Lord Orville I can just tolerate, but Captain Mirvin and his practical jokes - no. But I suppose it expands my appreciation of the 18th C.
on 7 October 2014