5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!
Published on 29 Nov 2011 by Barbara W. Robbins

3.0 out of 5 stars Substnadard
Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Cb Browning

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!, 29 Nov 2011
I have read the other reviews and responses, and while I agree with the criticisms of those who only gave this wonderful CD 3 stars, I feel that there is enough there to make up for any flaws that are most likely due to the fact that this is a live CD, and most likely a rushed one. I came from the States and was there for all three performances; I ordered the CD from Amazon UK so I would not have to wait until February to get it. I love Ramin Karimloo as Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine, and there is little if any problem in this CD to take away from their glorious passion and voices, and that awesome booming organ at the Royal Albert Hall. I get cold chills every time I hear those opening chords. I have attended Phantom at Her Majesty's many times, and I certainly noticed the ensemble being so much fuller at this celebration. Of course the ensemble is better than usual; it is made up of singers like Simon Bailey (former Raoul at Her Majesty's), Killian Donnelly (current Raoul at Her Majesty's), and Sophia Escobar, (current Christine at Her Majesty's). Yes, it is most regrettable that Sarah Brightman's performance is not on the CD; I can only assume that there was a copy write problem, because it was a glorious rendition. Michael Crawford, I'm sure, chose not to sing, and there is nothing anyone could do about that. He was offered the opportunity I am sure. He did not even show up until the last performance; he was not present for the first two. Perhaps he felt he could no longer do the music justice? Who knows? Yes, I also agree that sometimes one has to adjust the sound because the music is louder than the spoken parts, but again the fuller ensemble, and the more modern orchestration (I mean I even heard an electric guitar in a number or two!) more than makes up for any flaws in the engineering. . I much prefer this rendition over the original. The applause captures the excitement of the audience. I , for one, am glad for a new CD
of "The Phantom of the Opera."

3.0 out of 5 stars Substnadard, 15 Nov 2011
Cb Browning - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Phantom Of The Opera At The Royal Albert Hall (MP3 Download)
Now before the backlash starts I am a huge Phan and I loved every moment of the anniversary special, but I am disappointed with this cd/mp3 release. Why? Quite simply the standard of the recording. I appreciate that this was filmed live, but there are some criminally long stretches of just sheer applause (grand finale I am looking at you) and in certain places (the opening Overture) the sound quality is not up to par. Sienna Borgess and Ramin Karimiloo sound fantastic as usual, and it is wonderful to have a CD with the whole score and not just snippets of this like the original, but the most criminal thing of all, having the 3= minute introduction in the grand finale of simply applause then ALW talking, to introduce Sarah Brightman... and then immediately skip her wonderful rendition of Phantom to do the group/four phantoms music of the night.

I saw the show so know she definitely sang this and whilst I appreciate this may be for legal reasons I find the exclusion rather baffling, especially as everything else, including the long applauses have been present in their full glory. It almost makes the last track redundant as, as great as the Four phantoms singing is, it doesn't provide the full experience I was hoping for.

Never the less still a must buy for true phans, although for newcomers I would still recommend the original 1986 soundtrack, or if you must the movie soundtrack (yes I know) as they at least benefit from the production values of a studio recorded album.

One hopes that maybe ALW will reunite the cast from this and record this in the studio , but this is unlikely, maybe in another 5 years we will have the album this should have been, until then this is still a wonderful album, just disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound Quality Fail...., 5 Dec 2011
G. Morgan (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
I was dearly hoping to be be able to give this a 5-star review...have seen the Blu-Ray and it is breathtaking....so I was just a mite disappointed to get this through the post and put it on to hear a poorly mixed (almost all voices come from the "centre" - no seperation at all....not to mention the frequent muddy sound) and actually extremely QUIET CD. I know the arguments for/agaionst the "loudness" wars, so please don't think I am saying that it should be deafening....but for it to be this quiet is simply not right.

A 5 Star show, turned into a 3 star CD. Not what I hoped for, and far better is possible (the soundtrack of the Blu-Ray is vastly superior in quality and mixing).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performances,, 28 Dec 2011
Having attended the 25th Anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall, I can say that the recording definitely does the live performances justice. The cast sounds fantastic, and the orchestra very rich and full. My main criticism, however, is that the recording was not edited properly for CD. I agree with other reviewers that the length of applause should have been reduced, and I also think that some of the tracks should have been editted more carefully for CD. For example, some of the musical and spoken libretto that leads up to the main songs could have been cut(they look great on stage and are appropriate for the DVD, but not always for a CD where the listener has no idea what is going on), or at least they could have split it into more tracks instead of making songs such as 'Wandering Child,' the prelude leading into 'Don Juan triumphant' and 'Past the Point of No Return' into one massive track. That having been Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess sound as superb of as they did in the Royal Albert Hall, as do the rest of the cast and the orchestra. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 14 Dec 2011
This is the live recording of the most amazing performance of Phantom at the Royal Albert Hall. A must have for all Phantom fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive complete recording of a masterpiece, 5 Dec 2011
It is very nice to have the full musical complete in CD Audio. While the Original London Cast is better (the voices and musical passion of both Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford are very difficult to be surpassed), this performance is of high quality, and for a Phan like me, it is an incredible gem to have what seems the most complete version of the musical to date.

As for the potential problems in some of the tracks, well, I have heard them in both the CD-Audio and downloaded version, so, until I wait for the DVD to be received, they seem to me as some special effects. For example, in the Overture, they seem like electrical discharges from the chandelier. Not very sure, but they don't seem defects in the recording, though they are not very pleasant and, IMHO, shouldn't have been included in the audio version.

Some of the songs are slightly different from the OLC orquestration, but after two or three listenings, you finally are used to them. Sierra Boggess and Karimloo are splendid in their performance.

A must-have for any phan, and especially for anyone who likes the wonderful Andrew Lloyd Webber's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE STORY GOES....................., 30 Nov 2011
.....that the Phantm of the Opera was ultimately a gift from Sir Andrew to Sarah Brightman - being written around here and her voice/role and as a fan of hers here absence is always sadly missed. That said, if it wasn't for the applause, I would never have guessed this was a live recording and the sound quality does exceed the studio recording that I have, in places. Good reminder of the event and some good performances, without being the household names associated with such musicals.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Quality, 3 Dec 2011
Unfortunately some of the tracks on this CD seem to be damaged. I'm already on my second CD and it has exactly the same problem as the first. The Overture on CD1 seems to be damaged, it's not applause but crackling and interference which is shocking.

I don't know whether to try ordering again but twice with both CD's having the same problem?

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 July 2014
A must for all Andrew Lloyd Webber fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014