5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! A must have!
I love this book....if I'd bought this book when I'd been a beginner knitter it would have been brilliant! There are so many ideas...sparks of inspiration...references...information.I say this is an invaluable addition to any knitters bookshelf!
Published on 10 Mar 2012 by Mrs Tebay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much real content...
A helpful book for a new knitter just discovering what's out there, I suppose. It's basically a guide to the knitting community rather than knitting itself. If you've been around yarny crafts for a while or are looking for practical help with knitting/designing, though, you'll probably find this book a bit pointless.

While the checklists of things to try are...
Published 20 months ago by Blu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! A must have!, 10 Mar 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much real content..., 1 May 2013

While the checklists of things to try are cute, there are no actual patterns or designing instructions in the book, just names of designers and a few book titles. It has various sections on hats, scarves, mittens etc but has only vague illustrations of different styles rather than photos and links to their patterns. Various lace and colourwork styles are described in a paragraph for each, with a couple of swatches - it's too brief to be of much help, and needs a better list of resources. The hints and tips are hit and miss - some, like the instructions for steeking, are helpful and have photos to guide you. Others (most others) are a paragraph quoting a Big Name Knitter (BNK) and advice to 'look up' their methods. Something simple like a stretchy lace bind-off isn't detailed (or even pictured) - the reader is told again to find these instructions in other knitting books. It could have been a really handy resource, had all these simple, basic instructions been included, but they're not - and those that are are mostly better explained elsewhere.

Instead, the book is full of short skits on BNKs, potted histories of knitting styles, yarn fibres, yarn companies and knitting meet-ups. The photography is lovely (those of yarny-bearing animals especially) and the book does a good job of catering to a UK audience as well as US, with lists of yarn suppliers and fibre festivals. It also has some good ideas for online resources. However, there's nothing new here for someone who's been knitting a while and uses Ravelry already.

In all, I was disappointed with this book. I'd hoped for more actual ideas in it. In reality it reads like a picture book of who's who in the knitting world. Nice, but not very inspiring (or helpful).

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 Dec 2012
This is probably the best knitting related book I have ever purchased. It is so inspiring, encouraging and affirming. At the beginning of each chapter there are lists of to do, try, people to meet etc. I intend to do a lot of these lists, but having them written in a book shows me how far I've developed my skills as a knitter. It is packed full of fascinating information, stories and references. Interviews a lot of designers too. If any knitter asks me which book to recommend above all others, then this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a surprising book, 6 Jan 2013
Christine Einarsson (Iceland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to give to my friend for Christmas. I just took a quick look when it arrived and there was no turning back. I started reading it that same night and bought another gift for my friend. I was going to keep this book for myself. I read it cover to cover and now I'm going to read it again. Just because I love it and because I can ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Aug 2013
I love crafts of all sorts but my heart belongs to knitting soit is nice to see a fun, interesting book dedicated to providing lists on all themes regarding knitting and lots of ideas for things to do to expand your range and experience.

A fun addition to the bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of new ideas, 11 April 2013
Book is full of new ideas and inspiration! I learnt so many new things about knitting from that book. I would've recommend it every knitter from beginner to expert!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you could have just one book on knitting in your life, this is the one to buy!, 8 Jun 2014
I ordered it as a birthday present for a friend whom I had brought back to knitting. It contains virtually everything about knitting in a very new and creative way. Even as an longtime, expert knitter I found a lot of new and not yet known information and impulses....
So despite I own already a whole bookshelf with beautiful knitting books, I had to buy a copy of this one for myself as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Sep 2014
Bought for a present, friend likes it.