Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Original Packaging|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 April 2012
I bought a bag of this compost through a town store, because it was so light and easy to carry home when you don't have a car. I was hoping it was worth the price, which seemed high for such a small bag, but it said it would increase to 3 times the quantity when water was added.

On use, it does produce some fine dust when poured out of the bag, but this is overcome by using it outside and standing up wind!! The quantity of dust I found to be very small, in fact negligible. However if someone has asthma or other breathing difficulties this may be something to think about.

When I added water to the first 2 litre pot, it seemed to take ages to hydrate when I placed the pot in a container of water. So I decided to do larger quantities along with a hosepipe. I used an 18 litre trug, with a few holes in the bottom, and filled it to a third full with this compost. I then sprayed the compost with a fine jet of water and it began to expand, however there still appeared to be a lot of dry compost remaining underneath.

So I next buried the head of the hose in the middle of the compost and turned the water on. Hey presto, the compost began to expand at a rapid rate of knots, so I plunged the hose into the compost in different places and within a few minutes the compost had expanded to the size of the trug. I have used this method on 3 occasions now, burying the head of the hose in the compost and turning on the water. This appears to be the fastest and most efficient way to get the compost to hydrate.

I have not had any problem with the compost drying out and reverting to its original form. I have found if it dries, it responds like most other composts. It seperates from the edges of the container, looks a different colour etc, but the quantity does not diminish significantly.

So I find this very useful, being older and having no car. It is light to transport and easy to lift in order to fill plant pots. Hydrating the compost can be slow using the recommended method, however I found it easily done with a bit of thought and some experimentation. Problem solving does help keep the old grey cells working :-D
33 comments|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2012
I have used the Miracle-Gro concentrated compost before, but in a smaller bag. This was just as easy to use. I needed to repot a large palm and had no problems. Best to put about 2 to 3 inches in the bottom, put in some tepid or warm water slowly then use a garden fork to make sure the water gets all the way through the compost. If you want to fill a large pot all the way to just below the rim, put in another 2 to 3 inches and follow the same procedure. It might be a bit drawn out but its the best way to make sure the water gets to all the compost. I have planted 3 lots of different flowers so will see how it goes.
on 6 June 2012
I love this soil,it takes up so little space in the shed and when it comes to using it,nothing could be simpler,just add water and mix.I will definitely use this again.
on 13 March 2012
As it really does expand up to three times the small bag makes a lot of compost without me needing to carry heavier & inferior compost bags. I like the fact that it's 100% peat free so its good for the environment too. It really helped my back not having to carry watering cans so often as it really does hold moisture longer. I would recommend it to anyone as my plants are thriving!
on 18 May 2012
I'll keep it brief, i expanded what i needed in a bucket -seemed easier due to drainage holes in my pots. for a peat free compost I have to say it has the best look and feel of all the peat free's I have tried. Plants seem to be doing well. Much easier to store, easier to buy in bulk, Got 8 bags in my car, if I bought 'normal' compost max my car can take is 3 :(

Great I can buy it on-line too, not many places deliver compost bought on-line :) nice one Amazon and Miracle-Gro.

M.Callaghan
on 14 March 2015
I bought this from a store as seed compost. It is far too coarse & lumpy for seed planting! It may be OK for general potting compost, but not suitable for seeds.
review image
on 8 August 2014
I have used Miracle-Gro for gardening most of my life (I'm in my 50s now) and the products I have had no problems with until now. Bag turned up fast enough but no idea what was wrong with it. After adding water as instructed the end product fitted back into the bag -certainly not the amount indicated. I used 5 coiar blocks (each 10ltr) the same day that should have equalled the amount promised by Miracle-Gro but in fact exceeded Miracle-Gro which did not give the 50 ltres. Odd. Very disappointed.
on 30 March 2015
I bought this to use for plug plants and seeds. I originally tried mixing it in a bucket, but mine just didn't expand, despite string it for what seemed like ages. My bag also contained a lot of large hard lumps and what looked like clumps of roots and paper shredding. I even pulled out a strand of plastic. I gave up and went back to buy normal compost.

The plants that were planted in this seem to be doing fine though, but despite being soaked by a misting system, the soil still has yet to expand beyond what I placed in the pots.
on 27 May 2015
I've been gardening for 20 years and this is very good stuff, if you can use it in the right way. Let me list the pros and cons:

Pros:
* Extremely lightweight - even when fully hydrated. This makes carrying pots easier and easy to carry the compost bags around.
* Excellent for free draining plants. If you're looking for a free draining compost then this is perfect.
* Has excellent moisture retention to weight ratio. It holds a fair amount of water without getting waterlogged
* Hard to compact. It's hard to overfill or compress soil when potting although you can 'press' this soil a bit to make it denser if required.
* Attractive - the reddish colour looks great on many plants.
* Indicative - The compost drying is easy to see - and whether this is surface or deeper. This is quite handy for me and really helps.
* Can't overwater - it's impossible to over water with this stuff.
* It really does inflate - it's so light to handle and easy to take to where I'm working.
* Stuff grows well - growth is impressive so far!
* Takes watering - it doesn't move around when spraying or watering - which is a nice side benefit - it's sticks together well when wetted so doesn't run or move to one side of the pot easily.

Cons:
* Whilst it's good and has decent moisture retention, it can dry out faster than say a John Innes, Garden Soil or Multi-Purpose that has soil content. If you're used to fibre composts or you mix this kind of stuff with soil or John Innes - it's a great tool.
* You need to make sure it's properly hydrated and mixed - no chucking it in a bucket and spraying it with water. If you don't mix it well, you get dry bits and lumps in the mix.
* If you've got a thirsty plant or require a soil that's not as free draining - mix this with soil, John Innes or other compost. You just need to match this compost (or your mix) correctly for the plant. I can see some people getting hacked off this dries out too quickly and if so, change the soil type to better match the plant.
on 17 May 2012
The compost has gone a long way so far, so perfect for me in my tiny house and garden situation. Its lightweight compared to other compost bags in a resealable bag so ok to store outside, away from my childrens prying hands. I used it mainly in peat pots, and found it was easier to mix evenly if i sprayed the pot first with water and added a bit of compost at a time, spraying with water (from a pressured water gun) and stirring with a fork, then added my plant plugs and covered with a little more exand-n-grow (leaving about 0.5" from the top of the pot for expansion)and finally watering in. plants have loved it, sunflowers growing lovely and tall and cuttings doing very well. i am however a first time gardner so where more experienced gardners may have their quibbles ,i ,however, am very happy :)