5.0 out of 5 stars AN EPIC CHAPTER!
Published on 19 Nov 2011 by G. Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Humorous but slightly disturbing
Published 18 months ago by Laura Hartley

3.0 out of 5 stars Humorous but slightly disturbing, 7 Jun 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Many of you will probably have been put off watching the latest film adaption of the Twilight saga after the atrocious reviews that it has received, others probably did (the film only received a rating of one star from The Guardian); however, I can't say that I'm surprised at the film's less than warm reception because Twilight is just one of those movies that critics love to hate.

I know Breaking Dawn got a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad reviews, but it really wasn't that bad. To be fair I used to be absolutely obsessed with Twilight so I'm not exactly unbiased but my obsession has almost died away and I still thought the movie was alright. It did take my quite by surprise though because it was really quite a graphic movie, at least it suggested, and sometimes showed, many horrific things. In the UK the film is rated as a 12, but I firmly disagree with this and think that it should be made a 15 - people in America were having seizures! I think that says enough. Another thing - Edward breaks the bed. I highly doubt many parents of 12 year olds really want to explain to their children why he broke the bed.

The film starts with Bella's marriage to Edward Cullen. Then, of course, they fly off to Rio for their romantic honeymoon and everything is well until Bella realises that she's two weeks late. Bella and Edward clearly hadn't been using contraception as they didn't believe that vampire/human babies were even possible. Much to Edward's displeasure, Bella decides to keep the baby; however, the vampire-human hybrid growing inside of Bella is a lot stronger than she is and so she goes through much pain and discomfort and her life is endangered. When the wolf pack hears about Bella's pregnancy, they decide it is a threat to humanity and it must be killed. Jacob, still in love with Bella, cannot accept this and breaks away from the wolf pack. For those of you who don't already know how the story goes, I won't ruin it for you, but for people who've already read the book, I'd say it's pretty obvious where the cut off point for Breaking Dawn part 1.

One thing the movie did for me, was it highlighted the ludicrousness of some of the things that happen in the book. When you're in the 'twilight' zone and getting into the story, you sort of go with the flow and everything seems normal, but when someone actually says the lines outloud, you realise how ridiculous they are. For example, Bella's decision to name her daughter Renesmee if it's a girl, and Edcob if it's a boy seems stupid in the book, but you soon get used to it; however, when Bella actually voices these thoughts out loud, I could only laugh and laugh and laugh. Edcob? Seriously?! It is unclear whether or not this was intentional or not, but Breaking Dawn was quite a funny movie. In fact, it sort of reminded me of Hot Fuzz, because the genre was sort of comedy mixed with horror.

So onto the horror. There are some truly, truly, disturbing scenes in Breaking Dawn, so if you're even vaguely squeamish it would probably be best if you brought a pillow to hide behind. I love horror movies, but, not gonna lie, Breaking Dawn had some freaky s*** in it. Towards the end of the movie, there is a lot of blood, Bella turns into what can only be described as an actual skeleton and then there's the actual birthing scene. Oh the horror. Those who've read the book will know that Edward rips the baby out of Bella - using his teeth. Sure, that's fairly disturbing to read, but actually seeing RPattz with blood all round his mouth holding a bloody baby will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

As expected, the acting was horrendous. No matter how good a person is at acting, I think that when they're cast into a movie like Twilight, they leave all their talent behind. I have seen many other films and television shows that the cast of Twiligt have starred in so I know that they're all very talented and it is a shame that they weren't able to showcase their talents.

I can't really say whether or not I would recommend this to others because I think this is just one of those movies that people will love or hate and almost everybody will already have preconceptions of it. If you're already a twilight fan, then you're almost certainly going to go down to the cinema to watch it this holiday, but brace yourselves for what you will see. If you haven't watched the previous Twilight movies, then this is definitely the wrong one to start with and it will give you completely the wrong impression of the Twilight Saga. If you've seen the other movies, but you don't know what's going to happen in Breaking Dawn, then you're in for a show! Despite it's bad reviews, I still found Breaking Dawn a fairly entertaining, humorous, though slightly disturbing film.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EPIC CHAPTER!, 19 Nov 2011
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2 Disc Limited Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN-PART 1 might have been attacked by critics and called the worst film in the saga, but i completely disagree! It was epic! I can't wait for Part 2. This chapter started out as a comedy but grows slowly darker as the film progresses. I liked the mix! The acting was better than ever. Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and especially Taylor Lautner have all improved. It was extremely true to the book which you rarely see in film adaptions. The CGI was fantastic! The wolves looked great and the action scenes were brilliantly coreographed. There was more romance than ever before and the ending is absolutely amazing. Make sure you stay after the credits because there is another scene that will make you laugh. Overall BREAKING DAWN-PART 1 is perhaps the best in the saga so far! I highly recommend it! EPIC! 10/10!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very tasty story about love and death dancing with wolves, mixing happiness and sadness, despair and hope - and sex and blood!, 16 Nov 2011
Darth Maciek "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I just saw "Breaking Dawn" part 1, and I was VERY impressed, even if as a man I am probably not the most typical fan of "Twilight" series. I rather liked all the "Twilight" movies until now and this one is, to my personnal taste, as good as the previous ones - and even in one aspect a little bit better, as Edward and Bella finally become lovers. Below, you will find a short description of what I believe are the best elements of this film, with very limited SPOILERS:

1. Actors. All actors evolved as the serie continued and I believe they all got better with time. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner are both excellent, but - in my humble opinion - it is Kristen Stewart who in this movie shines the most. Quite a lot of people frequently criticized her actorship claiming that she simply can not play at all and has a very limited assortment of expressions in her tool box. But for me, after reading "Twilight" books, this is how the character of Bella should be. I can hardly picture her wide smiling with all her teeth bared or doing any other highly extraverted things like that. In fact I believe that either by design or by accident Kristen Stewart got the things right about this character - her minimalistic approach to facial expressions actually makes (for me) Bella very believable and also quite likeable. In this part of the story, Bella shows a more dynamic approach to life by taking her destiny firmly under control. She makes important decisions and takes extreme risks, stubbornly resisting the opposite advice of all her family and friends - all of that in a deceptively unassuming way... And Kristen Stewart acted in the movie exactly as I pictured Bella did it, when I read the books. A very good job!

Other actors are also great, with Ashley Greene and Billy Burke being as usual the pillars - but amongst the supporting roles it is Nikki Reed who really gets the most praise from me. She has a much bigger role in this film and she is perfect in it! The one (little) disappointment is Jackson Rathbone, who changed comletely his haircut for this film and as a result his character, Jasper, seems much less impressive, which is a pity. He also seems to appear very little in the "first line", almost as if the director preferred to hide him a little...

2. Visual aspects. As usual, the images of state of Washington are great - dark forests filled with (were)wolves are very much present here and they are a great background for the story. The tropical island where Bella and Edward spend their honey moon is also very pleasantly showed.

3. Music. As usual in those series, music and songs have been selected very carefully and with a great taste.

4. The (were)wolf pack. The Quileute wolves are shown here even more and better than in the previous part. The scene of their war council, when they are all in the werewolf form, is absolutely great! The scene when Sam (the alpha male) asserts and confirms his power over the pack is excellent - as good as the description of Jacob's defiance and its consequences.

5. The wedding. A very nice and moving scene with some humour elements, especially when the guests make speeches offering toasts. Emmett, Jessica and Bella's father give here a great show. In the same time Mike Newton obsesses on vampire bridesmaids from the Denali clan, to the point of drooling (and I TOTALLY understand him!). Bella's mum and, suprprise surprise, Rosalie (!) are also real treasures in wedding scenes.

6. Quileute wolves vs. Cullen coven confrontation. This heartbreaking, tense and at moments violent conflict in which both sides are trapped against their will is a great moment in the Twilight saga - and its final resolution is even better! Finally it is true what the Beatles were singing - all you need is love! Babies help too...

7. The fight for Bella's life, Renesmee's bloody birth and Bella's fate - excellent! Those were moments very difficult to film - but the challenge was met succesfully! Nothing more about it to avoid more spoilers, but I was very impressed!

Conclusion: it is an excellent movie which I watched with great pleasure. My wife, who usually is a much harder person to please, loved it too and she is going to see it again with some girlfriends. And we will certainly both wait with great expectations for the "Breaking dawn" part 2. If it was done as well as that one, it will be certainly worth waiting one year to see it...

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON BLU-RAY (21 March 2012): This item has a printing error on the outer packaging which lists a special feature that is not included. This feature is listed as: "Filming The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1: A New Beginning, The Wedding, The Honeymoon". According to amazon, this feature was never meant to be on the Blu Ray version and was only ever present on the 2 disc special edition. However, after buying it, I received from amazon a message informing me, that the distributor is producing a disc with the special feature on it FOR FREE for customers who would like it. I was instructed just to email my amazon order number and my adress to the distributor to receive the upgraded Bly Ray disc FREE of any charge, including shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 24 Feb 2012
Anja (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
What can I say about Twilight? I've never bothered much to read the books,or watch the movies for that matter, but I saw girls/women around me in awe about this. Edward this, Edward that, Robert Pattinson here and there. So after watching Vampire Diaries I got curious and started watching Twilight. Within 20 minutes I was hooked. Can't let go anymore, ordered the books, ordered all the movies there are and following everything now very closely.

Feel a little embarrassed because I'm a 35 y/o woman that is totally hooked on the characters (book as wel as the people portraying them on screen) and keep rewatching over and over and over again. I actually feel a bit empty inside when I'm done watching, so I start from the beginning again haha!

I love the story, the special effects in the movie, it's just such a great big love. You shouldn't overthink it all too much. I know people are saying well how stupid is that, she has to die in order to be with him, he is too protective and overbearing. But don't look at that. Look at why she wants to become a vampire and why he acts around her the way he does. It's their love. And that love is amazing and I would wish for everybody in the world.

So read the books, watch the movies. You'll have a lovestory for life :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film of a fine book, 5 Dec 2011
I've been an enthusiastic reader of all the Twilight Saga books, and have enjoyed all the movies (even New Moon - criticised by many for what was only its faithfulness to the book). The Breaking Dawn novel blew me away: the best and strongest of the lot, harrowing and exhilarating to read; and I couldn't imagine how they would be able to film it in anything like the same spirit - especially the graphic horror of Renesmee's birth, which I know has been a step too far for some; and equally difficult, the culmination of Edward and Bella's vampire-and-mortal love.
I needn't have worried. The movie did the best possible job of filming the unfilmable in the only sensible way, by sketching these awesome moments in quick flashes that anyone familiar with, and appreciative of, the books would follow without difficulty. Marvellous! Even more than I had dared to expect.
At this point, unsympathetic reviewers (and the "haters", who only contribute to spread a little venom on something they've never liked) say, "But what about people who haven't read the books?" To which I'd reply, "Then go read them, and give them a proper chance; and THEN go see the movies again. If you still don't like the books, then don't presume to comment on something you'll never understand."

1.0 out of 5 stars Twilight - The Wedding Scene, 3 Aug 2014
To say the Wedding is long and drawn out is unfair to that popular past time of watching paint dry.
Kristen Stewart's acting was more robotic and plastic than a barbie doll that had been abused with super glue. Then we get to the part with shimmering Vampires and Werewolves.
I spent most of the film wishing that Blade or Lestat would appear and evicerate the entire cast and give the girl something to actually cry about.
I turned the film off after the honey moon and odd love scene resulting in the Cullen lad giving emo pose #452 and worrying about hurting the girl. Frankly I was wishing he would get all super crazy blood rage and rip her head off.
Alas this did not happen and I realised my bathroom wall was going from ocean blue to aqua blue as I was watching, so I promptly turned the slop off and went to continue watching paint dry.
Frankly only the 3rd movie I have ever turned off in my life. Utter garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to spend two hours, 30 Nov 2011
Le Blaireau (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a number of decades from Stephanie Meyer's target audience, and probably the wrong sex too. Others can talk better than I on the details of the plot. I'd just like to say how nice it was (and I include the previous three films here too) to find a film that basically gets on with telling a good story, at a good pace, allowing you to engage with the characters, and which you come out of just thinking "that was excellent". Other films may go deeper, but you can watch those on other days, in different moods. There's room for both.

I think all the adaptations of the books have been first rate, and it bodes very well for the final instalment next year. Top marks to all concerned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious let down!, 20 Sep 2012
If you like me thought the first installment of the Twilight saga was the best, it captured the emotions, scenes and characters to perfection then this one is a major let down.

Very very slow to get going and when it does nothing much happens, nowhere near enough emphasis on why Bella is suffering so much and not enough time was spent on her turning moments.

The special effects as expected were great especially the ones when Bella is pregnant but having been a huge fan of the Twilight saga since the first book was released I was left really disappointed with this film, also the vampire characters are not getting better looking but worse looking with every film that is released, seriously look back at all the characters in the first film then look at this one??? What is going on!!! I understand they are aging in reality but come on!

I wouldn't recommend this film but if you like me have bought the others then yeah get it, at least your collection won't look out of place with one missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars twilight breaking dawn, 4 Sep 2012
i am hopelessly addicted to the twilight franchise i don,t think it matters what age you are and a lot of us older ladies get are romance where we can get it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 29 Aug 2013
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Bought this when the cost has substantially decreased as as much as i loved the books , the films werent up to par, however i do have all the others and needed to complete the set.

Good value at less than 4 quid.