Troll Hunter [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£6.88+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

When bears are found dead in Norway, the students of the Volda University Thomas, Johanna and the cameraman Kalle decide to investigate.

They stalk the trailer of mysterious hunter Hans expecting to find an explanation for the killings.

The reluctant Hans tries to flee from the youngsters, but he agrees that they film him in action provided the follow his orders.

Sooner the trio of students learns that Hans is actually a troll hunter that works for a secret government agency.

Several dangerous trolls have escaped from their territory and Hans is assigned to eliminate them...

First off, I didn't think that this was a guy looking for every Blu Ray copy of one of the worst films ever made, and secondly I didn't think for one moment it would be as god as what it's been made out to be.

How wrong can I be? From the upstart, this film is probably the most fun 'found footage' movie mad since the first one, and for me, it's more entertaining than the Blair Witch, because the film isn't out to be the scariest movie ever, it wants to be the Spielberg of Found Footage, and almost manages it.

The cast are all having a ball here, and once we finally see what we have been wanting to see, it doesn't disappoint, and turns it into one of the greatest movie events of 2011.

It's as if the director ups the ante for the trolls each time we meet a new one, like a video game, they get that little bit more difficult as the film progresses.

There are sub-plots to do with rabies and the government, and a brilliant nod to the 'The three Billy Goats Gruff', but then there is the ending.

Once the crew venture into the little cabin, it all reminds me of 'Saving Private Ryan', the scene where we can hear the tanks coming for a while but not seeing them? They do exactly the same with this, but it's a Troll screaming. and every time the camera zooms out of the window, you look as far as the eye can see, and hope to see the giant Troll from a long way off.

The film doesn't disappoint, and you may even find yourself feeling a little empathy for the final Troll.

See the film, believe the hype.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The buzz around this film means that it is a must see for any serious `world cinema' fan, so I finally got to see it. I was not expecting too much, but was really impressed by this little gem from Norway. It is a dark fantasy told as a mockumentary from `found tapes. It tells of a group of students from Volda College, who have heard about an illegal bear hunter. They decide as part of their project that they will interview him and maybe even get some action shots.

They track down Hans (played brilliantly by Norwegian comedian Otto Jespersen) who is less than willing to talk to him. He drives a customised Land Rover that is so beaten up it would get a Vehicle Rectification Notice if my local Constabulary saw it on the road. So the plucky youngsters decide that they will follow him when he goes out at night. What they run into is given away by the title of the film and Hans decides to let them film him and the Fairy Tale Troll hunts as he is sick of the job.

What happens along the way is a story of how the group survive whilst tracking down rogue trolls. So is it any good? Well I absolutely loved it, it is done in chronological order as the tapes were found and is supposed to be a `rough cut', so it can jump around, but it adds to the authenticity of the thing that there are so many cuts. Obvious comparisons to `The Blair Witch Project' are fine, but this is way better than that. The special effects are good to amazing and the folklore around trolls is brilliant, we even get all the science as to why they either blow up or turn to stone when exposed to sunlight, and the whole blood of a Christian thing is thrown into the mix too. Add to that the over enthusiastic teen agers, a government conspiracy, some dodgy Polish Painters (Bear killers) and you have a whole smorgasbord of fun and action.

Director André Øvredal has done a brilliant job of getting the most from a relatively unknown cast, and has made a truly original film, So original in fact that Hollywood have already snapped up the remake rights, so see the original first. It is in Norwegian with great sub titles but also has an English dub alternative. Either one you choose this is a brilliant film that shows what a bit of imagination and some talent can do, highly recommended.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I originally saw this in the cinema a couple of years ago and have seen it twice on blueray since. The film holds up very well to repeated viewing though I always felt the sound was such an important aspect of Troll Hunter that you can lose a slight bit of immersiveness on a smaller screen particularly if you don't have a full surround system.
Ok it's another found footage film. I groaned in the cinema when this became apparant from the opening credits. I have to say though that this lends itself very well to this sub genre. It is quite amusing to present something so outlandish as a true series of events and compliments the black humour that is the backbone of the film. I liked the little touches intertwinned with Scandinavian folklore, the trolls sensitivity to believers in God and being able to sniff them out etc.
Set in stunning Norway the setup is very familiar, a trio of independent film-makers discover a government led conspiracy to keep secret and control the numbers of various sub-species of trolls that roam the Norwegeian landscape occasionally killing those unlucky enough to encounter them.
The trolls range in size with some as big as mountains and the story is intriguing, well presented, visuals and sound are stunning and good fun. It's really silly to be slating Troll Hunter for how the trolls are depicted. They're trolls, they don't exist and their representation here is very well done and suits the tone of the film. A good film for people who don't take life completely seriously, are not adverse to the absurdities of life and enjoys good film-making regardless of the genre.
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 9 September 2014
This is a marvellous tongue in cheek fantasy. This "mockumentary" presumes to expose a terrible secret in its native country, Norway, namely that the Norwegian government is culpable for covering up the existence of giant trolls in the wilderness. The mockumentary is derived from the found footage of three university film-makers, who have gone missing, and comprises film taken by the students with handheld cameras, proving the existence of these trolls. The content is frequently hilarious, showing the haphazard efforts of the students to trace these mythical beings, and the mayhem which ensues whenever a troll turns up. The trolls are huge, predatory, and exceptionally dumb, they live in caves and the woods, and prey on sheep and tourists. Their lack of intelligence sometimes makes it quite easy for professional troll hunters to trap them, and one of these professionals assists the students with their search for the beasts, with sometimes startling results. The CGI for the trolls is brilliant, they look both suitably scary and sometimes dumbfounded by what's going on around them. This is a Norwegian movie with subtitles, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film. The script is first rate, the camerawork imaginative, and the film generally has an exuberance and sense of fun which gets you hooked from the opening shots. Brilliant fun.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I must say, I'm a big fan on the POV (point of view) movie movement recently taking hold of current movies ever since the Blair Witch Project phenomenom, some of the best include Cloverfield, REC 1 and 2, Paranormal activity and others and it seems the filming technique is in full swing as Norwegians take their try at the forumala with devastastingly good results.
Seeing as this wasn't a full blown hollywood production, this really did feel much more stable than most theatre movies as it had it's ground in terms of plot, character development and most definitely the CGI used.
I won't give anything away other than the fact that you MUST see this movie, put your headphones on, lights off and prepare to be entertained, humoured, scared and shocked as The Troll Hunter takes you through a mystical journey that may never again be seen by cinema. Of course like every movie it has it's negative and positive factors and I think they could have snipped it down to give the story a better flow and over pacier experience but this really is going to be one of those LOVE or HATE movies, it's definitely not for everyone.
Suggest reading up on some Norwegian folk lore and getting into the spirit before starting this up as you there are many references and hidden jokes that make this that little bit more enjoyable.
8/10
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 March 2012
View it in the manner in which it was filmed (i.e. Tongue in cheek) and you might find this film worth your time, it is slow moving but that only adds to the allure. It kind of turns things on its head re-interpreting folklore as 'facts'. The (occasional) poor animation adds to the sense of fun. The ending is both nothing and something, who knows if you were the type who believes in conspiracies, you might be drawn in. Dont expect too much of it and you will enjoy this film. Be warned it is NUTS in the best sense of the word.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I spend a really good moment watching this very original, surrealistic and cleverly made Norwegian fantasy movie and it cheered me up no end. Below more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

"Troll Hunter" is a "found footage" film, like "Blair's Witch Project". Three students try to make a documentary film about a certain Hans, who has the reputation of a dangerous albeit never convicted poacher. Pretty fast, they will discover that in reality he hunts a game infinitely more dangerous and exotic than bears and also that he works for a secret agency of Norwegian government. At that moment the courageous trio decides to discover all the truth about this shady organisation.

This film is an excellent comedy, even if on the surface of things everything is treated with the greatest seriousness. We progressively learn a lot about trolls and even more about people in charge of control of their population and movements. Some moments are purely irresistible, but my absolute favourite is the visit in a very powerful electric plant in the middle of nowhere and the conversations with its crew...))) Believe me, you REALLY want to see this part of film.

Being Polish I very much liked the scene when some (probably not very recommendable) people hailing from our noble tribe come to do business (and haggle) with Hans. I also pretty much liked the explanation why it is definitely better to take a Muslim, rather than a Christian to hunt the trolls...)))

All actors are really doing great in this film, the scenario is excellent and the visual aspect of the film (mountains, forests, fjords, streams and trolls) is first class. Finally, the low key but very intelligent kind of humour is a pure TREASURE!

I really, REALLY liked this film and I will definitely re-watch it again. To buy, watch and keep. Enjoy!
on 1 August 2013
Nice idea, nice film, vaguely entertaining!
Not sure what I expected but probably a bit more action, but on reflection the title says it all. Its a film in a documentary style about a Norwegian Troll Hunter. A short glimpse into his mysterious life via a film made by some twenty-something Norwegian student types who start out skeptical and end up entangled in the conflict between the secret existence and the Troll hunters quest for hazard pay.
I think I was expecting something that was a cross between "Iron Sky" and "Monsters" but it is a sort of off beat "Monsters" with snow. The trolls are OK, there is lots of explanation of the whats and wherefores of the Troll Hunters career and the problems he faces... and the boss who wants to keep the Troll hunters a state secret.
In parts funny but not ROFL, its OK... maybe its funnier in the original Norwegian (you get an option of subtitles or the English dubbing).
on 25 June 2014
I bought this as it was recommended by my sister who had enjoyed it and since the price was so low I thought I was worth a look since I have never managed to see anything from Norway yet (I enjoy the 'World film' genre).

The film itself is good- it utilises the 'home-made film' aesthetics of the likes of The Blair Witch Project etc. and although the story itself is nothing extraordinary or groundbreaking (a group of teenage kids making a documentary for college), it is an interesting twist upon the whole Blair Witch idea. The acting is good and the use of CGI is effective.

This film is listed as a 15 certificate but there was not a lot to warrant this in my view (swearing and a little violence) so I watched this with my daughter the next day who also enjoyed it.

For your money, do not expect anything overly amazing or original but it is worth watching for an evenings entertainment.
on 11 July 2014
Comparisons have been made between TROLL HUNTER and both The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield, and it’s easy to see why. And my reservations about those two films also apply here. For me the “found footage” contrivance actually detracts from the impact of the material. I know it’s not real and I actually find suspension of disbelief more difficult than with a conventional work of fiction. But maybe that’s just me. I found TBWP dull and not at all frightening. Cloverfield was more entertaining but frustrating nonetheless. TROLL HUNTER is better than either because it has a sharper script and never takes itself as seriously as the aforementioned. But I think this material would have been better served by either a straightforward mockumentary or comedy horror approach. That said it’s a fun film and is worth watching.