5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book, incredible recipes.....
Ordered this on a whim, and im so pleased I did.

Tommie makes everything sound incredible, but she has also made everything as anglo-friendly as she can, knowing that authenticity is useless if the ingredients cant be found. OK, so im struggling to get some of the ingredients locally, but there is a handy guide to local, national and web retailers we can...
Published on 24 May 2010 by Adam Millward

1.0 out of 5 stars Simple? Not in my world!
The recipes may be simple(?), once you get to the point where you can actually make them. Many recipes call for a few tbsp. of a particular sauce, which you have to make first from a recipe early in the book. Fair enough, but before you can do that, you have to find some of the ingredients - ancho, habanero and chipotle chillies are not commonly found in the north of...
Published 15 months ago by Beth

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple is a relative term, 1 Sep 2013
Nicholas V. Dowling "Nick Dowling" (London England) - See all my reviews
I've made quite a few of the recipes from this book, and all have turned out well. For most I would recommend that you have a food processor - Mexicans may well be willing to spend hours grinding and chopping ingredients, but I'm afraid I have other things to do. The author gives alternatives for most of the specialist ingredients, but you will find it hard to make a lot of these recipes without some chipotle. The book lists a selection of specialist sources for ingredients and I paid a visit to Casa Mexico in Bethnal Green to stock up - but next time I will probably order my stash of chillies by mail. Other items that used to be specialist a few years ago, like cooking chorizo, are available in most big supermarkets.

Simple is a relative term. Some of the recipes are quite involved and involve a lot of ingredients, but the explanations are clear and easy to follow. But don't expect to knock out Mexican meatballs or chile in half an hour after work.

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail the majestic Thomasina, 31 Aug 2013
What a brill book. Now don't get me wrong this is not 30 min cookery! Most of the recipes will require lists at the shops to get the ingredients and will take time to either prepare or cook - but once you have a few under your belt it is great to improvise. If you are a new or nervous cook then this book is great because you really can turn-out amazing food with it. My girl-friends and I have been having Mexican food nights ever since we bought each-other copies of this book :D And let's not forget the cocktails are included in the back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mexican Food, 5 Jun 2012
Many easy to follow recipes with information about ingredients and foods.
Well laid out with the all important pictures of the finished dish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Indeed, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Kindle Edition)
Note - this is specifically a review of the Kindle Edition.

Having watched Thomasina's recent TV series and seeing her 'take' on Mexican food, I was wary as although her recipes are simple and look good she does put her own slant on them. I was doubly wary as I know Kindle editions of some books just don't work - basically anything other than a novel often has navigational 'challenges' and often the pictures/diagrams etc aren't included.

I'm delighted to report that both of my reservations are unfounded - the recipes work well and the Kindle book is simple and easy to use and the illustrations are there (albeit, of course, in monochrome). The facility to download and review a sample proved a godsend with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 13 Aug 2010
Ian Henry (woodthorpe england) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after reading the reviews on Amazon.
It is brilliant; worth buying just for the recipes for guacamole and chilli con carne.
Here is a gifted and proficient chef who is really enthusiastic about her Mexican cuisine.
You really must buy the special types of chilli - chillipantry in Birmingham is cheapest - to experience the different types of hot.
I can't wait to visit her restaurant. My family is getting used to Mexican meals every day this week.
Supermarket kits are a thing of the past!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty mexican food!, 14 Jun 2010
J. Hunt (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I made 5 things from this cookbook this weekend and they were all tasty. Some of the ingredients required might need a bit of searching out, but if what I've made so far is anything to go by, it will be worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 29 May 2010
R. S. Latham (UK) - See all my reviews
A great book offering accessible authentic Mexican cooking. The style of the book is in keeping with many cookery books on the market right now (nice pictures, soft colours, informal language) which makes for a great read and fun cooking experience. I've made a couple of things out of it they've been great. Highly recommended for lovers of street Mexican food as well as those who have eaten in the fantastic Wahaca restaurant :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class book, 8 May 2010
Love this book, always wanted to cook mexican inspired food, this book has helped me achieve this. Its full of great recipes and they are easy to follow. Tomasina rocks cannot wait for her next outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mucho fun, 28 Jun 2010
I bought this book for a friend's birthday as she is a fantastic cook and enjoys nothing more than devouring a new cookbook(not a completely altruistic gesture on my part as I was hoping to be the recipient of fine mexican fayre)The book is a delight to read and we spent a day planning what to cook, going to Borough Market for essentials (we found a good chilli stall, v helpful) and spent 6 hours cooking together. It was a truly fantastic day and the recipes were easy to follow and the flavours were absolutely divine. We made far too much food but the leftovers tasted just as good if not better the next day. Fun is making your own tortillas!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mexican Food, 4 April 2010
JLK "Jan" (North Devon,UK) - See all my reviews
There are some good recipes in this book but it would be more beneficial to have more pictures of these, rather than loads photos of the author

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›