Format: DVD|Change

on 4 April 2014
Well worth a watch... lots of lovely scenes and a gripping story, with a deeper message missing from much of mainstream film.
on 6 February 2013
A lovely book interesting and very informative. Having read the book I had to buy the DVD which was a pleasure to watch
on 4 February 2013
Just watched this movie for the second time. Great story from a period in history that I have an ongoing interest in.
on 14 January 2015
Found the film enthralling, loved it immensely. A wonderful gentle yet emotionally charged film about friendship between women. I'll recommend to all my girlfriends that they see this film. It's been a while since I've seen such a meaningful film focusing on friendships among women - a change from the frivolous. The acting was fantastic, the music amazing. Loved it. Will get a copy for the film library.
on 21 April 2014
A wonderful story of love and friendship, slightly too sentimental for me in places, but well acted and I loved the slow pace. However......the irony of foot binding which thank god is not carried out any more, is replaced in our society by women wearing heels that are so high that they bend their feet into similar shapes, and teeter on tiptoe in pain.

Some things do not change.
on 24 March 2015
Not the worst film I've seen but definitly seen better. The story line was quite endearing but I found some of the acting slightly wooden. Such a shame cause I think this could be a film worthy of five stars if maybe a little more time was taken with it. I did like the parallels between the old and modern and some of the scenery was effective.
on 10 June 2013
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is a commercial and critical flop from acclaimed director Wayne Wang and adaptation of a bestselling novel that I haven't read. On surface it's a interesting art-house film that delves into some very interesting topics from Chinese culture and tries to make it work in both the historical setting of the book and in the newly added plot line set in modern time China. But sadly, the end result is utterly boring and melodramatic, Spielbergian style schmaltz and goo fest with very few redeeming qualities to it. Yes, the sets look wonderful and the cinematography is excellent as you might expect from a film made in China. But unlike the works of Zhang Yimou, the writing and acting just doesn't keep up and leave you with an empty feeling at the end.

It stars Bingbing Li who you might have seen in the horrendous Resident Evil: Retribution and my absolute favorite actress Jun Ji-Hyun who you might have seen in the Blood: The Last Vampire film and other lesser known Korean films like My Sassy Girl, Windstruck, Daisy and the recent The Thieves. They both try their best, especially Jun Ji-Hyun who has to speak in two foreign languages that she doesn't talk very well. It always baffled me why they chose her to play the part opposite Bingbing Li. She is Korean and while they explained her nationality and poor Mandarin in the modern setting, it completely made no sense in the historical setting. I guess she was cast because in Asia she is a recognizable name and to broaden the appeal of the film in other Asian countries and that she is probably the best actress of her generation with Doona Bae. Also there is Hugh Jackman and he sings in Mandarin and appears in few scenes. If he was in more than 5 minutes the film could have been salvaged by his accent alone.

So did I hate this film? Not really. I rather enjoyed it on a guilty pleasure kind of way. There are few scenes that completely redeem the film in my eyes and it has a landmark moment in the career of Jun Ji-Hyun. For those who has seen every film with her in it, will know that before this film, she haven't kissed anyone. And in the Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, she shared a kiss with Hugh Jackman. But for general audience this isn't going to matter at all and you will be bored by the film. I cant' recommend it for anyone unless you are a fan of Jun Ji-Hyun or Bingbing Li and want to see their filmography's or you are just very curious about it and can endure anything thrown at you.
on 22 February 2013
This review concerns the REGION 2 VERSION ONLY.

The US version runs to 120 minutes, the blue-ray edition runs to 120 minutes, why are UK audiences short-changed again with a sub-standard product that runs for 99 minutes ?

The difference, the REgion 2 is rated at 12A and the US version is rated at 13PG. Seriously ?!The other difference being that the US version has many more features but is still half the price of the Region 2 version at the time of writing this review.

The BBFC have the approved running time at 104 minutes and 8 seconds.

This happens far too often.

The film itself (all 120 minutes of it) is superb.

My grade is for the Region 2 release, not the film itself.

Snow Flower & The Secret Fan [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
on 16 March 2014
Very moving story. I am not usually fond of films with subtitles, but I'm glad I watched it through.
It tells the story of two friendships set in two different eras and enables the viewer to understand that life doesn't always turn out as you expect it to.
on 21 February 2016
Whilst less than two hours long, this felt like it was of epic length. Some of the cultural background was interesting, but the storyline was laboured, and the film as a whole struck me as being designed to sell China to the western mass market.