Format: MP3 Download|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 November 2011
it's great that so many sampler albums are being made available for free on Amazon. This is one of the best that has been issued recently; Some really good tracks serving as a fine introduction to many artists you might never have heard of but who deserve your attention.
One listen to track 1 from the Felice Brothers had me rushing to buy Celebration Florida, (£4.99 at the time of typing- more than worth every penny),from which another track, Ponzi, is also taken.
I've since looked up Loose records and I thInk I'll be investigating more of their output. All power to them for making really interesting music available.
on 18 December 2011
A cracking piece of Americana from Loose, which I see is Europe's premier Americana and Alt Country label. I can see why. Nicely-chosen selection of tracks with two each from the excellent Felice Brothers, destinctive singer and Puetorican New Yorker Alynda Lee Segarra (appearing as Hurray for the Riff Raff) and CSNY/Neil Young-influenced LA band Dawes. Even with Brett Sparks' Cohen-deep vocals (The Handsome Family) and Jim White's more traditional approach, these artists are as far removed from standard Country & Western as a beret on an ice floe. Excellent stuff, highly recommended and, hey, it's free, so give it a listen!
on 15 January 2012
This is a various artists compilation, with the overall feel being of country, alt or otherwise, or soft rock. My favourite track is Rambler by Jim White, of whom I'd not heard before. A simple story, the verses being semi-spoken, of an old car being renovated and returned to the roads, sorry highways. 'This car is a rambler, a rambler American, in my humble opinion, the best car there's ever been, made in the USA,' as he sings in the chorus. The Felice Brothers' Ponzi has a spoken dialogue intro, which seems to be setting the scene for a Hitchcock movie or something. I'm not really sure what the song is about, but it becomes quite frantic, with various shouting backing vocals, and is enjoyable enough. 'Speeding Motorcycle, let's go, let's go', so sings Jim White and friends to the accompaniment of frantic guitars, in the song Speeding Motorcycle. The Handsome Family ask a series of questions such as 'Have you seen the rain?" & 'Will you come and hear the frogs singing', and ask various members of the family to Come Outside And See, in the song of the same name. A sort of old fashioned gospelly sort of song with electric guitars. The lead singer of Dawes sings of wanting to be the president just to have his face on a million dollar bill. I love the idea of that. The song is about heartbreak and longing, with piano, guitars and backing vocals. A gently picked banjo accompaniment begins Too Much Of A Good Thing, by Hurrah For The Riff Raff, and is soon joined by an acoustic guitar riff. A trumpet or some other brass instrument provides the solo in this gentle and haunting song. I began in the middle, because the album, perhaps rather short at just under 40 minutes, had reached that point by the time I began my review. Now to start again. The albums opener is by The Felice Brothers. It opens slowly and builds up to a frenetic 'everybody calm down, please stop shouting' chorus. It seems to about zombies, with papa 'dead and buried and he walks into town.' No wonder mama was mad. Great stuff. Lovely acoustic strumming, and slide guitars introduce Take Me, a song of rejection by Hurrah For The Riff Raff. There's a classic George Harrison sort of feel to this track. Time Spent In Los Angeles by Dawes has an upbeat sound, great singable chorus, and a Hammond organ riff (or what sounds like it) what more do you want? And that's the lot. Nine songs, all good, all enjoyable, mostly by artists I'd not previously heard of. I got this from Amazon for free, but I think it's well worth shelling out for if you want a good introduction to some of these artists.
on 3 September 2012
I got this as a free download, I probably wouldn't have paid for it and I'm pretty glad I didn't.

Firstly, I must say I am not a particularly musically sophisticated person. I am not someone who knows immediately who sings every song, attends festivals or has a lot of "rare" recordings. I would suggest that I am not the intended customer to buy this album and a lot of people may well enjoy it.

I found listening to this a real mish mash and not an enjoyable selection of music. Take Me and Time Spent In Los Angeles are not bad, pretty mellow, pretty melodic, with some upbeat tones. However, other tracks like the opener, Fire At The Pageant, are in my opinion dire.

In closing though, I think it's fair to say that this is broadly the point of a sampler album. I found a couple of tracks that I liked, though not enough to want to explore the artist further, and others I didn't. Many reading this who are more open to exploration within their musical tastes, may well feel very differently and even if they dislike half the album, may like the rest of it enough to look into the recording artists further.

Not for me, I'm glad I got it free, but I can see why some would like it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 January 2012
I got this as a free download from Amazon, but they now appear to be charging for it. As a free download it's definitely worth getting, and hearing some artists and music you may not have heard before. If you enjoy New Country, you will probably like it and in any case it's free, so no complaints! I don't know why Amazon are now charging for this sampler, but you can still get the free download from the Loose Music Website. I'll give the free download five stars, but I wouldn't pay £7.99, which is Amazon's asking price at the time of writing this review!
on 9 December 2011
If you are still unaware of the likes of Steve Earl and similar,this is a good start to understanding what people classify as "new" country.My personal favourites on here,both tracks by Dawes,"Million Dollar Bill" And "Time Spent In Los Angeles"- just my choice,so sue me!
Yours,Reviewingly,Jinx.
on 26 December 2012
Easy to listen to - not bad for a freebie!! Only bought it as it was free!
Not my usual taste in music though!
on 8 December 2011
this is a good mp3 ablum the track a good and is good ot lisen to it is groovie and a good bit of country
on 14 November 2011
This is a free download and I was really looking forward to hearing it as New Country has spurned many great new artists. Unfortunately this download contains nothing new and everything on it you'll have heard before in some form or another done years ago by artist much better and creative than these. If you're looking for something new, then look elsewhere.This Is Loose