4.0 out of 5 stars Another top record from the UK's most consistent indie band, 17 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Hello Sadness (Audio CD)
Not only does Hello Sadness mark Los Campesinos' 4th record in as many years; it also marks their 4th consecutive great record. Over these years the band have shown a remarkable evolution from the looser, energetic "Hold On Now Youngster" to a tightly produced indie-pop sound on this record.

This is a concept album looking at the low and intense period that follows a break up and Gareth Campesinos!' lyrics remain as uncompromisingly honest and excellent as ever.

While the subject matter may sound depressing the songs are most definitely not. Opener "By Your Hand" has the most infectious chorus the band have written, the thrilling guitar lines (and a refreshing chorus sung by new member Kim) in "The Blackbird, The Dark Slope" will have you cranking up the volume and the build within "To Tundra" can be a real hair-standing moment.

Although an accessible album, for me, the album does benefit from repeated listens. Overall highly recommended!
Also, be sure to check this band out live!
Favourite song: Every Defeat A Divorce (Three Lions)

5.0 out of 5 stars Los Campesinos - Hello Sadness, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Hello Sadness (Audio CD)
Well I can only concur with the BBC review posted above; I've had my copy for a week or so (an early signed release) and there is less joie de vivre and more than a hint of darkness to the music/songs. Actually for an old fart like myself it somehow makes the music more approachable and, dare I say it, more mature. I've only listened to it 3 or 4 times thusfar (having been on a bit of a musicspendingfrenzy of late), and mainly whilst doing other things such as typing this short intro' (ie it's playing now!). I will supplement this intro' once I've given it a good spanking over the weekend. I've given it 5 *s as I have to give a score on it to post, & I've been impressed so far, but by Sunday night I may sneak back and amend it, just depending on a much closer listen.......

Hello Sadness
Hello Sadness by Los Campesinos! (Audio CD - 2011)