4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, intelligent film
I didn't know what to expect with this film, but the newspaper reviews were good, and I like George Clooney, so I took a chance, and I wasn't disappointed.

It's a slightly off-beat film/story, with interseting characters (who develop nicely - and in at least one case, surprisingly - as the film progresses), and Clooney is very good. I never know what to expect...
Published 21 months ago by P. Haynes

3.0 out of 5 stars "The Descendants" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues With The 'US' Disc...
Despite the Blu Ray's clipcase blurb about being a "masterpiece" - I wanted to like "The Descendants" a lot more than I did. But something about Alexander Payne’s 2011 movie lacked for me (I bought it on the back of so many good reviews).

The film has its moments for sure – especially Clooney and his clashes with the family over land...
Published 5 months ago by Mark Barry

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars The Descendants - Worthy-ish but dull. Descends into boredom, 8 Feb 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a worthy film in some respects, but incredibly dull, very contrived and unengaging. George Clooney plays a man who's wife is in a coma and about to be terminated, struggling to connect with his children. That aspect is OK, though the children are somewhat OTT uncontrollable horrors. Then there is the contrived `wife was having an affair' plot, shoehorned in to seemingly pad the film out and give it somewhere to go. This leads to some halfway interesting moments. And finally is the sale of land strand, totally unnecessary to proceedings. It manages to coast by on the star power of Clooney for a bit, but soon runs out of steam and descends into boredom. 2 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD+Digital Copy - The Descendants, 9 July 2012
Mr. Derek Clark (Hants., UK) - See all my reviews
A pleasant 'gentle' movie played with believable emotion and feelings, a pleasant change to the 'harsh violence' presently applied by the 'movie makers.
The copy was recieved in quick time and efficiently and made for an enjoyable effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Film, 23 May 2012
Quite frankly, this film is 'good', but that's really all I have to say about it. Critics called George Clooney's performance "his best to date"; that is debatable in my eyes, especially with this effort here. I have seen better starring himself than this.

The plot: very basic. A man whose wife has been fatally injured in a water-skiing accident must keep his two daughters together as they battle their grief. The film also has its funny moments: the eldest daughter's boyfriend is hilarious and brings a great deal of comedy to the plot, while the wife's lover and Clooney's character and his daughter's quest to find him is a good laugh, too.

However, in the heel of the hunt, this film, and the hype that surrounded it, is only average/'good'; I am glad that I saw it in the Cinema, as opposed to buying the DVD (which I had planned to do at the time, rather than seeing it... oh, life.). As for Clooney, and "his best to date" performance, I have seen better than this...

Just my two cents...

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality drama, 27 Jan 2012
Mr. R. W. Graham (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
George Clooney has come a long way since the misfire of Batman and Robin that nearly killed his movie carreer before it began and today is one of the best actors in hollywood and first class director to boot. Here, starring in Alexander Payne's latest film, The Descendants, George Clooney gives one of his best performances as a man who finds out that his wife who is in a coma had been having an affair behind his wife's back. It's a great performance and Clooney keeps you glued to the screen as he goes through all the emotions first of a man whose wife is in a coma then finding out she has betrayed him with someone else and at the same time struggling to bring up his 2 daughters, the 2 actresses here are both excellent and the film makes Hawaii where the film is set look stunning too. There are also good supporting performances from Beau Bridges as one of Clooney's cousins, Robert Forster as his father in law and Matthew Lilliard as "the other man". In fact acting wise it is a fautless film but it is slow. Director Alexander Payne has become a must watch director with this, Election, About Schmidt and Sideways.

3.0 out of 5 stars descendants film., 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Descendants [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this film at the cinema thought I would get the dvd.its a chick flick rearly but well worth watching.the acting especially by the childrenis great.

2.0 out of 5 stars flat, 13 July 2014
Unfortunately I found this rather charmless bordering on unpleasant. None of the characters quite engaged my attention, some seemed by a combination of writing and acting to be purely caricature, others were just flatly unlikeable. I have certainly liked worse films than this in the past, my taste is not great, but there was no magic here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
M. E. Tait (UK) - See all my reviews
As described, arrived on time. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good story led film, 22 Jun 2014
Unlike most of the movies available to watch included in the Amazon Prime package this is well worth viewing. I liked it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I fell asleep half way through, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Descendants [DVD] (DVD)
I'd heard great things about this film and was sure that George Clooney would rescue what seemed like a rather thin plot. Sadly I fell asleep half way through. Now that's partly my fault for working too hard and not getting enough sleep but this film just couldn't capture and hold my attention.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

The Descendants (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
The Descendants (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) by Alexander Payne (Blu-ray - 2012)
10.25