I bought this as a replacement for my old Garmin Foretrex 101 that I'd been using on the bike. This is a far more simple unit aimed purely at cycling as opposed to being a general GPS unit.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it's come in very handy, including using it to navigate a 57 mile route this Sunday just gone.

I have to say, I...
Published 13 months ago by Robert J. Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well in it's own way but ....
I took my first dip into GPS bike computers with this, I can only echo most of the sentiment here that it's easy to setup and use - it's great not to have to fiddle with magnets and bits of wire anymore to mount the thing. The battery seems to last forever and the integration into Garmin's online portal is a nice touch.

However, there seems to be a big problem...
Published 21 months ago by T. Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely understated and under sold by Garmin's own sales blurb..., 17 Jun 2013
Robert J. Frost "frosty" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)

I have to say, I love the thing.

It's small, but not too small to be difficult to see.
It's waterproof. No worrying about using it in the rain.
It's simple. The user interface has been reduced to the bare essentials so makes for easy navigation of all the options.
It lasts hours and hours. I can't envisage a possibility of having the battery run out on this thing.
Garmin plugins for the web browser means you can upload activities to Garmin Connect straight over the web. No messing about with gpx files etc.
It can be used for both recording data about a ride (as you ride) or can be used to record data about a ride as you follow a course.
The GPS lock is insanely quick. Ignore anyone on Amazon moaning about it. From first use it will seem to take an age to get a lock. This is normal, just keep stationary and wait. After this initial lock, every time you start it up you have a gps lock within a few seconds. My old Foretrex used to take minutes from start every time.
It not too expensive.
It charges quickly from USB.
The "elastic bands" for the mount are very strong.
You get 2 mounts so if you have two bikes, you're laughing.
The quarter turn lock mount means it's very quick and easy to detach / attach to the bike.
Don't worry about using it in Linux. You won't get the plugins for the web browser, but the unit just shows us as a USB drive. New courses go in the Newfiles folder, your recorded ride data lives as .fit files in the activities folder and your stored Courses live in the Courses folder.

However, what amazes me is that nowhere in the Garmin sales blurb does it mention how effective this is as a cheap navigation device. you hardly get to see any screenshots of it anywhere in navigation mode. I'll tell you this: it's very easy to follow routes you have planned on Garmin connect with this, however, what Garmin seem to have left out of the connect site is the ability for this unit to use cue sheet data from a .tcx (the old Garmin Training Centre format) file. If you plan a route on bikeroutetoaster.com you can have it generate a cue sheet automatically (basically a course point at every junction). If you save this as a .tcx file, connect the Garmin Edge 200 to the computer and copy the .tcx file to the NewFiles folder, the next time you turn on the edge 200 it will read the file and save it into the courses folder as a .fit file (like the courses you make on Garmin connect). The difference is that rather than just seeing the breadcrumb trail when you follow a course (as is the case when using courses from Garmin connect) with the bottom line of the display rotating between avg speed, distance etc., you will see a distance and time count down to the next turn. The turns in the course will appear as squares containing left, right or straight on symbols and the unit will beep as you get to them. This is very useful indeed. The breadcrumb display is easy to follow and having the cue sheet markers means you know that you're going to have to do something in xx amount of miles (i.e. make a turn) rather than not knowing if the breadcrumb trail curve is just how the road bends or if it is sending you left / right into a junction.

I have no idea why Garmin doesn't mention this facility or even let you generate courses with cue sheet information in them on Garmin Connect. This is a brilliant feature which I guess most people will not know about. I navigated 57 miles this weekend just using the turn by turn course info as generated from bikeroutetoaster.com as described above and didn't go wrong at all. In route navigation mode the orientation of the route rotates as you cycle along so a left turn on the route is always a left turn, i.e. it doesn't stick with North being up and South down and the rider left wondering which way around he is in relation to the display.

I am talking about following routes you have pre-planned here. This unit doesn't have maps, obviously, so the display is simply the course route with no street information etc, so doesn't have any routing capability of its own. If you miss a turn it will simply beep and tell you you're off course with an arrow pointing in the direction to get back on course.

The only criticism I have of the unit is that when following a course you have now way of seeing your current speed. This is a bit annoying as in many cases you'll want to know where you're going AND see how fast you're doing it! I have to respect that fact though that this is a small display so shoving too much information onto the course view would make it less effective. To get around this I have left my old bike computer (one of the old magnet on wheel types) attached which I use to see the current speed when following a course. Surprisingly I found that the old bike computer was only .6 miles over the Garmin gps measurement after 56 miles. I calculated the difference between the Garmin and the old bike computer and worked out the number of millimeters I needed to change the calibration of the bike computers wheel radius setting to make it match, so the Garmin has been quite handy in turning a piece of old, not quite so accurate kit into something quite useful too.

What it doesn't do: heart rate, cadence, customised data views, mapping etc. If you want this you'll need to be spending some more money. Personally I am not that interested in extra data - so it was nice to see a bobby basic unit, which turned out to be not that basic, being sold for such a good price.

With this unit and the free site bikeroutetoaster.com you've got an ideal setup for planning and following routes and recording the data for Strava. Again, my advice is keep the old cycle computer with the magnet so you can see how fast you're going when doing a pre-planned route (use the GPS unit over a long ride to calibrate the setting) and you're set.

If you're after accurate real time ride data display, or just a good accurate GPS logger for uploading to Strava, you really can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 20 May 2012
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
I am training to do my first triathlon and my aldi cycle computer had just turned up its toes. Rather than buy something similar I wanted a device that could aid me with my running as well. If you have arrived here having trawled the many products out there you may well be in the same cold "how can I justify the price of that" sweat that I was in. The solution came, for me, in the shape of the edge 200. This GPS computer is aimed at cycling as the title gives away but it is compact and light enough to take with you on a run and will record exactly the same information. Thanks to the online set up that Garmin provide I have found it easy to start tracking my progress and a range of different routes. Performance is easy to monitor and with the calander facility on the website you can even include days that you have swum. I am not overly serious about the triathlon but I did want to keep track of any improvements in run and cycle times. I have no need for a heart rate monitor, I think you know if the red-zone is approaching and if I want to measure cadence in either running or cycling then I still have a watch and the ability to count to aid me. If you want a relatively low cost way to improve performance then I have found this an incredibly handy tool and would recommend it to anyone that doesnt want to over-complicate or overspend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a product!, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
Ok i am a very keen Road and MTB rider, i normally used my iPhone to track my progress but it just kills the battery life and the cycle computers that have magnets and wires are just not accurate at all. This bad boy is unreal, it lasts for hours and hours without even touching the battery really, my phone is still charged and its really accurate, either just get on your bike and go for a ride and it tracks everything via GPS and upload it all to the computer or read the info on the screen, OR plan a route in advance and follow the little map, its not a detailed map, just a line, but what more do you need? i have done 35+ mile rides in places i have never been and followed the map absolutely fine. You can race or personal times or other people around the country that have done sections of your routes. This who product is wires and uses just GPS so no ugly un accurate wires all over your bike! LOVE IT! If you ride for fun/excersise and want a 5* cycle computer you HAVE to buy this.... every cyclist should have one and its not at all expensive for what you get! BUY BUY BUY!

P.s I recommend you use the Strava website to upload your rides rather than Garmin connect, as its better and you can set privacys from your start and finish locations so it doesn't give away your house where you expensive bike lives! Use Garmin connect to plan your rides and Strava for everything else :-) Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
I am very pleased with this device. I was given a gift voucher for Amazon and it matched the promotional price for the Garmin 200 so I decided to buy it.
I have bike computers on my bikes but the Garmin 200 has features that I find very informative and useful.
It acquires a signal within seconds
It automatically uploads maps and statistics of all your rides on Garmin Connect and MapMyRide.
It allows you to set goals and courses to help motivate you. It comes with two mounts so switching from on bike to another is a so easy.
I am not a competitive cyclist so I am not interested in a device that records heart rate and cadence but I take part in sportive and long distance events and find the Garmin has added interest to my spins.
The only gripe is that there is no clock displayed when you are moving along.
Other than that I am delighted with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant little Gismo, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
This is a great little GPS - it does everything you could ever wish for on a road bike. Speed, distance, time, elevation, calores burnt - it will even follow a pre-loaded route. Beats the old style magnet sensor computers hands down. My only criticism is the instruction handbook, which I thought inadequate. However, the Edge is fairly intuitive, so not a big problem. The Garmin website, where you can download and store store all your rides is excellent. lI don't regret buying the Garmin Edge 200 for a minute, and would recommend it to any serious cyclist.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well in it's own way but ...., 25 Oct 2012
T. Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)

However, there seems to be a big problem with its precision. There's a course feature, where you record a specific route then race yourself against it with the aim of beating your time. It's pretty addictive, however I've found the unit isn't accurate enough to correctly follow your route, in particular it cannot find the end of your course when you get there (leaving you frantically trying to cycle into what it thinks is the right spot as the clock counts down), so any performance increases go unacknowledged. I've come to the conclusion that when I'm told that the "position is acquired" it's telling a little porkie.

Whilst it's a decent cycle computer and a good first choice for the part time cyclist, I'd go for something else next time.

Oh, the lack of a clock on the course screen is slightly annoying too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the enjoyment back into cycling, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
For the past 13 years I've been using a Garmin Etrex GPS device with a handlebar mount for my cycling. It's great, it takes AA batteries (spares are easy to carry); allows me to create routes on my PC and upload to the Etrex; Displays speed / average speed; allows me to upload my GPS tracks to Garmin Connect.

Why would I need another GPS device? It was a difficult decision. My cycling has stagnated over the past few months and I needed something to get me cycling again. Buying a Garmin Edge 200 was an excellent decision as it's got me cycling again.

All of my courses are now on Garmin Connect's web site. I can download a course to my Edge and cycle against a virtual cyclist. I can even download other people's courses and cycle against them "virtually".

The LCD resolution of the Edge has blown away the resolution on my ageing Etrex. The battery last for yonks - I've cycled for 1 hour and the battery is still at 100%.

The screen shows several different pages as your cycling. A map of your route (plus the virtual cyclist); a "side by side" view of the virtual cyclist and how far they are behind (or in front) in seconds / distance. It also has a stats page displaying speed (higher or lower than the average speed), average speed, total climb, time and distance cycled / remaining.

I used to use a Polar heart rate monitor and contemplated getting the Edge 500 (which has HR), but the chest strap are a pain to wear and they slide down to my (trim) belly. I'm glad I picked the Edge 200 instead.

The Garmin Connect site is one of the best tools for creating courses. I've previously used Memory Map, but the courses don't "stick" to the road. On Garmin Connect, the routes automatically stick. You can try Garmin connect without buying a device if you want to have a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 200, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
Advised by a friend to get one glad i took his advice easy to set up and even easier to ise have used tracking devices on phone beats it hands down a serious must buy for cyclists and the cheapest price for it on the net at the time i bought it thankuyou amazon :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward to use, does what it says on the tin., 3 Jun 2012
T (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
A function-pact little gadget that fits in the palm of a childs hand. Very quick to charge, very easy to use, very simple to mount. 'Nuff said.

The Edge is a GPS-based cycle computer (and thus more accurate and reliable than the ones that rely on a magnet attached to the wheel) that ostensibly acts as an odometer but which also allows you to store your favourite routes as courses and match your performance against previously recorded laps. There's also total ascent and calories burned (based on entering the riders weight so it is a little more accurate than most calorie "guesstimates") and the data can be downloaded to your PC and displayed on a map via Garmin Connect on their website. The device is also compatible with Garmin's BaseCamp application, which many will be familiar with if they have a Garmin Nuvi in-car sat-nav.

The Edge has a very simple mounting system which requires no tools - a moulded plastic clip and O-rings. The box includes a spare mount and O-rings (or is it a second mount for people with, say, a racer and a mountain bike?!) and the actual device clips in with a 90-degree turn. Simples.

All in all, I'm pleased with it so far. It's light, locks on to the satellites extremely quickly and is easy to use. It also comes from a family of products with a proven track record (I still use my Garmin eMap which must be getting on for twelve years old now. If it ain't broke don't fix it, so why would I want to throw it away for a newer product when the old one still works?).

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycling Computer (Electronics)
This unit is excellent, without hesitation I can recommend the edge as outstanding value for money.

I love the ease which it can be moved between bikes, so you no longer need a speedo for each bike.

Garmin connect is a superb place to store & analyse your ride data, set goals and plan/review your rides.

The virtual racer is a real plus which enables you to either race against yourself on a ride you have previously done, or against somebody else's ride that you can download to the unit, or you can create a new ride/set an average MPH and then pace yourself against it.

It is not a full gps directional system and should not be purchased expecting it will tell you where to go, the point of this unit is that it uses gps to record where you have been.

Yes I would love to be able to afford a full gps, but how often due you really get lost and if you own a smartphone which presumably you take with you on the ride for emergencies then you can always use that on the rare occasion when you do get lost..

5 stars..........!