4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, with one huge flaw

Published 19 months ago by FlippyClaire

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Book that comes with it is NOT Scout and Friends, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
My son has yet to use this toy as I have purchased it for Christmas but I have opened it up to set it up for him. It looks really good but one thing to note is that on Amazon's website it states that the book that comes with this is "Scout and friends", it is not, the book that comes with it is "Explore Tag Junior", which whilst interactive is more of an advert for all the books that you can buy, each double page advertises a different book.

I contacted Amazon and they sent out a replacement to see if it was a mistake but the replacement had the same book in it. The packaging is misleading and looking at it you would think that "Scout and Friends" came with it, unless you read the tiny writing stating what is included, so I can understand how Amazon made this mistake. I tried to explain this to one of the customer service advisers but they didn't understand what I was trying to say so I suspect the website details will not be changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, with one huge flaw, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
I purchased this for my 4 year old sons birthday. He got a leap pad and has become familiar with the leap frog characters (leap the frog, scout and violet etc) and my son loves books, so I felt this would be a good investment towards his education. I ordered directly through amazon, it came quickly and is well presented in the box. It does require 2 AAA batteries (it is not rechargeable - grrr!). The tag junior I received came with the book "explore tag junior" which effectively was a sample from other leap frog tag junior books. They had some of the generic leap frog books as well as Jake and the Neverland pirates, Cinderella, cars, Dora, Sesame Street etc. The handset reads words when it is set on the area of the page where the words are (originally I thought you'd have to roll it over or that you could pick individual words to read out, but it reads the entire section). I have heard these aren't always UK language, but the one I got was spoken with a British accent. When you move the handset around the page you hear different character voices and descriptions or noises related to what the handset is over. Overall I like the concept, the more expensive leap frog pen may be better suited to a child who is learning to read as with this you are unable to identify individual words with the handset.
My main gripe with this is that the memory is 8MB, which with today's technology is just unheard of. The leap pad has 4GB and my son has tons of stuff on it and the memory seems never ending. It wouldn't be so bad but the operating system and the explore tag junior book came preloaded and take up 4MB of the 8 available. The explore tag junior book was 1.2 MB so that means the operating system and the handset knowing your child's name takes up 2.8MB. The leap frog connect software did its usual crash when I attempted to put books on it so I had to eject and restart it. I noticed the Disney books take up at least 1MB each, whereas generic books (in particular an ABC book I got) took up less, in this case .7MB. The books are expensive considering when you buy them from amazon, there are a lot of people out there on eBay who sell them second hand and you can usually pick up a bundle of a few books for the price you'd pay for one new from amazon (which is usually around 10 ish although some are currently on sale for 4.50 so its worth keeping an eye on them as they fluctuate so much) also annoyingly the cable attachment is inside the back battery area so you have to undo the fiddly button to connect it. It has two volume settings and personally my son likes it much quieter than it is,
My son has an unusual name and it comes up with his name, there is a huge variety of names and nicknames so I'd say you're likely to get your child's name no problem. Overall I am happy. I do wish it had more space, but I think its great and my son loves it, I suppose seeing how happy it makes him is worth swapping and changing the books when he's not around so he doesn't get frustrated its not working when it should in his mind! I would recommend to anyone with a little one who loves books. I would recommend however if your child will be using it to learn to read to go for the tag eon, it is more expensive but better suited to early readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
Present for my 2 year old son birthday he loves especially as he can greet him with his name. The books are stages he recognises as this he is going through at the moment. well worth best buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
My son loved this, there's a bit of messing around with a laptop first of all but he loves it knowing his name and enjoys searching out the noises and words

5.0 out of 5 stars leapfrog tag book, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
value for money excellent service would reccomend to family and friends may order another set for a present for christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal, 28 Feb 2014
V. Hodge (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
Looks great, bought for my 2 yr old grandson for his birthday. Not been online yet to input the child's details to use it yet though. I bought another for my other grandson though so hoping it works ok. Don't think it comes with batteries though,( sure it says it does?) my son had to buy some, wish I had known as I would have included some.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entry to reading, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
My grand son enjoys having the book read to him with the book pal makes it more fun for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic :), 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
Bought this for my 15 month old son and he loves it :) Very simple to use, my son can use it on his own. Brings storytime to life with sound effects. Many books available so never short of options. Would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
Bought this for my grand son for christmas there are lots of books that you can buy to team up with this for birthday presents

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout) (Toy)
My step son loved this toy. He was 2.5 years old when we bought it for him last christmas, although he was unaware of what it was telling him at first, with our help he soon learnt that whatever he hovered over, it told him what that word or object was. We often wake to see him using it to read in bed in a morning, it's a great step to learning to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

LeapFrog Tag Junior Book Pal (Scout)
19.57