TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 September 2012
Despite the less than favourable reviews I thought for Amazon's current price of £3 it was worth a try. I have the Blu-ray which is absolutely fantastic, I cannot praise it highly enough The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)[Region Free]

Unfortunately what many of the other reviewers have reported is true. The sound quality of this recording is sub standard and not anywhere near that of the Blu-ray. The engineering is terrible and whoever setup the microphones needs putting back in his cage at the zoo - I am assuming a chimpanzee was employed to do it as no sound engineer could have made such a mess of things.

The stereo stage is very narrow and lacks any depth, the balance between the artists is never quite right and it lacks the dynamism of the Blu-ray.

OK so for £3 I am not going to cut my wrists but the next trip to the charity shop............
on 5 May 2014
This is now my favourite performance of the Phantom.

I have been captivated ever since I was bought the album of the original cast on vinyl. We have bought dvd's and cd's of the various performances over the years, including of course the movie. We have seen it twice in London.

I never thought anything would beat the magic and chemistry of the Brightman/Crawford performances but Sierra Boggess is just stunning in the role and is without doubt my favourie "Christine".

This is a great production and well worth watching even if you have seen previous versions.
on 28 November 2014
I am an enthusiastic fan of this production in every way.
What I find so strange in reviews like these is the sheer diversity of the opinions.
From cruelty to unabashed adulation.....all life is here!
And I suppose that it will always be so.
In a wishful sort of way, it would be nice if some reviewers could tone down the cruel aspect and be more
aware that performers also perhaps read these reviews. It's a thought that might temper the more cruel type of review.
I am being wishful of course!
on 5 June 2015
Fell in love with this version of Phantom, now i can listen to it wherever and whenever i want! I'll tell you what blasting the phantom of the opera on the morning of my last exam made me feel ten times better. The emotion of Ramin's incredible singing comes right through he makes me cry every time with his reprise of all i ask of you which can be quite awkward when you have to explain to a random stranger why you have tears streaming down your face on the bus ride home...... Totally worth buying though.
on 7 February 2012
Got this as a gift for parent, but have seen it too. Very good, amazing how they fit all into a small stage area,
the cast are many more than in the theatre show as well! Very good in their parts. The sets are bril; & a back
screen works well. A small minor sound problem with a microphone in some parts,
(it is a live performance so things happen!) overlooking that this is well worth buying.
At the end there is an extra half hour or so of A.L.W. speech & intro's of past casts & some
songs.
on 28 June 2012
Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess and Hadley Fraser are the perfect cast for this phenomenal show and their voices compliment each other perfectly, (massive fan of all three,) the raw passion and emotion in this soundtrack is so clear.

There are a few long periods of time where there is just clapping and for some reason they cut out Sarah Brightman singing at the end, but nothing is perfect so.

Constantly playing it when i cant watch the dvd, so beautiful. <3
on 5 October 2015
Decided to order this as I have loved the music for a long time and wondered if this special show would be worth while. The answer is a resounding yes! The spectacular chandelier crash is missing but the performances were amazing . Ramin Karimloo gave great depth of soul to the Phantom and my favourite, Hadley Fraser made Raoul a fully rounded character not just a spoiled posh boy but a real romantic hero. Music and performances second to none, a real treat for any music lover
on 14 December 2011
This is the live recording of the most amazing performance of Phantom at the Royal Albert Hall. A must have for all Phantom fans
on 30 January 2015
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this Phantom of the Opera with Ramin and Sierra. They are a perfectly matched couple. Both Ramin and Sierra have amazing voices that make me melt. Love Hadley Fraser's voice too. Great cast. I listen to this during my hour commute to work and returning home. It makes the bad traffic and horrific drivers non-existent when I'm listening to this Royal Albert The Phantom of the Opera. Maria of Maryland USA and Toronto Canada.
on 18 May 2015
Absolutely fantastic. A great live recording from the 25th Anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall, with a super cast!

Endless applause at the last two tracks is a little annoying, but easily skipped over! The finale with 5 different phantoms is also a real treat, but be warned - Sarah Brightman's song is not on this album, you will have to watch the dvd for that.