Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 12 January 2012
This is a beautiful laptop. Powerful, well made and very light.

But, it suffers from the same problem as the latest MacBook Pros. There are no buttons for the trackpad. If you want to click, you need to press hard on the trackpad.

This means that if you want to drag'n'drop using the Trackpad, you need to press down on trackpad, and keep pressing down as you move your finger, and hope that you don't run out of trackpad to keep pressing on.

Btw, I bought mine in Switzerland, where it sells for 829 CHF (£567), so look out for bargains if you're passing through Duty Free anytime soon.

A great laptop, but... buy a mouse.
88 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2012
I have to say this is almost as lightweight and sleek as the macbook air. Its fast - the "2 second" ontime claim is accurate. Battery life to date seems very good - I used 20% in 2 hours of heavy usage ( installing programes, using the internet, big downloads from a USB drive -all concurrently). Sound quality from the speakers is very good for their size and the webcam gives a clear picture. It looks good, feels good and solid and I have to say I would struggle to justify spending nearly twice as much for a similar spec macbook air
on 11 February 2012
I had a sony vaio 15 inch laptop for home use, and an asus eee pc 1201 net book for travel. so i decided instead of having 2 laptops, to have just one that is light enough for travel, but with a screen wide enough to work comfortably with long word files. ACER s3 was the choice.

have had it for 1 month. screen is good. light and easy to use. I am quite pleased. BUT - the battery is nowhere near 6 hours. for normal use - internet browsing and word - it is more like 4 hours. also the keyboard is a bit uncomfortable - I make a lots of typos. either still have to get used more or it is not fully comfortable...

another minus is the fact that USB plugs are in the back of the laptop. whenever you need anything you need to close the screen and then turn the laptop to plug a usb key or anything you need. quite uncomfortable.

this being said - i would still buy S3 for these money. but hope future version would have USB elsewhere, better battery and better keyboard.
on 24 May 2012
I have had the system for around 4 weeks now and have to say cosmetically and from a performance perspective it is awesome!
It's light enough to carry around but screen is big enough to do everything I like to do such as surf, watch movies, listen to music and play the odd online game.
The performance is excellent, everything loads really quickly and all round the system is very zippy.
Maybe the look isn't to everyones taste but personally i think it's stunning.

Those were all the good bits, now for the bad news. The battery life is fairly poor, i'm not getting much past 2.5 to 3 hours of usage.
The other issue is that the HD seems to be constantly reading/writing, it's been like this since the day I took it out of the box. I thought it was windows updates, etc that was causing it but 4 weeks on and it's still happening. Even when the machine is completely idle (turned on but no applications or anything running) it stills seems to be spinning away. It's not loud but seems strange and i'm worried it may make the HD bust.
I have logged the issue with Acer and the machine is being picked up tomorrow.
on 9 December 2011
OK, I brought this on looks - which are stunning.
I had been looking for a laptop for weeks, and they all looked boring!
Then saw this, and brought it without regards to any limitations.

End result, a GREAT laptop that does the job, for over 5 hours!
I got mine from COSTCO who had a special offer on at £499+VAT until 11/12/11.
even at £699 its a great computer.
Only fault is that it only has HDMI video output, which has caused loads of problems as I have a 3 screen set up. HDMI can only output at 2400x600, so I had to find a way around this problem. I was considering returning the laptop, but had fallen in love with it. Solution buy 3 usb/vga output converters... that solved the problem, at a cost. But couldnt face returning the laptop, so this additional cost was worth it
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 13 April 2012
I've had this laptop for a month now so I thought it was time to review it. It's a lovely piece of kit. Very slim and light. Easily the nicest laptop that Acer has produced, and nicer than most other ultrabooks (except, of course, the stunning Asus X21/31 series). It's a genuine ultrabook (as defined by Intel) in every respect (CPU, start time, etc.) except one -- the battery only lasts around 3-4 hours, which is less than Intel's specification for an ultrabook. You will easily get a morning or afternoon of heavy use out of this laptop, but not a full day.

Performance wise, it's fine. It should be with its Core i5 processor and 4Gb RAM. It runs everything quickly and effortlessly including Office 2010 and photo editing. Because it has a standard hard disk (it also has a small SSD) it gets a little hot in use, but cooler than traditional laptops.

The screen is OK without being brilliant. I think it looks a little washed out and the contrast could definitely be better. But the screen is basically fine. The keyboard is also OK, without being great. As other reviewers have noted, the keys are small, making it easy to make mistakes. But it's perfectly usable and better than any netbook keyboard. Oddly, I find the touchpad to be excellent. It's multitouch (you can do special things with two or more fingers -- which is more useful than it sounds) and responsive to movements. It's the best touchpad that I have used.

So, the Acer Aspire ultrabook is a mixed bag. It's cheap (for an ultrabook), looks great (better than most ultrabooks), great for travelling (due to its weight and slimness), and its fast. It has a so-so screen and keyboard. And it has a poor battery life.

The bottom line is that I would buy it again, due to its price/performance/looks ratio. If you haven't used an ultrabook before, you are in for a treat. They are a huge leap forward in mobile technology, and make traditional laptops look old fashioned. If Acer is smart, it will cut the price of this ultrabook and it will fly off the shelves. But even at today's price (I paid over £600 for it), it's still a great piece of kit.
on 18 February 2014
I've had this laptop for two years now and it's never let me down. Super sleek, fast and does the job perfectly - I wanted a lightweight laptop (an ipad with a keyboard essentially). Battery life, however, isn't anything too great and a couple of hours under normal usage. I'd recommend it though and I'll be sticking with Acer for my next laptop.
on 1 July 2012
Ordering from Amazon was fine, product delivered next day as promised.
Although the Acer looks a nice product, for the price, it did feel a little cheap, especially when closing the lid, from the feel and noise it sounded like a basic plastic laptop.
You will need a USB extension as the USB slots located at the back mean you risk damaging a USB memory stick if you are trying to type with it on your lap, not a great design for a "laptop".
Keyboard was fine, once you got use to it, the keys were quiet, but the space bar was noisy and again sounded cheap.
Not much more I can say as the hard drive died after just 2 weeks, so returned to Amazon for a refund not a replacement.
on 13 August 2012
I would return and replace if I could. I got my one on a site that does not allow this. Just typing and not even touching mouse pad (I have learned to keep well clear of it) and cursor jumps everywhere. The wifi is really unstable, often not connecting. Really really disapointed as although all else is fine with dropping wifi adaptor issue, keyboard jumping it means I often give up and use a desktop. it is a pile of ...
on 23 March 2012
This is a lovely laptop. The screen is amazing, turns on quickly, battery life is excellent.
Windows 7 is of course brilliant. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful laptop. It's case is thin, light, btt strong and looks fantastic. It's a joy to use and own.
The price is also extremely good. For the CPU, it's the same price as any cheap and cheerful black plastic Dell (without the Ultrabook performance improvements).
Can't recommend this highly enough.