I bought a bag of this compost through a town store, because it was so light and easy to carry home when you don't have a car. I was hoping it was worth the price, which seemed high for such a small bag, but it said it would increase to 3 times the quantity when water was added.

Published on 16 April 2012 by Miss Liz

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Limited Usefulness
I live 6 floors up and have to carry things for my roof garden through my apartment. 50 litre bags of compost are a problem, even with a lift and I thought this would help.
Published on 10 Jun 2012 by Hipster

4.0 out of 5 stars I think this is great, especially if lifting heavy weights is difficult, 16 April 2012
Miss Liz "mogwilover" (West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Miracle-Gro Expand 'n Gro Concentrated Enriched Compost 18 Litres (expands to 50 Litres) (Garden & Outdoors)

On use, it does produce some fine dust when poured out of the bag, but this is overcome by using it outside and standing up wind!! The quantity of dust I found to be very small, in fact negligible. However if someone has asthma or other breathing difficulties this may be something to think about.

When I added water to the first 2 litre pot, it seemed to take ages to hydrate when I placed the pot in a container of water. So I decided to do larger quantities along with a hosepipe. I used an 18 litre trug, with a few holes in the bottom, and filled it to a third full with this compost. I then sprayed the compost with a fine jet of water and it began to expand, however there still appeared to be a lot of dry compost remaining underneath.

So I next buried the head of the hose in the middle of the compost and turned the water on. Hey presto, the compost began to expand at a rapid rate of knots, so I plunged the hose into the compost in different places and within a few minutes the compost had expanded to the size of the trug. I have used this method on 3 occasions now, burying the head of the hose in the compost and turning on the water. This appears to be the fastest and most efficient way to get the compost to hydrate.

I have not had any problem with the compost drying out and reverting to its original form. I have found if it dries, it responds like most other composts. It seperates from the edges of the container, looks a different colour etc, but the quantity does not diminish significantly.

So I find this very useful, being older and having no car. It is light to transport and easy to lift in order to fill plant pots. Hydrating the compost can be slow using the recommended method, however I found it easily done with a bit of thought and some experimentation. Problem solving does help keep the old grey cells working :-D

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for bad backs too!, 13 Mar 2012
As it really does expand up to three times the small bag makes a lot of compost without me needing to carry heavier & inferior compost bags. I like the fact that it's 100% peat free so its good for the environment too. It really helped my back not having to carry watering cans so often as it really does hold moisture longer. I would recommend it to anyone as my plants are thriving!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 8 May 2012
Terri (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used the Miracle-Gro concentrated compost before, but in a smaller bag. This was just as easy to use. I needed to repot a large palm and had no problems. Best to put about 2 to 3 inches in the bottom, put in some tepid or warm water slowly then use a garden fork to make sure the water gets all the way through the compost. If you want to fill a large pot all the way to just below the rim, put in another 2 to 3 inches and follow the same procedure. It might be a bit drawn out but its the best way to make sure the water gets to all the compost. I have planted 3 lots of different flowers so will see how it goes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Limited Usefulness, 10 Jun 2012
Mixing it according to the instructions is very time consuming so I followed another reviewers lead and filled a bucket 1/3 full and then stuck the hose in the bottom of the bucket to let the water rise. This worked quite well and was easy. A bucket with a 1/3 compost, well mixed, expands to about 3/4 full. Allowing for the shape of the bucket this means that it is my experience that the Miracle-Gro does not expand three times, it expands approx two and a half times. This means that 18 litres of ready to use compost actually produces less than 45 litres, and 50 litres actually costs over 10!!! I have reverted to my previous method of buying several 20 litre bags of multi-purpose Miracle-Gro, each one weighs about the same as the expanding type, for 2.50 each (5 for 2)at my local Haskins. The trouble of carrying more bags is much less than the time spent mixing the expanding compost a bucket at a time. This product would be ideal for indoor plants, i.e. used in small containers, and the self-sealing bag would be a big plus, but I think that the manufactures need to do more development and reduce the price for any other use.

5.0 out of 5 stars great soil, 6 Jun 2012
I love this soil,it takes up so little space in the shed and when it comes to using it,nothing could be simpler,just add water and mix.I will definitely use this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does as it claims - what more can you ask for?, 18 May 2012
I'll keep it brief, i expanded what i needed in a bucket -seemed easier due to drainage holes in my pots. for a peat free compost I have to say it has the best look and feel of all the peat free's I have tried. Plants seem to be doing well. Much easier to store, easier to buy in bulk, Got 8 bags in my car, if I bought 'normal' compost max my car can take is 3 :(

Great I can buy it on-line too, not many places deliver compost bought on-line :) nice one Amazon and Miracle-Gro.

M.Callaghan

5.0 out of 5 stars great for small house/garden situations, 17 May 2012
The compost has gone a long way so far, so perfect for me in my tiny house and garden situation. Its lightweight compared to other compost bags in a resealable bag so ok to store outside, away from my childrens prying hands. I used it mainly in peat pots, and found it was easier to mix evenly if i sprayed the pot first with water and added a bit of compost at a time, spraying with water (from a pressured water gun) and stirring with a fork, then added my plant plugs and covered with a little more exand-n-grow (leaving about 0.5" from the top of the pot for expansion)and finally watering in. plants have loved it, sunflowers growing lovely and tall and cuttings doing very well. i am however a first time gardner so where more experienced gardners may have their quibbles ,i ,however, am very happy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Mar 2012
I found this product to be very good, and worked very well for the plants I used it on. I am not good at remembering to water my plants and found that I did not have the disasters I usually have as it seems to retain water a lot longer than usual.
The size makes it a lot easier to manage and store as well.
It was also a good way to get my young sons interested in growing plants as they loved watching it expand, and then liked seeing their plants growing afterwards.

Would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars miracle grow, 27 April 2012
its great stuff which expands faster and more than it says on the packet , its great for filling in gaps in the flower border and was delivered very quickly

5.0 out of 5 stars great compost, 29 Mar 2014
Mrs. Lynnica Hansell (telford england) - See all my reviews
this compost is very good for flowers. also being concentrated means the bags are smaller and can easily be handled. swear by miracle grow products