Queen - Days of Our Lives [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£19.56+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 December 2011
Without a doubt: Fantastic documentary including in-depth interviews with both Roger en Brian covering every possible angle of their career. Very much worth watching. However: don't be fooled with the description on this item (dvd-version) - it does NOT, repeat: NOT include all the extra's as mentioned here, sadly enough. I was quite upset & disappointed upon receiving the dvd. When watching, it only has the 7 bonus-videos and the last 3 titles of the extra's (Miracle, Innuendo, Made In Heaven). Very, very strange indeed .... I'm now thinking, I only bought half an item ..... because I know there's more out there. Upon investigating the release on the web, I discovered that the dvd is (only) 160 minutes and the blu-ray is 221 minutes, so I'm guessing that only the blu-ray has ALL the extra's as mentioned in the description. Still, disappointing when buying the dvd. ;-(
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 November 2011
This has certainly been a long time coming. An official in depth history of Queen on a pristine new format. Wonderful. Except.....its the documentary already aired on BBC2 earlier this year. Which was great, dont get me wrong but a Queen blu ray is surely a chance to get absolutely everything out there. Even allowing for the extra hour or so on this blu edition there is still loads more out there.

I still fondly remember my copies of Queen 'The Magic Years' on VHS which was a staggeringly in depth look back on the bands career at the time of 'A Kind of Magic.' This was an extensive 3 volume set with everything the true Queen fan could want. This, for me, pales slightly in comparison, even to the memory of that creaky old set.

Its now almost 30 years since that VHS set and a lot has happened within Queen. The comeback album 'The Miracle', 'Innuendo', Freddies passing, the tribute concert, Made In Heaven, Paul Rogers?!@ and now we hear access has been granted for some of the songs done with Michael Jackson to be worked on. The Queen story is seemingly neverending!

So........a really great release.......but could have been soooooooo much more.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 July 2012
Days of our lives by Queen,is a must for all queen fans,it is a very good documentary about the worlds top group,some of the parts are dated now,but then again it has too be that way to tell the story of their lives and the sad demise of one of the greatest performers the world has ever seen Freddie!It does have some sadness in it towards the end,when Freddie announces that he is HIV positive and Roger and Brian show there sadness,still even after all these years,I always have found it hard to watch when things come up about Freddie and always end up with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eyes.Even in the show "WE WILL ROCK YOU"which i've seen many times,when they sing about only the good die young,they mention Buddy Holly and Freddie hairs go up on my neck and sorrow remains.
I would recommend this DVD to anyone that wants to know the true Queen as a group and individuals BRILLIANTLY put together.
Graham R Croft
on 8 January 2012
Great DVD, I could watch it again and again. I would probably eventually get a bluray player to see all the extras that the bluray version supposedly has on it but to be honest what was on the standard DVD version was all material that I had not seen before and I thought it was great.

I don't know why people give it less than 5 stars just because of this. I highly recommend this DVD if you are a Queen and Freddie Mercury fan. Brilliant from start to finish.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Queen 40 years, that was 2011, the reissues, the box sets, books and documentaries, all flooding the market.

Among them this little documentary gem, released in the UK (Mid January release date set for here in the US) on region free Blu ray disc.

There has been some consternation about the fact that the BD runs longer than the trimmed DVD release, and I can offer no insight. The BD has nice picture and sound, but is by no means stunning, most of the footage shown in the documentary is old and not restored, or upgraded to HD, so it's a good picture, not a stunning one.
The main feature is a two part documentary charting the beginnings of the band, through to their last live performance in 1986, and then what came next.
Most of the footage is narrated in interview style with Brian May, and Roger Taylor mostly. John Deacon (the bass player) seeming to have disappeared intentionally from the public eye, is not seen much, and the footage of Freddie is obviously old.

There is quite a bit of new footage, some unseen screen tests for videos, and the unseen live aid practice, all padded out with a chronology of hits, shows, ups and downs.
It was interesting to learn about some of the inner turmoil, the quiet solo attempts, not only from Freddie, but Brian and Roger also.
There are many interesting interviews with the likes of Paul Gambucinni, long time roadie Peter Hince, and their former manager, as well as news reports, clips covering the highs and the lows.
The immense crowds of South America, the mistake of Sun City, the long time break through to the USA, and so on.

The second part of the documentary deals with the high points, virtual split and then masterful reunion for Live Aid, and the massive '86 tour.
It also deals with Freddie's health, decline and ultimate end, and though delicately handled, it is sad and very bittersweet.

So 40 years? Well yes and no, 25 years since their last live concert as a complete band, and 20 years since the death of Freddie, yet here we are - still absorbed, still watching.
Arguably one of the greatest rock bands of the 20th century, certainly one, if not THE founders of "stadium" rock, who left an endearing legacy of great music.

Much of the the footage can be seen in other documentaries like Queen - Under Review - 1980-1991 and Queen - Under Review 1973-1980 but these are mostly the ramblings of other people. This BD has probably the most real input from the band, mostly Roger and Brian as already mentioned, but for any fan, or anyone who simply wants to know more about the band, it's certainly worth the money.
on 5 December 2011
I wish I had the skill of writing words like the band but can only say how much happiness queen has bought to my life. This documentary is EXCELLENT and how lucky to have Brian and Roger gracefully do so these interviews when I think it should be noted that they don't have to (and who could blame them the way the press treated them to this day). I strongly admire their honesty and candour and their obvious love and appreciation for their band, their god given talents and Freddie and John.

They know that fans are all that matter and I am only in my 30's so they were before my time but I have since made up for that. My husband saw Queen live in '85 in Australia and also saw Led Zep, Deep Purple, Guns Roses, Foreigner, ZZ Top, ACDC (early and later), Cold Chisel, INXS, Iron Maiden, Joe Walsh, Status Quo, Neil Young, and plenty of others. In his opinion Queen had the best sound, best performance, Freddie the best voice in the universe, and in all aspects the best band he was lucky enough to see.

People are freely allowed to love ANY band, but I challenge anyone to find a band with a vocalist that has the range, volume and sound of Freddie, unique piano playing of Freddie, who could hold a crowd of 200,000 in the palm of his hands. The brilliant guitar skill of Brian, excellent bass skill of John, awesome drumming of Roger and the ability of all members to write so many brilliant songs, covering many genres of music, that even children can hear and sing along to. You only have to look at the tribute concert and see how NO ONE could come close to Freddie's voice and presence.

I thank God for queen and look forward to many new releases that continue.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I saw this over the late May bank holiday in 2011, and it was a highlight in what was a very dark 10 months for me. I would say it was almost better than The Queen Phenomenon from 1995. Very poignant, especially with an extreme sad confession from Roger at the end. I do think that Harvey bloke is a bit stupid mind, so ignore his comments. And my hatred of the British press has grown when they talked about a certain period... I would happily recommend this and the Queen Phenomenon to anyone just getting into the band. So what are you waiting on?
on 8 December 2011
Positives

Insightful commentry throughout the documentary by Brian & Roger in 2011 looking back on their career with Queen not all of which I'd agree with (Roger don't be so hard on the Hot Space album, its not that bad! Brian, The Miricle isn't one of Freddie's best compositions)

Nice selection of bonus material (I never knew John hurled his bass in anger at the end of the Knebworth show - would love to hear his reasons for that. You would think at the end of such a massively successful tour with one of the biggest bands on the planet he would be on top of the world. Just shows, we all have bad days at the office!!)

The documentary is expanded on what was shown origionally on the BBC and its obvious the amount of work the producers put into it.

Very fast loading disc!

Negatives

As another reviewer has correctly stated - while good, this is not as good as it could have been. The VHS "Magic Years" is still a far better historical record of the band's work.

The choice of Blu Ray Format is crazy - a double DVD would have made the material more accessible - The picture quality does not benefit in any way from HD as the source material is historic and not restored in any way. Also the cut down DVD release of this is clearly very unfair to loyal fans who may not own a blu ray player. There should be a triple play pack (blu ray/dvd & digital copy) made availble to give fans the versatility of how they can watch this material.

Sound in basic stereo - ok for what it is but why have blu ray discs and then not have 5.1 surround sound option? - rushed out for the Christmas market is why!

Some of the footage is repetitive and also the edits appear to contradict earlier releases. (Did they wear out the master tapes with the multiple redubs of March of the Black Queen or as previously indicated - Bohemian Rhapsody)

Summary

Very enjoyable for anyone interested in the band or wanting to know more about their work but a missed opportunity to put out a really decent product for die hard fans who will have seen a lot of this stuff already more than once.
on 17 January 2012
The story of Queen from the beginning, told by themselves and the people around them, excellent documentary. The part when Roger knew about Freddie's death brought tears to my eyes, also when Brian tells his experience at the Madison Square Garden. . If you love Queen you must have this DVD
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
this iconic story of the greatest rock band came to a sudden halt with the death of FREDDIE MERCURY this dvd shows why they were the greatest but more importantly what a performer Freddie was this dvd is funny sad tragic all mixed together how the band came through threatened breakups rows and ultimatley pulled together around a dying man to give us some of there finest work and showed what a trooper Freddie was recording when he was well enough resting when he wasnt as he said to Brian May you keep writing ill keep singing .We will never see the like again this dvd is a great tribute to both queen and Freddie a must for every rock fan LONG LIVE THE QUEEN