4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction to reading for your little one
Published 7 months ago by S. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Book that comes with it is NOT Scout and Friends
Published on 9 Dec. 2012 by FlippyClaire

3.0 out of 5 stars Book that comes with it is NOT Scout and Friends, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
My son has yet to use this toy as I have purchased it for Christmas but I have opened it up to set it up for him. It looks really good but one thing to note is that on Amazon's website it states that the book that comes with this is "Scout and friends", it is not, the book that comes with it is "Explore Tag Junior", which whilst interactive is more of an advert for all the books that you can buy, each double page advertises a different book.

I contacted Amazon and they sent out a replacement to see if it was a mistake but the replacement had the same book in it. The packaging is misleading and looking at it you would think that "Scout and Friends" came with it, unless you read the tiny writing stating what is included, so I can understand how Amazon made this mistake. I tried to explain this to one of the customer service advisers but they didn't understand what I was trying to say so I suspect the website details will not be changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction to reading for your little one, 8 Dec. 2014
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
This is a brilliant introduction to reading for your little one and will help encourage them to get excited about reading too. I bought the Scout book pal for my 2 year old son as he has been struggling with his speech and I thought that this reading system would help him along with more words. I'm pleased to say that I do think the junior book pal has actually helped him although I do still need to encourage him to use the book pal as he loves sitting there just looking at the books without it too. I love that you can personalise Scout so that when you turn him on and off he says your childs name as this makes it feel like Scout is actually talking to your little one and immediately we (hubby and I) can see it encourages our son to use Scout.

I'll get my negative 'niggles' out of the way straight away and the first is the memory storage on the book pal is absolutely awful as it only has 8MB of on-board memory however you only actually have 5.3MB of that free as the book pal has already used the difference of 2.7MB for it's normal programming. This has been mentioned countless times by other reviewers on here and I would have thought Leapfrog would have increased the memory by now especially as the book pal has been released for over three years now according to the release information on the product page (October 2011). Unfortunately this means you can only pre-load Scout with 4 or 5 books at a time (depending on which books you are loading and their size) and this means having to unload and reload the different books all the time which whilst reasonably quick to do is a nuisance and would be so much better if the memory was upgraded to at least 32MB like the tag reading system as then you could have pretty much all the junior books loaded onto Scout at the same time. It is for this reason that I have deducted a star from my marking for the book pal as really it should be sorted out by now.
Two of my other niggles are that the product description page is incorrect as it states you get the book "Scout & Friends" with the junior book pal and you do not and again this has been mentioned bu countless reviewers and still not corrected. The book you get is "Lets Read Together" which is basically just an advert book for all of the other books available so if you are buying this book pal for your little one you might want to consider purchasing a book to go along with it so that they can start reading properly with the book pal straight away. The other niggle is that the product description page advises the book pal comes with the 2 AAA batteries it needs to work and it doesn't so please bear this is mind too. Also I used a cheaper brand batteries in the book pal at first and they didn't even last to upload all of the books onto it and so it's worth getting a well known quality brand of battery to use too as these last much longer.

Anyway onto the normal points about the book pal now I have got the negatives out of the way. The books are very easy to load and unload once you download the Leapfrog Connect to your computer and I have done this several times now (because of the small memory) with none of the issues some of the other reviewers report and so it would seem any initial bugs in the system have been completely rectified by Leapfrog now. Scout comes with a USB lead and to connect him to your computer you remove the battery cover which is where both the batteries are stored and the USB connection is. You don't need a screwdriver to open him either as you can open him with a 1p coin just as well.

The books themselves are brilliant and we have quite a few of them now with Leapfrog Tag Junior Jake And The Neverland Pirates Book and LeapFrog LeapReader/Tag Junior Book: Dora the Explorer 1, 2, 3 Dora! being two of my sons and my favourites at the moment. Not only does the book pal read the main words but when you put him on other parts such as drums or coconuts etc it either does music and sound effects or says "coconuts" etc and so there are lots of other interactive points in the books than just the main wordings.

Scout is very easy to hold for little hands and along with his main power button he also has a volume button too. Scout measures approx 10cm high by 6cm wide and 6cm deep at his tummy which is his widest point and he has been very cleverly designed to fit into your little ones hand. Your little one doesn't need to swipe him across any writing for him to read it and they just need to tap or touch the writing and he will read the whole paragraph or sentence. For most of the books he speaks in a British accent but for the LeapFrog LeapReader/Tag Junior Book Set: Toddler Milestones set for example it is all spoken in very American accented tones. The individual characters in the books such as Dora, Jake, Izzy, Hook, Rory etc are all in their 'real' voices which I thought was very good and which my son especially enjoys. Scout comes in a lovely presentation box with the advert book "Lets Read Together" and some other websites show this packaging in their product pictures if it is important for you to see what it looks like. I have actually also bought the LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Violet Book Pal for a present for a niece for Christmas and also bought one for my daughter to use when she is a bit older as I am very impressed with the book pals except for the lack of storage.

If you are considering getting one of these for your little one then I can recommend them but do bear in mind the potential frustration at times when your little one picks up a book and it's not one of the ones programmed at the time and you have to load up the computer, delete a book off the book pal and load that book on as it can be a bit annoying. I wouldn't say it was annoying enough to put me off the book pal but Leapfrog do need to listen to their customers and fix the storage issue. A brilliant little introduction toy to reading for your little one and very good and interactive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, with one huge flaw, 11 Jan. 2014
dmcnabb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
I purchased this for my 4 year old sons birthday. He got a leap pad and has become familiar with the leap frog characters (leap the frog, scout and violet etc) and my son loves books, so I felt this would be a good investment towards his education. I ordered directly through amazon, it came quickly and is well presented in the box. It does require 2 AAA batteries (it is not rechargeable - grrr!). The tag junior I received came with the book "explore tag junior" which effectively was a sample from other leap frog tag junior books. They had some of the generic leap frog books as well as Jake and the Neverland pirates, Cinderella, cars, Dora, Sesame Street etc. The handset reads words when it is set on the area of the page where the words are (originally I thought you'd have to roll it over or that you could pick individual words to read out, but it reads the entire section). I have heard these aren't always UK language, but the one I got was spoken with a British accent. When you move the handset around the page you hear different character voices and descriptions or noises related to what the handset is over. Overall I like the concept, the more expensive leap frog pen may be better suited to a child who is learning to read as with this you are unable to identify individual words with the handset.
My main gripe with this is that the memory is 8MB, which with today's technology is just unheard of. The leap pad has 4GB and my son has tons of stuff on it and the memory seems never ending. It wouldn't be so bad but the operating system and the explore tag junior book came preloaded and take up 4MB of the 8 available. The explore tag junior book was 1.2 MB so that means the operating system and the handset knowing your child's name takes up 2.8MB. The leap frog connect software did its usual crash when I attempted to put books on it so I had to eject and restart it. I noticed the Disney books take up at least 1MB each, whereas generic books (in particular an ABC book I got) took up less, in this case .7MB. The books are expensive considering when you buy them from amazon, there are a lot of people out there on eBay who sell them second hand and you can usually pick up a bundle of a few books for the price you'd pay for one new from amazon (which is usually around £10 ish although some are currently on sale for £4.50 so its worth keeping an eye on them as they fluctuate so much) also annoyingly the cable attachment is inside the back battery area so you have to undo the fiddly button to connect it. It has two volume settings and personally my son likes it much quieter than it is,
My son has an unusual name and it comes up with his name, there is a huge variety of names and nicknames so I'd say you're likely to get your child's name no problem. Overall I am happy. I do wish it had more space, but I think its great and my son loves it, I suppose seeing how happy it makes him is worth swapping and changing the books when he's not around so he doesn't get frustrated its not working when it should in his mind! I would recommend to anyone with a little one who loves books. I would recommend however if your child will be using it to learn to read to go for the tag eon, it is more expensive but better suited to early readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great early reading tool, 22 April 2015
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
This is a great educational product. The 'puppy' shape is specially designed for younger children's little hands and it is quite easy to hold. You use it in conjunction with the 'reader' books. These contain both pictures and written text and triggers for the audio files stored in the pal. You need to load the pal direct from the leap frog web site before you use it. You download the audio files that correspond to the book you want to read and then scan the pal across the book to get it to read out the text and also pick up some hidden surprises. It is really good because it encourages the child to match written words with spoken words in association with pictures that string the story together. There are numerous books in the range and you can use the pal with all of them. The main limitation is the storage capacity of the pal. You can download maybe two story files and it is full. You then have to delete these to download more. It would be great if it had more memory so you could download a reasonable number of story files. The only other thing is the pal speaks with an annoying American accent. I know it is a US designed product and is aimed primarily at the US market but the heavy accent can get a bit annoying at times. Otherwise this is a great product and I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
Present for my 2 year old son birthday he loves especially as he can greet him with his name. The books are stages he recognises as this he is going through at the moment. well worth best buy

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 30 April 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
I was looking for an item to help my 3 yr old who has speech problems to get the hang of certain words, so I know he is older then the recomened age but it is fast becoming one of his favourite things as he already has the 'scout' teddy so he is already feeling a bond towards this 'scout reader'
Firstly it is a sturdy item and well made however it was a little difficult to figure out how to open the battery compartment which isnt really a negative as it has stopped my son removing the batteries, not only that but you dont have to have a screw driver to open it as even a 1p can open it, so until he figures that out the batteries are completely safe. Once you are in the battery compartment that is where the USB lead is to be connected. The connection was a little fiddly as I have stubbier fingers but again that isnt the fault of the manufacture.

When it came to connecting it to the computer to download the audio books onto it I have difficulty getting my PC to recongise the USB was attached to the 'Scout reader' but after a little fiddling it worked perfectly. The downloads are quick but I was a little disapointed in the amount of books that I can load onto it, As it was bought for his birthday I bought 4 books extra and a set of books containing 6 other books only to find 'Scout' could only hold 4 of them, The memory isn't as large as I would have liked nor is there anywhere to add a memory card to increase it and this is the reason it doesnt receive the full 5 stars. The reader also reads the full sentances and it reads in a soft and gentle voice and doesnt sound computerised or robotic as some toys can, there are 2 volume settings which is located just under 'Scouts' chin, its louder setting is not overly loud so its not impossing, I can sit to the side of him while he is using the book and even on its loud setting I can comfortably watch the tv, neither the book or the tv drowns eachj other out so for parents who dont like overly loud toys this is one item that you will find comfortable.

I recieved it quite quickly and well within the estimated delivery date and the packaging was to a nice size so there wasnt much to be thrown away. I would recommend it to others but making sure they understand it has limited memory.
I like the way it also connects to the computer to keep me updated on my sons process

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
My son loved this, there's a bit of messing around with a laptop first of all but he loves it knowing his name and enjoys searching out the noises and words

4.0 out of 5 stars but I really like the system, 1 Dec. 2014
Andi (Bognor Regis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
I've not given this to my two year old yet, but I really like the system. I feel he'll be able to hold Scout (the dog device) very well, but he scares me a bit.

Also the included book is a bit of a "Buy more books" thing because it does very little. Glad I got another set of books with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic :), 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
Bought this for my 15 month old son and he loves it :) Very simple to use, my son can use it on his own. Brings storytime to life with sound effects. Many books available so never short of options. Would definitely recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun but with major flaws, 21 Jan. 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal (Toy)
The tag reader comes across as a good idea which is not yet finished. My son loves it, but as a parent the lack of English(UK) as a language option is a concern. A second major concern is the lack of storage on the reader. We got two books and one of the get ready to read book sets, and found there wasn't enough storage. In these days of GB of flash memory crippling a device by only fitting 8MB seems scrooge like, and means parents will need to get a laptop out when their child swaps books. See below for how instructions on how to make the software work.

The software to send books to the pen installed apparently without problems, but failed to transfer books to the pen. There were no error messages, but thankfully a trawl of the internet revealed the problem and by running the software as administrator and all was well. Unfortunately the software is set to run without administrator permission when you plug the pen in meaning that you cannot transfer a new book without exiting and restarting the software by right clicking the shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator". The question Leapfrog should be asking themselves is how many parents spend a birthday or Christmas morning failing to get their child's expensive new toy working. Given the level of personal details about parent and child required to register with them, parents should also be worried that Leapfrog's developers are clearly working from an administrator account and hence vulnerable to hackers.

To make this work.
Open my computer and go to
C:\Program Files (x86)\LeapFrog\LeapFrog Connect
Right click on LeapFrogConnect.exe
Select change settings for all users.
Enter the administrator password for your machine.
Tick "Run this program as administrator"
Click OK.
Click OK again.

You should now be able to download books to the pen.
Don't forget after clicking "download to pen", you also need to click "Save to Tag Junior to actually download the books to the pen. Downloading is very very very very slow.

LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal